Transmission Failure at 48k miles - need help

This is a discussion on Transmission Failure at 48k miles - need help within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; hey gang. i have a 2014 dynamic evoque. we bought it in late 2015 and had it serviced at the local dealership on time every ...

Member #

hey gang. i have a 2014 dynamic evoque. we bought it in late 2015 and had it serviced at the local dealership on time every time. its used as a daily commuter. 15k miles a year since we had it. The code PO741-07 popped up. a torque converter or gear box failure. Took it to the dealership. they told us that the transmission needs to be replaced. There are no apparent issues with the way it drives at all.

We were told that the transaxel is 20k to replace. the value of the car is around 25k now. we are dumbfounded. We had no idea that a transmission repair could be this much. to make it worse, while we are still within the 50k warranty threshold, the car was used as a loaner for the dealership while people are having their cars repaired for the first year. we have been informed that while we are the first owners, the warranty went into effect when it became a loaner, so we are out of warranty. This was never explained to us when we bought it. they are saying the 20k is on us. my regular mechanic looked at it for me and said that he cant fix it because they sell the transaxel in one whole unit. so while it may be a 100$ part in the gearbox that is possibly failing (we cant even confirm that because it still drives well) we have to buy the whole transaxel for 15k. this just seems insane for a car that has been babied like ours.

looking for any advice or info on where we should turn or what to do.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    The P0741-07 code says there is a 200 RPM difference between the torque converter and the transmission shaft. There are several things that can cause this, not necessarily a bad transmission. Of course, that could also be the case. If it were me, I would have the transmission fluid drained and replaced. I know the trans fluid is supposed to be "life time" fluid, but it might be worth a try. Don't know what a drain and refill costs, but it will be a small fraction of a new trans.

Let us know how you make out.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsquared View Post
    The P0741-07 code says there is a 200 RPM difference between the torque converter and the transmission shaft. There are several things that can cause this, not necessarily a bad transmission. Of course, that could also be the case. If it were me, I would have the transmission fluid drained and replaced. I know the trans fluid is supposed to be "life time" fluid, but it might be worth a try. Don't know what a drain and refill costs, but it will be a small fraction of a new trans.

Let us know how you make out.
    they said that the fluid was full and there was no sign of a leak at all. they also noted that there were metal flecks in the fluid when they checked it. you still think its worth doing that?

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    If it were me, I would still have the fluid replaced. IMHO it's worth a try to avoid a $20k trans replacement.

Member #
    I think I saw where the cost of the transmission was something like $12,000. So are they charging $8,000 to replace it? Maybe that was the cost of the 6 speed, but I thought it was the 9.

If the car was worth $25k there is no way I would spend $25k on it. I'm not sure if you are a DIY mechanic, but I would part it out. I'm not sure how many transmission shops could rebuild the 9 speed transmission, but if you could I expect it would be cheaper than buying a new one.

Regarding the fluid, you should get a sample in a bottle and have an analysis done on it to see exactly what is in it. I haven't used Blackstone yet, but I know many that have. They send a bottle for free I think and they are very affordable.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Good luck and please keep us posted. I've never owned a vehicle that gave me anxiety as the end of the warranty approached like this one did. I feel like I'm driving around in with a time bomb about to explode and cost me $10k. My warranty just expired and later I checked and it had about 10 codes (none of which had turn on the check engine light). My wife's 12 year old infiniti with 250k miles has only 2 and they are related to the tire pressure sensor batteries being dead.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    The ZF 9 speed automatic is used across a wide variety of car lines, not just Land Rover. Surely, there is a source for a rebuilt transmission at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Member #
    If you google the ZF 9 speed is seems like nobody is happy with them. It seems that there have been recalls on some cars, but LR isn't mentioned.

https://www.mytransmissionexperts.co...-speed-recall/

Member #
    This place sells rebuilt transmissions with a 1 year warranty for all years of the evoque for just under $5k with free shipping and core return. I'm not sure how difficult the install would be.

Roverland Parts - Your source for Land Rover Parts - Transmissions (Rebuilt)

This place has them for $3828 (not including freight) and has a 5 year warranty!

https://www.transmissionsexpress.com...transmissions/

I think direct from LR they are over $12,000. So if they are saying it is $20,000 to replace are they charging you $8,000 in labor? I know some other parts like the cooler and the lines must be replaced too. But even if there is an additional $2,000 in parts that is still $6,000 in labor.
    Last edited by lemmy999; 01-18-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Ads