Evoque Engine Cooling Fan won't shut off

This is a discussion on Evoque Engine Cooling Fan won't shut off within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I have a 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure. Battery died yesterday, from what I see now it may have been due to the Engine cooling ...

Member #

I have a 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure.
    Battery died yesterday, from what I see now it may have been due to the Engine cooling fan continuously running.

Any ideas on why the fan won't turn off?
    -I left it sitting for 30 min (vehicle shut off) still not off (Vehicle left on for 30) still not off, detached battery left off 9 hours (overnight) plug battery in and first thing to continue running is the Engine Cooling Fan and it still was running.

Why would the fan continue running? I have no check engine lights on temperature doesn't increase, no other issues happening besides the fan staying on and running down my battery.

Help would be appreciated before I spend $100's at Range Rover for them to tell me it was a 10 dollar fan sensor.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Welcome to the forum!

I found the description below in the Factory Service Manual. Don't know if this will help or not, but thought I'd pass it along.

"The cooling fans are operated by a fan control module which is located at the rear of the LH (left-hand) cooling fan motor. The fan control module regulates the voltage, and subsequently the speed, of the cooling fan motors in response to a PWM (pulse width modulation) signal from the ECM (engine control module). The ECM calculates the required fan speeds from the engine temperature, A/C system pressure and transmission fluid temperature.

Under hot operating conditions, the
    fans may continue to operate for up to four minutes after the engine has been switched off.
    The speed of the cooling fans is also influenced by vehicle road speed. The ECM adjusts the speed of the cooling fans, to compensate for the ram effect of vehicle speed, using the CAN (controller area network) road speed signal received from the ABS (anti-lock brake system) module."

The BAD news if the control module is bad...

"
    The cooling fan control module is also mounted on the shroud, behind the LH fan motor. The shroud incorporates 4 speed flaps, which pivot open to allow engine compartment cooling at speed.
    The shroud, fans and module are supplied as one assembly and individual parts are not serviceable."

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsquared View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

I found the description below in the Factory Service Manual. Don't know if this will help or not, but thought I'd pass it along.

"The cooling fans are operated by a fan control module which is located at the rear of the LH (left-hand) cooling fan motor. The fan control module regulates the voltage, and subsequently the speed, of the cooling fan motors in response to a PWM (pulse width modulation) signal from the ECM (engine control module). The ECM calculates the required fan speeds from the engine temperature, A/C system pressure and transmission fluid temperature.

Under hot operating conditions, the
    fans may continue to operate for up to four minutes after the engine has been switched off.
    The speed of the cooling fans is also influenced by vehicle road speed. The ECM adjusts the speed of the cooling fans, to compensate for the ram effect of vehicle speed, using the CAN (controller area network) road speed signal received from the ABS (anti-lock brake system) module."

The BAD news if the control module is bad...

"
    The cooling fan control module is also mounted on the shroud, behind the LH fan motor. The shroud incorporates 4 speed flaps, which pivot open to allow engine compartment cooling at speed.
    The shroud, fans and module are supplied as one assembly and individual parts are not serviceable."

Actually. You helped a lot. I knew it was a module, motor or connection issue of some sort but t this helped and now you have saved me whatever the cost may have been. Will be fixing the issue myself. Thanks @Rsquared

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Glad this info helped. Let us know what you did to fix the problem, and good luck.

Member #

Lightbulb I had the same issue!

I just had this problem a few weeks ago. Odd that it happened couple days after someone rear-ended me. It wasn't a big damage but when I dropped off at the collision repair shop, the fan2 stays on full blast until it drains the battery. Insurance won't pay, I took it to the dealership and knew I'm going to waste my money on diagnostic ($150) as they cannot relate it to the accident, but I had to make sure. They requested to have the whole fans and module replacement for around $2500 + $400 for the battery. I denied the repairs as I know my battery is still good since it's only 5 months old that's still under warranty. I have a battery charger, order the fan module for about $160 (can get it from China for $40 but I need it fast), replaced with just removing one screw from the module. I'm back driving it like new again. I came to agreed that this is not accident related because I'm at 110k miles and glad it actually made it this far with couple self-repairable issues.

Google: Evoque fan control module - mfg part# 7T438C609BA
    Last edited by Mystikal79; 07-31-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Member #

Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Mystikal79 View Post
    I just had this problem a few weeks ago. Odd that it happened couple days after someone rear-ended me. It wasn't a big damage but when I dropped off at the collision repair shop, the fan2 stays on full blast until it drains the battery. Insurance won't pay, I took it to the dealership and knew I'm going to waste my money on diagnostic ($150) as they cannot relate it to the accident, but I had to make sure. They requested to have the whole fans and module replacement for around $2500 + $400 for the battery. I denied the repairs as I know my battery is still good since it's only 5 months old that's still under warranty. I have a battery charger, order the fan module for about $160 (can get it from China for $40 but I need it fast), replaced with just removing one screw from the module. I'm back driving it like new again. I came to agreed that this is not accident related because I'm at 110k miles and glad it actually made it this far with couple self-repairable issues.
    Yep I had a place tell me $1800 needing a whole new module but needed to replace the fans entirely as well they do not sell the module <-- BS. Found out from rockauto.com you can get any part you ever need for any vehicle cheaper. Also took it to the place I bought it and they are doing the diagnostic said module worked fine but they are now checking it out. Waterpump was leaking which i think caused the fan to have issues of staying on (hopefully that is the real case) otherwise a new module is in order.

Glad yours worked out. I also was lucky enough to have 2 places tell me the problem (couldn't fix) but also didn't charge for diagnostic.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystikal79 View Post
    Hi, how hard was it to replace the module?Do I have to remove grill or bumper? I just ordered mine for $160 yestrerday, hope I can do this by my self.

Ads