Going Offroad

Going Offroad

This is a discussion on Going Offroad within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I hit the trails this weekend as part of a dealership sponsored & club supported Land Rover Wheels Event. I was the only Evoque in ...

Thread: Going Offroad

Member #

Going Offroad

I hit the trails this weekend as part of a dealership sponsored & club supported Land Rover Wheels Event. I was the only Evoque in a field of some 30 Land Rover vehicles. At the beginning they said there would be a few spots I would have to circumvent because of the Evoques limitations in clearance, power, etc., but in the end, the Evoque ripped through it all. We actually had one of the other vehicle (LR4 I heard) have to get winched up out of a bind and another slammed a tree.

Anyway, here's some pics if you're interested:

Land Rover Wheels Event 2012 - a set on Flickr

I've driven Jeeps & Explorers offroad all my life and was honestly impressed with how the Evoque performed. I did have some minor battle scars though. The double shelf mangled the front air deflectors just under the bumber, in front of the wheels. They could be removed easily, so I'd suggest anyone looking to do some legit off-roading to maybe pop them off prior to going.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Glen Rose - really? That's close... I would have chickened out and not tried to drive the Evoque's envelope of capabilities.

I know I read somewhere that for some situations you're supposed to remove that lower front piece before offroading. Is that in the owner's manual? I can't find anything when I'm looking for it!

Member #
    I have seen these evoques are quite capable off road. However, I am not sure I would want to risk scratching my baby. So far my 300 foot long gravel drive is the off road it has seen.

2012 Dynamic 5 door, Fuji White and Santorini black top, Lunar interior Style 6 sparkle rims, Climate comfort, adaptive dynamic, Sat and HD radio
    2012 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLTRXSE Harley Davidson Roadglide White Gold Pearl and Starfire Black
    2013 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLHRSE5 Harley Davidson Road King an ultra-premium Diamond Dust, Obsidian and Palladium paint scheme, 110th Anniversary Edition.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Welcome to the site, glad to see another one put to good use off road, glad to hear the good report!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cousin.it View Post
    Glen Rose - really? That's close... I would have chickened out and not tried to drive the Evoque's envelope of capabilities.

I know I read somewhere that for some situations you're supposed to remove that lower front piece before offroading. Is that in the owner's manual? I can't find anything when I'm looking for it!
    Heh, well I didn't read that anywhere, I just know they come off easily because I had to remove the mangled plastic afterward. Really not a big deal though, they should be easy to replace (I hope).

Yeah the Wheels Event was free itself, with a reduced rate to stay at the Rough Creek Lodge, which, if you haven't been there, is really fun. It's not cheap ($500-600/night for a couple) but you get top notch meals included and there is a whole host of "Texas resort" inclusions like hunting, rifle range, archery, tomahawk throwing, fishing, etc. etc. It's a splurge, but if you take advantage of what they have to offer, it's worth it.

The trail we went on was created and is maintained bu the local chapter of the Texas Rovers Range Rover club ( Texas Rovers ) and I'm not sure it's open to the public but if you hook up with the group you might have open access.

Actually there were two other Evoques there that did chicken out. I wanted to push the vehicle to see what it could do. No scratches. No dents. All good.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by FLSTFIDave View Post
    I have seen these evoques are quite capable off road. However, I am not sure I would want to risk scratching my baby. So far my 300 foot long gravel drive is the off road it has seen.
    Come on! It's an off-road vehicle for a reason.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by infinus View Post
    Welcome to the site, glad to see another one put to good use off road, glad to hear the good report!
    Thanks!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mondotikiman View Post
    Come on! It's an off-road vehicle for a reason.
    I know, however I have a 4x4 Truck. I also have acess to both my brothers Jeeps which are well lifted with 35's on one and 37" tires on the other.

2012 Dynamic 5 door, Fuji White and Santorini black top, Lunar interior Style 6 sparkle rims, Climate comfort, adaptive dynamic, Sat and HD radio
    2012 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLTRXSE Harley Davidson Roadglide White Gold Pearl and Starfire Black
    2013 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLHRSE5 Harley Davidson Road King an ultra-premium Diamond Dust, Obsidian and Palladium paint scheme, 110th Anniversary Edition.

Ads