Mini Road Trip

Mini Road Trip

This is a discussion on Mini Road Trip within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I took my first mini road trip this weekend in the car and it was the first time I spent more than an hour in ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mini Road Trip

Member #

Mini Road Trip

I took my first mini road trip this weekend in the car and it was the first time I spent more than an hour in the car and just wanted to write up a quick review.

Total miles: 430
    Average speed 62
    Average MPG 25.5
    3.5 hours each way roughly, drove out Saturday returned on Monday

Overall I was very happy with the drive the car gave. I was coming up the Parkway through NJ which can be a very busy road and then out route 80 through the Delware water gap out into wide open PA (I was returning to my alma mater for a golf tournament). The great thing about this drive is you have a ton of different road conditions in a relatively short drive. I drove through stop and go traffic, construction, torrential rain, flat roads, big inclines and declines (big for the east coast anyway) and of course some country back roads. I drive generally between 75-80 and don't use cruise control which I know hurts MPG but I wanted to drive the car as I normally would and see the MPG. I did not even look at it until I got home so I did not try and game it at all.

Comfort wise, I was also very happy. I am not a small person, 6ft4 270 and the seats were very comfortable the whole time. I used to get knee pains when I did that drive in my old cars, but not in the Evoque which was pleasant. Stereo system was great with my ipod jacked right into the car so I was not at the mercy of the local radio stations. I had a really good time driving the car and am very happy with the car overall. I have about 5k miles on it since I bought it.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    You are certainly bigger than me, so to hear you say the seats were comfortable means something. When I was thinking about getting my Evoque I did a lot of research and one of the negatives raised by Consumer Reports was Americans would not like the "aggressive bolstering" of the seats. They also said there was little leg room up front. I have to question both assertions. I took a 2600 mile jaunt from CT to AZ earlier this month, and even with two 1000 mile days I have to say the Evoque was easily the most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven cross country. Of course my most recent comparison was in 2003 in a brand new Mini Cooper S loaded to the gills with wine. Average speed was around 70mph both trips, but the Mini got 31mpg vs 26.7 for the Evoque. It's a trade off my dog and I gladly make.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mnat View Post
    I took my first mini road trip this weekend in the car and it was the first time I spent more than an hour in the car and just wanted to write up a quick review.

Total miles: 430
    Average speed 62
    Average MPG 25.5
    3.5 hours each way roughly, drove out Saturday returned on Monday

Overall I was very happy with the drive the car gave. I was coming up the Parkway through NJ which can be a very busy road and then out route 80 through the Delware water gap out into wide open PA (I was returning to my alma mater for a golf tournament). The great thing about this drive is you have a ton of different road conditions in a relatively short drive. I drove through stop and go traffic, construction, torrential rain, flat roads, big inclines and declines (big for the east coast anyway) and of course some country back roads. I drive generally between 75-80 and don't use cruise control which I know hurts MPG but I wanted to drive the car as I normally would and see the MPG. I did not even look at it until I got home so I did not try and game it at all.

Comfort wise, I was also very happy. I am not a small person, 6ft4 270 and the seats were very comfortable the whole time. I used to get knee pains when I did that drive in my old cars, but not in the Evoque which was pleasant. Stereo system was great with my ipod jacked right into the car so I was not at the mercy of the local radio stations. I had a really good time driving the car and am very happy with the car overall. I have about 5k miles on it since I bought it.
    Question for you on the seat. I am also a big person (6' 10") and have been concerned about the driver seat bolstering. I'd guess you have been through the same thing. When I sit on the seat, I can feel the bolsters like I am sitting on them. I've never been able to drive an Evoque for a longer trip, but what has stopped me from purchasing one is the drivers seat and my concern with those bolsters.

Do they flatten over time or become more comfortable?

Sorry for the butt talk everyone! The Evoque seats are just a bit odd compared to other cars I've driven/owned.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Honestly they have never bothered me at all. I did not even really notice them until people were talking about it on this forum. Every person is going to have their own opinion, I remember a guy on here who sold his evoque within weeks because it gave him horrible back pain. It is unfortunate that it is an issue at all because I love this car and to think that bolsters on the seats would cause people not to buy it just sucks. Comfort is something that needs to be there for a car that is a daily driver.

Member #
    I have no problem at all with the seats. But I'm 5'6 130 lbs LOL
    How to reset Warnings on your Evoque (Video)
    12 Evoque Dynamic 5D Fuji White/Onyx
    05 G35
    08 ISF
    09 GTR

Member #
    I took a ride this weekend through the Delaware Water Gap this weekend too. I was going from Princeton NJ to Albany the long way. I got about the same gas milage on the trip. Hey, were you driving a Black Evoque Pure? I was behind one for a length of time until I pulled off into a car wash. I was driving a Dk Gray Orkney Gray Dynamic.

See you on the open road.
    Eric

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by infinus View Post
    I have no problem at all with the seats. But I'm 5'6 130 lbs LOL
    I am 6'8" and 285 and found the seats comfortable when I drove it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnikk View Post
    I took a ride this weekend through the Delaware Water Gap this weekend too. I was going from Princeton NJ to Albany the long way. I got about the same gas milage on the trip. Hey, were you driving a Black Evoque Pure? I was behind one for a length of time until I pulled off into a car wash. I was driving a Dk Gray Orkney Gray Dynamic.

See you on the open road.
    Eric
    If you saw a coup, it was probably me.

Have to decide if I am taking it up to Cape Cod this weekend or if we are taking the wifes car. If I do it in the evoque (most likely) I will put up an additional trip review.

Member #
    If you are going to take a road to drive on on the cape, take 6A. Its smooth, less traffic, and a lot more cape-ish. 28 is more las vegas, and very busy. Enjoy your drive, and I might be in Osterville so I will look for you.

Member #
    I took the evoque up to cape cod last weekend which was a 6 hour drive each way so I got an even longer road trip in. All in all very impressed with the drive, the wife agreed it was the most comfortable car we have owned (for reference we have owned small cars in the past audi a4 convertible, mercedes clk320). Gas milegae was about the same for the previous trip, the drive was pretty smooth expect for about a half hour of traffic both ways on the Tapen Zee bridge.

GPS: This was the first time I have really relied on the GPS, I have used it a little bit driving around Jersey here but never on a long trip and to a destination that I have never been to before. Overall I give it about a C grade. I had read the reviews on here were it was pretty much universally panned but I had not had horrible experience with it. The good: When it knows your destination, it will take you right there and I had no problem with it. Which brings me to the Bad: When it does not know your destination you are in trouble. Luckily with smart phones we were able to find our destination, but the GPS did not really help. Two destinations in a row, the GPS did not have the street name or the number loaded on it which made it very tough to get where we needed to go. This is why I give it the mixed grade, an A if it has your address and a F if it does not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads