P2178 & P2187 Error Codes

This is a discussion on P2178 & P2187 Error Codes within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Hi, new to this forum but have been on other forums so not completely ignorant. Close though. I figured my issue may be common so ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lemmy999
  • 1 Post By lemmy999

Thread: P2178 & P2187 Error Codes

Member #

Hi, new to this forum but have been on other forums so not completely ignorant. Close though. I figured my issue may be common so I did search threads before posting this.

I recently purchased a 2012 Evoque with 70k miles. It started throwing inconsistent error codes P2178 (bank 1 too rich) and P2187 (bank 1 to lean). The car does hesitate at low RPM but fine at higher speeds. Could that be an O2 sensor? Other ideas?

If yes, a good place to purchase? (I have bought a ton on rockauto but open if you know of a better place for Exoque parts). Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Guess my issue was competely uncommon 116 views but no suggestions. Looks like it was not an 02 sensor. Now looking like an exaust manifold problem. Also learned that my fairly new BOSCH OBD1150 code reader is not 100% effective with all Range Rover cars. Anyone have success with any other code readers?

Member #
    I have a Launch X431 and it has worked fairly well. I had a turbo failure and it read the low boost code and I was able to view a couple of live parameters that helped verify it.

The exhaust manifold is part of the turbo on these. I am convinced that almost every Evoque will have a manifold failure somewhere between 35k and 90k. I'm taking a risk and installing a rebuilt turbo with an aftermarket cast iron manifold in hopes that it won't break again.
    MrBig likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Turns out the vacuum advance line was ruptured. The breach caused an interrupted flow of air into the CAT. Hope that is the only issue, have ordered hose and after I replace will run another smoke test to see if the flow is uninterrupted.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by lemmy999 View Post
    I have a Launch X431 and it has worked fairly well. I had a turbo failure and it read the low boost code and I was able to view a couple of live parameters that helped verify it.

The exhaust manifold is part of the turbo on these. I am convinced that almost every Evoque will have a manifold failure somewhere between 35k and 90k. I'm taking a risk and installing a rebuilt turbo with an aftermarket cast iron manifold in hopes that it won't break again.
    Which model of X431 do you have? 123 or 129 or 229?

Member #
    Replacing the hose was the trick. And based on where the hose was breeched (very near the oil filter) there's a high probability that the outfit that did the last oil change may have caused the rip. Something worth mentioning if you take your Evoque anywhere for an oil change. I change my own oil but this must have happened before I bought the car....right? Very probably because they could not get the filter off easily so they used a tool for leverage and when it finally gave, the tool hit the hose? All I know is that I change my oil from now on.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by maxed_out View Post
    Which model of X431 do you have? 123 or 129 or 229?

It is the X431 Pro Mini.
    maxed_out likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBig View Post
    Replacing the hose was the trick. And based on where the hose was breeched (very near the oil filter) there's a high probability that the outfit that did the last oil change may have caused the rip. Something worth mentioning if you take your Evoque anywhere for an oil change. I change my own oil but this must have happened before I bought the car....right? Very probably because they could not get the filter off easily so they used a tool for leverage and when it finally gave, the tool hit the hose? All I know is that I change my oil from now on.

How big of a hose is it ? I know there is the big rubber hose that is going to the charge air cooler and there is also a connector of some sort in that area that I have to unclip to keep oil off of it. But I haven't noticed any other hose. If it wasn't for that big hose, oil changes on these would be very easy.

I pretty much do all of my own work for this very reason. Almost everyone I ever pay to work on my car or my house will screw up more than they fix and they rarely do a satisfactory job.

Ads