Engine Advice

Engine Advice

This is a discussion on Engine Advice within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Hello all, I apologize in advance if I have duplicated a post - I am new to the forum. I am looking for some advice ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By evoque.em

Thread: Engine Advice

Member #

Engine Advice

Hello all,

I apologize in advance if I have duplicated a post - I am new to the forum. I am looking for some advice please. I have a 2013 Range Rover Evoque which I love. I was driving along the freeway and the car went in to performance restricted mode at around 75/80 mph. I had my foot to the floor and the car shuddered and didn't sound great. I live in CA so no rain here and weather conditions were slightly overcast. I was fortunate that I was able to get the car from the far left lane to a median without killing myself and my kids or anyone else. I turned the engine off and restarted it. My coolant light came on but the car started again much to my relief. Anyhow, I took the car to an independent garage that specialize in British cars. The car was plugged in to the computer and I was informed there was no compression to cylinder two, they also found some issues with the coils. I contacted LRJ corporate who were not happy I didn't take it to them but to an independent garage. I Had the car towed to my nearest LRJ dealership and they have been great. LRJ have found the same issues that our mechanic told us about. The entire engine needs to be replaced which seems absurd for a car with not a huge amount of mileage on it. The car has done 43,000 miles and I bought it from LRJ with 34,000 on it. So this is my dilemma, we have always had LR4's and this is our first evoque, LRJ are paying to replace the engine and will return it to us. I am worried about how this will impact us if we wish to sell the car on now with a new engine in place. I don't feel safe in the car and would prefer not to take any chances moving forward as I had no issues with our previous LR's. I have explained this to the dealership and they are very understanding. I would hate to think that we were sold a lemon but I feel that is exactly what has happened. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    GTurner likes this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I can understand your concern about feeling unsure after a major service like a replacement engine, but I will offer my thoughts incase it helps. Its rare that a 5 year old vehicle has so little miles on it, it sounds like it does not get driven much or did not prior to your ownership. As a comparison, my 2012 evoque has over 100k miles now and it has been relatively inexpensive and low maintenance. I have been driving LR products since 1990 and the evoque, while not being a rough and tough as my previous rovers, is by far my favorite and fits my current lifestyle better. I was in the process of buying a LR4 when I saw this in the dealership and fell for it.

Back to your case. Its great that LR is ponying up for the replacement engine, sounds like you have a good relationship with a great dealer. I also think its great that you are likely getting a newer version of the 2L engine since I expect that the only ones available are brand new. So in my view that's an improvement and would increase the value of the car. The new engine will likely come with new ignition, fuel system, new EGR, etc... Sadly if the dealer is not capable of doing such a major repair then it could be a detriment, but most dealers should have the capability of replacing the engine as a unit.

I would go with the new engine and be more confident than the previous extremely low mileage one.

Member #
    Thank you for the advice 🙂 I received the car back with the new engine a couple of weeks ago. I spoke to the guys at RR extensively and no one could advise if the new engine would work in our favor or not if we sell it. I also made it quite clear I was apprehensive to drive it again. Today I was driving and the car shifted from automatic to manual (of its own volition might I add!) and the engine warning light came back on again. The car is making a strange noise whilst driving. It has not been assessed yet. I have lost faith in my evoque and LR USA. I will be reaching back out to them on Monday. My evoque is back in to the dealership on Tuesday. I’m so disappointed at this moment in time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by evoque.em View Post
    Thank you for the advice 🙂 I received the car back with the new engine a couple of weeks ago. I spoke to the guys at RR extensively and no one could advise if the new engine would work in our favor or not if we sell it. I also made it quite clear I was apprehensive to drive it again. Today I was driving and the car shifted from automatic to manual (of its own volition might I add!) and the engine warning light came back on again. The car is making a strange noise whilst driving. It has not been assessed yet. I have lost faith in my evoque and LR USA. I will be reaching back out to them on Monday. My evoque is back in to the dealership on Tuesday. I’m so disappointed at this moment in time.
    My experience is that it will make little to no difference on a trade in. You may be able to get more if you sell it privately.

Member #
    Thanks! Well the car was taken back in to the dealership and they replaced the fuel pump. They couldn’t work out why the car shifted from automatic to manual nor can they work out what the clunking sound is. I’m picking the evoque back up tomorrow. Corporate called today and have said they will not purchase the car back even though it has cut out three times, engine has been replaced, fuel pump has been replaced etc. in another two weeks it will be back in for something else. They advised me to contact the BBB 🙄 I don’t like how LRJ operates. I believe the car was a buy back from previous owner and they sold it on knowing that the evoques are problematic to say the least. I dread driving my car now and hate it.

Member #
    Update - I picked the car up and managed to get two days before the engine warning light came on 😬 the engine doesn’t sound great and it’s jittery to drive. Weird thing is the car was parked and when we returned to it, the passenger window was down and the seat had raised really high. Same again this evening! So weird. Car back to the dealership again on Tuesday. They urged me to contact LRJ Corporate because this is the third time they’ve seen the car for the same issue. I have a total 🍋 🍋 🍋 for a car!

Member #
    Wow.. I have the VERY same issue.. cyl 3 instead.. now trying to decide if I should tear down hope it is just gaskets or rods or replace eng.. sounds like you are in a nightmare after eng. replacement... I am amazed that you WERE able to get them to pay for your replacement also. I purchased mine from carmax so that is most likely the reason I am stuck with this 10 to 13K cost of a new eng. Car is low miles also and stuck with it since I cannot see junking the thing.
    If you are having all these issues at a auth. RR dealership, I am afraid will most likely go through the same. I DID however check with the dealership in my hometown to see if the tech. working on my car is in fact certified. I as assured he was...but they can tell you anything. I really feel for you. I am totally depressed about spending this much on a car I have even paid for completely yet. Your best best it to try and sell privately as mentioned and at least you may recoupe
    some of your purchase cost...

Ads