Extended Warranty

Extended Warranty

This is a discussion on Extended Warranty within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I am looking at purchasing a 2016 Evoque Coupe with 34K miles on it. It will have an extended warranty until 8/21. The dealer is ...

Member #

Extended Warranty

I am looking at purchasing a 2016 Evoque Coupe with 34K miles on it. It will have an extended warranty until 8/21. The dealer is offering for $1275 to extend it until 8/22 or $2400 until 8/23 with a max of 100,000 miles. Have any of you purchased these warranties and have they worked out for you? Also are there any dealers that you may know of that sell these extended warranties for less? With my C300 I found a dealer in Dallas who sold me an extended for less than the dealer I purchased the car from.

As for the reliability question, have done a search and see that like anything in life it is luck of the draw. Has any of you had worse luck with a 16? And does 34K seem okay for a 16? I plan to do the usual maintenance items myself, oil, brakes, filter. It will be a daily driver about 50 miles a day.

thanks, and any advice will be welcomed.

Nelson

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson G View Post
    I am looking at purchasing a 2016 Evoque Coupe with 34K miles on it. It will have an extended warranty until 8/21. The dealer is offering for $1275 to extend it until 8/22 or $2400 until 8/23 with a max of 100,000 miles. Have any of you purchased these warranties and have they worked out for you? Also are there any dealers that you may know of that sell these extended warranties for less? With my C300 I found a dealer in Dallas who sold me an extended for less than the dealer I purchased the car from.

As for the reliability question, have done a search and see that like anything in life it is luck of the draw. Has any of you had worse luck with a 16? And does 34K seem okay for a 16? I plan to do the usual maintenance items myself, oil, brakes, filter. It will be a daily driver about 50 miles a day.

Nelson
    Land Rover is regularly rated as one of the least reliable vehicles (only Fiat is always worse) so this is the only vehicle I have ever owned where I had a real interest in purchasing an extended warranty. However it seems that warranties that are clearly good are outrageous (I have had quotes up to $7500 for extending it to 100k miles and the dealer I purchased it from wanted $4k) and most of the affordable ones seem like a gamble. I was also under the impression that most extended warranties required all regular LR scheduled services (oil, brakes, etc) to be performed by a licensed mechanic. I (like you) do my own brake, oil, filters and figured an affordable extended warranty would just use that to try to wiggle out of paying for anything that went wrong.

While I do believe these aren't that reliable relative to other manufacturers, almost all cars are much more reliable than years past. I have a 2015 with about 51k miles and so far the only real issue I have had is with the sunglass holder. One of the cameras failed due to what appeared to be a rock hitting it and they wouldn't replace that. They wanted something like $650 to replace it. I found the exact brand new camera on ebay from the UK for about $60 shipped and installed it myself in about 45 minutes. Also I think most of them will have the exhaust manifold crack before you hit 90k miles. Unfortunately the turbo is attached to the exhaust manifold and they won't just sell you the manifold. So it is about $3k-$4k to replace it. So if you can get a GOOD warranty for under $4k that takes you to 100k miles it has a fairly good chance of paying for itself, imo. But make sure the warranty will cover things like that. Someone on here had a ~$2,000 extended warranty and they wouldn't pay because it was part of the exhaust system and that wasn't included.

In 2017 I got a 2015 Dynamic (the list on it was between $55k and $60k new) with $38k miles on it for $39.5k and I thought it was a fair deal. I think these can range from just over 40k to over 60k new depending on the options and packages. So I guess it depends on that.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson G View Post

Nelson
    Hi Nelson,

Check out who is really giving you that offer. I had offers like this before and they seemed like they were coming from our dealer. But when I dug deeper although they found me through our dealer, I learned that they were coming from a third party with a nasty reputation.

Cem

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    We have a 14 evoque which we really loved. Beautiful car. But...

Just after warranty expired the engine needed to be replaced due to a know cam gear and timing chain stretch issue. Car seized while driving on the expressway and everything locked up.

Despite all my service being done by the local dealer and a clean maintenance just weeks before the issue, LR left me holding the bag as I was just outside my warranty. No assistance whatsoever. Ended up buying a used engine and getting it installed elsewhere for a total of $15K. LR wanted over $15K just for the motor.

They don’t believe in their product, so I urge everyone to give your business to someone that will do right by you considering the investment you are making in their name.

Avoid LR

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by arowlett View Post

Just after warranty expired the engine needed to be replaced due to a know cam gear and timing chain stretch issue. Car seized while driving on the expressway and everything locked up.

Despite all my service being done by the local dealer and a clean maintenance just weeks before the issue, LR left me holding the bag as I was just outside my warranty. No assistance whatsoever. Ended up buying a used engine and getting it installed elsewhere for a total of $15K. LR wanted over $15K just for the motor.

They don’t believe in their product, so I urge everyone to give your business to someone that will do right by you considering the investment you are making in their name.

Avoid LR
    Wow. That really sucks. I didn't know these engines had a cam gear timing chain issue. Where did you find the used engine?

So what process did you go through trying to get them to cover it? I have called LR with regards to my failed turbo just outside of warranty and they have started a case # and want me to take it in to have it looked at. I have little hope that they will do anything but I have to take the chance.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by lemmy999 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arowlett View Post

Avoid LR
    Wow. That really sucks. I didn't know these engines had a cam gear timing chain issue. Where did you find the used engine?

So what process did you go through trying to get them to cover it? I have called LR with regards to my failed turbo just outside of warranty and they have started a case # and want me to take it in to have it looked at. I have little hope that they will do anything but I have to take the chance.

Local mechanic who was willing to take on the job is part of a network that has access to many niche parts such as engines.

I too went through LR USA. Created a case online, fortunately the car was already at my Local LR dealer. They called to confirm the diagnosis with the
    And got back to me about a week later. In the interim, I had to provide all service records for
    My claim to even be considered. That was a task since apparently LR dealers don’t share a common network and most my oil changes were third party.

Ads