Can I store an 2018 Evoque for 4 months?

This is a discussion on Can I store an 2018 Evoque for 4 months? within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Hi, Im new to RR Evoques and am contemplating purchasing a second hand one for my holiday home. There are often long breaks whereby I ...

Member #

Hi, Im new to RR Evoques and am contemplating purchasing a second hand one for my holiday home. There are often long breaks whereby I dont get to visit the house, sometimes these are around 4 months. This would be a holiday car that Id like to use immediately on arrival and dont want any hassles getting it running on arrival.
    Is there a way the battery can stay charged for this long? Can I disconnect/reconnect easily? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Welcome to the forum!

If you do nothing your battery will be dead long before 4 months. The best thing to do is purchase of "float charger", commonly called a battery maintainer, NOT a trickle charger.

It appears you are not in the US so I can't recommend a manufacturer. Most battery maintainers come with a two part cable. One part is permanently attached to the battery, it has a quick connect fitting on the other end, that can be easily connected/disconnected to the charger. Will improve battery life over just disconnecting the battery.

Of course, this assumes the Evoque will be parked indoors, with access to an AC power source

Member #
    I was having concerns with even a float charger overcharging my motorcycle battery. It was a lithium battery (LiFePO4) and although I had a lithium specific charger, the manufacturer of the battery was concerned with me leaving it on indefinitely. He recommended just hooking it up for a few hours once per week. But of course there was no way I was going to remember that. So I purchased a 15 amp programmable lamp timer and plugged the charger in to that. Once each week it will turn on for about an hour and then shut off. For the first time since I have owned that motorcycle (2007), I have had no battery issues for more than a year.

Of course you could always disconnect the ground terminal as you suggested. A battery will still self discharge, but likely with no draw it would still be charged enough to start the vehicle assuming the terminals were clean and this isn't outdoors in Canada in the winter

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Many thanks for this advice guys-perhaps I can purchase a 'float charger' online. Also like the idea of a lamp timer, will look into this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I don't have any experience with a lithium battery, but I don't see the need for a timer for use when using a float charger on a regular wet cell, or AGM car battery. I have a garage queen BWM that sites under a cover with a float charger for 8 months over the winter, and have never had any issues. Battery has lasted 8 years so far, and still going strong. Our Evoque doesn't go out in the snow and salt in the winter, and is connected to a float charger to keep the battery up, never had any issues with the Evoque battery either.

Member #
    SLA batteries are definitely more robust for sure. But I had a battery tender device and a SLA battery on my motorcycle and it was "floating" a bit high and shortened the lift of it. That isn't typical or usual, but not an impossibility.

Ads