ANGRY - Crack in Exhaust/Turbo Manifold!!! - Page 3

ANGRY - Crack in Exhaust/Turbo Manifold!!!

This is a discussion on ANGRY - Crack in Exhaust/Turbo Manifold!!! within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I'm curious as to model year. Is the turbo and exhuast manifold the same on all years 2012-2017?...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ANGRY - Crack in Exhaust/Turbo Manifold!!!

Member #
    I'm curious as to model year. Is the turbo and exhuast manifold the same on all years 2012-2017?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    We seem to have two separate issue going on here. Turbo failure and manifold cracking. Turbo failure in my case had all the symptoms of a bearing failure, as I did not get the opportunity to carry out a failure analysis, that is based on my experience of working with turbocharged engines for many years. I did not have any manifold cracking.
    The manifold cracking is not likey related to or the cause of the turbo failure. The manifold used is a pressed steel type and cheap and will fail due to heat cycle related fatigue it’s just a matter of time. You should notice a lack of power with a cracked exhaust manifold, as well as some noise under acceleration, as you are losing exhaust pressure due to the leakage and it is exhaust gas flow that drives the turbo. It may be difficult to notice due to the transmission either downshifting of holding a lower gear to compensate.
    Whatever failure you experience it is still a crock and is the result of some cost exercise that we ultimately end up paying for

Member #
    [QUOTE=lemmy999;25780]
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscoRover View Post
    UPDATE:

Well I ended up buying the part online.. a Borg Warner Tuebo exhaust manifold. Found a mechanic in town that has done this repair before. I dropped off Rover in the morning, and picked her up fixed in the late afternoon. All said, cost about $2300.00.

That said, the unit is actually two pieces. The turbo is clamped on to the manifold.. so one could potentially buy turbo / and or exhaust manifold part separate. I have my previous Turbo that is in perfect condition clamped/ attached to the exhaust manifold as it came on the Suv in my basement. The turbo is in excellent condition, and the manifold has 2 tiny cracks on it right at the seam. In hindsight I should have just simply had a welder make a tiny simple weld or repair with JD weld paste. Would have done the trick. If anyone else has this issue, I'll sell mine to you.. make the simple repair and away you go. Save you a ton of money and

I'm glad you got yours fixed! So do you think oem manifold is made by Borg Warnger too or just the one you purchased? If I had problems I was thinking of getting this ($1600) (It looks to be identical to the OEM manifold) :

https://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/40-31553_BW

If you don't mind, can you tell us how many hours of labor your mechanic charged for the job?

Sorry.. just saw this reply.. he charged me $575 in labor. Think it's a 5.5 hour job.

Again, if anyone needs a gently used turbo/manifold setup. Let me know. Save you a ton of money. And yes the stock and replacement are both Borg Warner

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonomadoug View Post
    I'm curious as to model year. Is the turbo and exhuast manifold the same on all years 2012-2017?

Yes. Same product.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltrx View Post
    You don, need to remove the sub frame it will come out with it in place from the underneath
    Really?? That is great news! The manual shows taking the subframe off and that appears to be the largest amount of work to removing it.

Member #
    We seem to have two separate issue going on here. Turbo failure and manifold cracking. Turbo failure in my case had all the symptoms of a bearing failure, as I did not get the opportunity to carry out a failure analysis, that is based on my experience of working with turbocharged engines for many years. I did not have any manifold cracking.
    The manifold cracking is not likey related to or the cause of the turbo failure. The manifold used is a pressed steel type and cheap and will fail due to heat cycle related fatigue it’s just a matter of time. You should notice a lack of power with a cracked exhaust manifold, as well as some noise under acceleration, as you are losing exhaust pressure due to the leakage and it is exhaust gas flow that drives the turbo. It may be difficult to notice due to the transmission either downshifting of holding a lower gear to compensate.
    Whatever failure you experience it is still a crock and is the result of some cost exercise that we ultimately end up paying for

I fell like I may be headed toward a turbo failure since I hear what seems to be bearing noise from the turbo.

I would like to put the cast iron manifold on when my manifold breaks, but it is sourced from some unknown source in China and I just don't trust it to be a quality made product or well designed for flow.

Member #
    first thing you notice with the bearings going it sounds like someone humming to the tune on the radio but not very good at it. Very faint in the background and more noticeable as you accelerate, next will be the transmission downshift frequently and your fuel mileage decreasing.
    find you nearest Borg Warner dealer and see what they have to offer. If you can have the car of the road for a couple of days they can rebuild the unit for far less than the robbers at Land Rover will charge.

Member #
    first thing you notice with the bearings going it sounds like someone humming to the tune on the radio but not very good at it. Very faint in the background and more noticeable as you accelerate, next will be the transmission downshift frequently and your fuel mileage decreasing.
    find you nearest Borg Warner dealer and see what they have to offer. If you can have the car of the road for a couple of days they can rebuild the unit for far less than the robbers at Land Rover will charge.
    Mine sounds a bit like a dentist drill but very faint. I mainly hear it about 2000 RPM. Above that the road noise and other engine noise drowns it out.

How much do you think a rebuild would be? A new LR manifold/turbo is about $2100 to $2500 I think. A Ford Escape manifold/turbo is just about $500-$700 I think. Of course the manifold won't work on the Evoque, but I am pretty sure the turbo is the same. All of the dealers/distributors in my state are diesel shops, but I assume they would rebuild any turbo.

Member #
    A turbo is a turbo. Providing they can identify the unit it should not present any problem. Cost depends on the parts needed if it is just bearings and seals that would not be expensive. The unit from a Escape could have a different compressor wheel and turbine from the unit used in a LR the end housings could also be different. Different torque profiles are managed by these latter items.
    A rebuild is inverably cheaper than new. They can usually give you a price for a rebearing and reseal upfront before starting the job.
    lemmy999 likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by vx_evoque View Post
    I own a 2013 pure plus with 47k miles on it... When I start the car and switch on the heater I can smell gas/exhaust for about a minute before it goes away. Could my issue be the same as stated here ?
    Quick update: I ended up selling the damn thing.. I also had a burnt out left indicator. When dealership tried to replace, they claimed the bulb was good but one of the pins of the connector which connects the adapter to the headlight housing was loose and not making a good connection. To address it they'll have to replace the entire left headlight housing for about $1200 parts + labor.... If I had a miniature solder gun I could have done it in 5 minutes !!...

With the exhaust fumes still coming in everytime i operate the heater and having lost some horsepower, I decided to just sell the damn car and save myself trouble in the future...

I ended up trading it in for a fully loaded Nissan Murano AWD with twice the number of tech features and 7 years service and maintenance ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ads