ANGRY - Crack in Exhaust/Turbo Manifold!!! - Page 2

ANGRY - Crack in Exhaust/Turbo Manifold!!!

This is a discussion on ANGRY - Crack in Exhaust/Turbo Manifold!!! within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Originally Posted by WiscoRover UPDATE: Well I ended up buying the part online.. a Borg Warner Tuebo exhaust manifold. Found a mechanic in town that ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ANGRY - Crack in Exhaust/Turbo Manifold!!!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscoRover View Post
    UPDATE:

Well I ended up buying the part online.. a Borg Warner Tuebo exhaust manifold. Found a mechanic in town that has done this repair before. I dropped off Rover in the morning, and picked her up fixed in the late afternoon. All said, cost about $2300.00.

That said, the unit is actually two pieces. The turbo is clamped on to the manifold.. so one could potentially buy turbo / and or exhaust manifold part separate. I have my previous Turbo that is in perfect condition clamped/ attached to the exhaust manifold as it came on the Suv in my basement. The turbo is in excellent condition, and the manifold has 2 tiny cracks on it right at the seam. In hindsight I should have just simply had a welder make a tiny simple weld or repair with JD weld paste. Would have done the trick. If anyone else has this issue, I'll sell mine to you.. make the simple repair and away you go. Save you a ton of money and headaches...

I'm glad you got yours fixed! So do you think oem manifold is made by Borg Warnger too or just the one you purchased? If I had problems I was thinking of getting this ($1600) (It looks to be identical to the OEM manifold) :

https://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/40-31553_BW

If you don't mind, can you tell us how many hours of labor your mechanic charged for the job?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltrx View Post
    I wish I had found this company ( TPC ) when I had to replace my turbo. It cost me Canadian $5200 the turbo unit was Canadian $3064 alone.
    I knew there where people out there rebuilding turbos but did not find anyone on the internet who did the Evoque let alone someone a couple of hours up the road. I know for the next time.
    If you have a hoist it is an easy job to replace the unit if you have a good tool kit. Even after spending all that money I still had to get under the car and had to refit the firewall insulation as the dealer had used putty to hold it in place instead of the proper button clips. why he had even touched I will never know but touch it he did and left it resting against the exhaust. They also change the oil but left it 2 pints short.
    The service managers response was "oh" and could not get of the phone quick enough.
    I agree that replacing it doesn't look to bad. Removing the front subframe is the only part that looks a little cumbersome. After that it looks pretty straightforward and there is plenty of room between the engine and the manifold.

I have only had my Evoque in to the dealer once time (warranty repair) and it came back with a gouge on the front bumper and one of the pins missing. Now that I am out of warranty I will do everything I can myself and if it is something I can't handle I will try to find some other alternative.

Member #
    Mine did it
    with less than 50k on the odometer 2012 aftermarket warranty paid for the replacement

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by redrovor View Post
    Mine did it
    with less than 50k on the odometer 2012 aftermarket warranty paid for the replacement
    What are the symptoms of this issue? My 2015 pure plus with 60K miles has a throaty sound coming from the area under the drivers seat. I started noticing it a few days ago. No smell inside the car. How can I tell I have the problem? Any help appreciated.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by redrovor View Post
    Mine did it
    Can you tell me what aftermarket warranty you have? I was wanting one but can't find a good one.

Member #
    Thats really shitty. I Would have said something earlier if I saw it. My 13 cracked in December. Warranty covered it. Are you under CPO or original warranty? that may be the reason. I would still argue it. SOmething like- BS- the exhaust clearly drives the turbo
    to meet the proper 10:1 compression of the engine or it'll know and without that compression the engine fails...etc something technical. Anyway since they refused to cover it you have the right to file a compliant to to your state DMV about not covering it. Send one copy to your warranty guy and the second to your dmv. Ive done this on other cars.
    Last edited by aulus; 02-15-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Member #
    I own a 2013 pure plus with 47k miles on it... When I start the car and switch on the heater I can smell gas/exhaust for about a minute before it goes away. Could my issue be the same as stated here ?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by vx_evoque View Post
    I own a 2013 pure plus with 47k miles on it... When I start the car and switch on the heater I can smell gas/exhaust for about a minute before it goes away. Could my issue be the same as stated here ?

That's exactly the same car as me with the same miles when it happened. That's exactly what the problem is. Let me know if you want my turbo manifold.. it has two very small cracks that can very easily be welded. Can save you a ton of money as you don't need to be without a vehicle for a long time and don't need to spend the 2500+ we all did 😞

Member #
    Do you know if it always cracks in the same place? It just sucks going through all of this effort to change it when you know a new one would only last 50,000 miles. I have kept most of my vehicles to at least 150k..so that would mean replacing it twice. I have exactly 50k on mine and so far no smell. But I have heard 60k-70k is about the best you can hope for.

Member #
    You don, need to remove the sub frame it will come out with it in place from the underneath

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ads