ANGRY - Crack in Exhaust/Turbo Manifold!!!

This is a discussion on ANGRY - Crack in Exhaust/Turbo Manifold!!! within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I am just so beyond frustrated with this vehicle. Every time we turn around something else goes wrong.. or doesn't work. Here's the latest.. 2013 ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ANGRY - Crack in Exhaust/Turbo Manifold!!!

Member #

I am just so beyond frustrated with this vehicle. Every time we turn around something else goes wrong.. or doesn't work.

Here's the latest.. 2013 Pure plus.

We noticed every time we'd start the engine and let it warm up a little.. (it's winter in WI) we'd notice the cabin reeked of exhaust smell. Ive taken it in several times and now most recently we've been told they found a large crack on the manifold. As in the Evoque.. the manifold is attached to the turbo.. they are one in the same part.. I need to replace the entire thing!! $3300 repair!!! This Evoque has only 44,000 miles on it. This is insane. I've reached out to JLR Corporate only to be told they won't cover it or even assist as it's out of warranty.. So here we are in the dead of winter having to drive with the windows down taking kids to and from school.. so frustrated.. scared to put another $3k into this thing as something else will likely fail immediately after 🙁

Not sure what to do... Any suggestions.. apparently the labor alone is like 6-9 hours... By the book.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I have been worried about the sound of my turbo on my 2015 and while researching the turbo I came across this video:

Apparently on the 2012-2013 turbos (and probably other years) these cracks were very common. There is a different part number for the 2014 and later turbo so I am not sure if this is something they addressed or if the change is for some other reason. Anyway, it is a common enough problem that this vendor makes a cast exhaust manifold that they attach to your turbo. It would be heavier but it would likely be good for the life of the vehicle. The only issue is that it likely isn't trivial to remove the turbo. I know you have to remove the front subframe under the engine. Not an enormous job, but will take more than a couple of hours.

I figured since this was a Ford engine that I could save money and buy a Ford turbo (maybe from an Escape). For my 2015 I found the LR Turbo is about $2500 (can get it discounted online for about $2150). The Ford Escape turbo is about $700 ($500 discounted online). The turbos are identical (Borg Warner K03) but the exhaust manifold part is different. For the LR exhaust part (the part cracked on yours) includes the entire manifold. But on the ford the manifold is a separate piece and the exhaust portion of the turbo that connects to the manifold is much smaller.

I have heard someone on here say they were quoted $4000 on a turbo replacement. 9 hours at $140 per hour (LR ridiculous labor rates) is over $1200.

If it were mine (and my 2015 may have the same cracking problem as the 2012-2013 models do) I would contact that company that makes the aftermarket cast exhaust manifold. In the video they claim to attach the manifold to your existing turbo, but on their website they just sell the entire unit with turbo and the manifold for $950. Then I would install it myself, or get a good mechanic (not the LR dealer) to install it. So even if you buy the entire unit form this company at $950 and then pay a good non LR mechanic 6-9 hours of labor to replace it then you are likely under half of the cost and would not have problems from the manifold again. They also provide install instructions. Also the service manual has instructions on how to do it (PM me if you need this). I have no connections to this company and have never dealt with them or even talked to them. I was just researching the turbo the other day in case mine goes out (see another thread I started about it) and I came across this video.

https://www.turbopartscanada.ca/

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Last edited by lemmy999; 01-17-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Member #
    I just called that company and talked to them about these turbos. He said that all years have the cracking issue and 90km is a pretty long life for them. The $950 turbo they sell is a re-manufactured turbo unit on their new cast manifold. If you are ok with your car being down a few days, you can take yours off, remove the manifold part from the turbo unit and send it in and they will attach their new cast manifold for I think he said $450 or $475.
    Last edited by lemmy999; 01-17-2019 at 09:50 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    I thought I saw in another thread where you had an extended warranty. Are they not covering stuff like this for you?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by lemmy999 View Post
    I thought I saw in another thread where you had an extended warranty. Are they not covering stuff like this for you?

The warranty company said no go as it's having to do with the exhaust.. awful. The upshot is.. the guy that sold me the warranty (3rd party) is paying me 1500 to reimburse all the money I've paid in for the warranty. I'm using that towards the repair.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscoRover View Post
    The warranty company said no go as it's having to do with the exhaust.. awful. The upshot is.. the guy that sold me the warranty (3rd party) is paying me 1500 to reimburse all the money I've paid in for the warranty. I'm using that towards the repair.
    That stinks. I had been thinking of using the same warranty you had, but I guess not now. So are you going to go to LR and get a LR replacement? From what I have read it seems like this cracking is really common. Since I have 50k miles on mine I expect it to happen in the near future so I have been reading in the service manual so I'm ready to replace it when it happens.

Member #
    I wish I had found this company ( TPC ) when I had to replace my turbo. It cost me Canadian $5200 the turbo unit was Canadian $3064 alone.
    I knew there where people out there rebuilding turbos but did not find anyone on the internet who did the Evoque let alone someone a couple of hours up the road. I know for the next time.
    If you have a hoist it is an easy job to replace the unit if you have a good tool kit. Even after spending all that money I still had to get under the car and had to refit the firewall insulation as the dealer had used putty to hold it in place instead of the proper button clips. why he had even touched I will never know but touch it he did and left it resting against the exhaust. They also change the oil but left it 2 pints short.
    The service managers response was "oh" and could not get of the phone quick enough.

Member #
    It's an issue apparently. My mechanic (who does RR/Jag) says he sees the cracked manifolds often after 60-70K miles, and yeah, it's all one unit with the turbo. I'm sure JLF knows it's a prob.

Member #
    UPDATE:

Well I ended up buying the part online.. a Borg Warner Tuebo exhaust manifold. Found a mechanic in town that has done this repair before. I dropped off Rover in the morning, and picked her up fixed in the late afternoon. All said, cost about $2300.00.

That said, the unit is actually two pieces. The turbo is clamped on to the manifold.. so one could potentially buy turbo / and or exhaust manifold part separate. I have my previous Turbo that is in perfect condition clamped/ attached to the exhaust manifold as it came on the Suv in my basement. The turbo is in excellent condition, and the manifold has 2 tiny cracks on it right at the seam. In hindsight I should have just simply had a welder make a tiny simple weld or repair with JD weld paste. Would have done the trick. If anyone else has this issue, I'll sell mine to you.. make the simple repair and away you go. Save you a ton of money and headaches...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonomadoug View Post
    It's an issue apparently. My mechanic (who does RR/Jag) says he sees the cracked manifolds often after 60-70K miles, and yeah, it's all one unit with the turbo. I'm sure JLF knows it's a prob.

The manifold and turbo are actually 2 separate pieces, however LR sells them as one piece. In other words I don't think you can get just a manifold from LR.

Also, I did a little more research and found that the cast manifold the place in Canada sells looks to be identical to one you can get on ebay for just under $300 shipped. While it is cast and probably wouldn't crack, it appears to be from China and who knows how well the manifold is designed..not only from a reliability point of view, but from a performance perspective as well. Still, it is difficult to spend the money on the LR one when you know it will crack again.
    Last edited by lemmy999; 01-28-2019 at 07:07 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads