Anyone install the Illuminated Tread Plates??

This is a discussion on Anyone install the Illuminated Tread Plates?? within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Curious how much they are, if you were able to install yourself, and what you think?...

Member #

Curious how much they are, if you were able to install yourself, and what you think?

2. # ADS
    Ads

who
    Member #

Installation of Illuminated Tread Plates

I have seen them on ebay for about $300-$550. Not sure if they are for coupes or 4-doors. I just got mine for the coupe and and I got even below $300. Should check ebay out pretty quick, the one auction I got it from last Friday still has one left. Its from a dealer in San Diego CA and I got mine today and just installed it. Took me like 15mins once I figured out where the connector was for the treadplate. Instructions provided are simple since it is quite simple. I did not try to take off the side foot panel even though the instructions says too, I did not want to figure out how to take off the hood release handle. I just used a flathead screwdriver and a long needlenose plier to grab the connector below the carpet and a plastic shroud or channel (shown in the 2nd picture). Once you have the connector, a slight tug on the cable will provide you with the remaining length of the cable and its just enough to reach the connector on the plate. The connector plugs right in and a little securing tab further down the wire is fastened to the plate underside(shown in the 3rd picture) snap the plate back on and your done (4th picture). I believe someone on this forum sells factory parts at a lower price for the forum members. End result looks nice, not as bright as I thought it would be. But still nice, kinda glad I did not pay full price for it though.

Sorry, some of the pics are blurry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121217_171914.jpg 
Views:	2886 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	621

Name:	20121217_171924.jpg 
Views:	2660 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	622

Name:	20121217_172159.jpg 
Views:	3127 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	623

Name:	20121217_172327.jpg 
Views:	3062 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	624

Member #
    Thanks for the pictures. I haven't gotten my Evoque yet, should pick it up Friday. I have already ordered the illuminated tread plates. It sounds simple. Does everything snap back into place or do you have screw things back in? Is it possible to get any more pictures directly to my email? Have you installed the bumper sill plates in the trunk? thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

who
    Member #
    The new tread plates snap back in just like the original ones snaps off. Mine already has the aluminum tread plates in the trunk. Sorry, did not take anymore pictures since it seemed very simple when I did it.

The hardest part is looking for the connector that is taped to the wire bundel under the plastic channel cover. The picture of the hole in the plastic cover is the relative location where I found the connector after a bit of looking.

Member #
    I just installed the illuminated tread plates over the weekend. They work fine and look great now, but I did have trouble with the driver's side. The connector was taped to the bundle of wires as reported, but once freed the connector was not long enough to mount to the other end on the tread plate. I had to free the connector on the tread plate and move it closer to the wired connector. In the end, I stuffed the entire connection below the plastic and probably created a better protection for the whole connection. But it works!

who
    Member #
    That's right, the excess wire on the driver side was relooped and zip tied to the wire loom. I was able to give it a good tug and the excess wire came out and I was then only able to connect the wire to the treadplate.

Ads