Window Issues - Shattered?

Window Issues - Shattered?

This is a discussion on Window Issues - Shattered? within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; While we are generally very happy with our Evoque, we have found little "issues" that pop up. Many are the same that you find posted ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Question Window Issues - Shattered?

While we are generally very happy with our Evoque, we have found little "issues" that pop up. Many are the same that you find posted on here (blind spot, inability to use Garmin, EZPass, etc) but I haven't seen this one unless it's posted under something else.
    I went out to the car this morning to find the driver's side window shattered. Not broken or vandalized (all contents of the car were there) and no glass INSIDE the car. It looked as though the window broke from the inside and, for lack of a better term, had a "belly" to the outside. A neighbor of mine thought it could have been the heat. I live in Philadelphia, not Palm Springs so I don't think our 80F was busting any windows and if it was, why not the others?
    Of course the dealership said they had never heard of this, just like they had never heard of the heated windshield not allowing transmission of GPS or the engine steaming when it rains. Roadside assistance towed my car and I'm scheduled for a replacement NEXT Thursday.
    Name:  Initial photo.JPG
Views: 2550
Size:  46.7 KBName:  Window belly out.JPG
Views: 964
Size:  49.9 KBName:  Inside (no glass).JPG
Views: 977
Size:  36.5 KBName:  Inside out.JPG
Views: 2233
Size:  58.3 KBName:  Pressure point.JPG
Views: 2687
Size:  62.3 KB

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    That's crazy. I am in Philly too. I have not experienced any heat issues. Will be watching though. Good luck with the repair

Member #
    Sorry for your misfortune. Did you have the sunroof shade open? Hate to say this but I think you were actually vandalized. The window bowing outward is not 100% indicative that it popped from the inside. Pulling whatever might have been used out of the window coud do it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    It could be defective safety glass, or if you have a dark interior and the shade on the roof open. My 06 GMC truck had the front glass crack when parked due to interior heat.

2012 Dynamic 5 door, Fuji White and Santorini black top, Lunar interior Style 6 sparkle rims, Climate comfort, adaptive dynamic, Sat and HD radio
    2012 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLTRXSE Harley Davidson Roadglide White Gold Pearl and Starfire Black
    2013 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLHRSE5 Harley Davidson Road King an ultra-premium Diamond Dust, Obsidian and Palladium paint scheme, 110th Anniversary Edition.

Member #
    I've left mine in 115 degree temps all day with the roof shade open and it hasn't happened so it must be some kind of defect.
    How to reset Warnings on your Evoque (Video)
    12 Evoque Dynamic 5D Fuji White/Onyx
    05 G35
    08 ISF
    09 GTR

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by infinus View Post
    I've left mine in 115 degree temps all day with the roof shade open and it hasn't happened so it must be some kind of defect.
    I hope I never see a temperature that hot in the US ever.

2012 Dynamic 5 door, Fuji White and Santorini black top, Lunar interior Style 6 sparkle rims, Climate comfort, adaptive dynamic, Sat and HD radio
    2012 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLTRXSE Harley Davidson Roadglide White Gold Pearl and Starfire Black
    2013 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLHRSE5 Harley Davidson Road King an ultra-premium Diamond Dust, Obsidian and Palladium paint scheme, 110th Anniversary Edition.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by FLSTFIDave View Post
    I hope I never see a temperature that hot in the US ever.
    It was here in AZ a week or so ago, I've seen 120's before too.
    How to reset Warnings on your Evoque (Video)
    12 Evoque Dynamic 5D Fuji White/Onyx
    05 G35
    08 ISF
    09 GTR

Member #
    I've seen this before in tempered or toughened glass. In a very small percentage of glass manufactured ( 1 in 100,000) a small defect can occur - they call it glass "cancer". Now in most situatiuons nothing will happen over the life of the glass but in others it will spontaneously and quite spectacularly "explode" - no heat or temperature issue just a defect in the glass. The radiation of the glass shattering is characteristic - it starts from the defect and spreads out. Just unlucky. Photo 5 shows it best.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sammk View Post
    . The radiation of the glass shattering is characteristic - it starts from the defect and spreads out. Just unlucky. Photo 5 shows it best.
    Thanks, that does show what you are talking about well.

Member #
    I was sitting in my car tonite in the parking lot at work, 2:00a.m., no wind, temp mid 70's, low humidity, absolutely no traffic in parking lot, car sitting by itself with no other cars around...rolled up window to get out of car and window spontaneously shattered when it got to the top of the frame. I actually thought somone was attacking my car from behind and after I stopped screaming (lol), I realized there was no one there. No rocks have hit my window recently and it had no cracks of any kind, that I ever noticed. Just wanted to concur that it can just happen spontaneously, for no reason. If I had not been in the car when it happened, I would have just assumed it was vandalism or a BBgun as I am out in redneck and roadkill country of Florida. My 2008 car is black and sits out in the sun and elements day in and day out, windows are tinted and use sunshield.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads