Evoque for a young family car?

This is a discussion on Evoque for a young family car? within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Hey everyone, I'm a long time forum lurker but this is my first posting. I am in the market for a new SUV and am ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Hey everyone, I'm a long time forum lurker but this is my first posting. I am in the market for a new SUV and am currently considering the Evoque 4door as well as the Toyota 4Runner Trail edition. Starting prices for the two vechicles are comparable and both have the sporty look I desire. I have not yet driven an Evoque (I live about 2 hours away from the nearest LR dealership) so I haven't seen one up close in person. My question is, do you think that the Evoque would be a good vechicle for a young family? I am mostly concerned about having sufficient cargo space for trips, as well as (hopefully) little ones. Those of you out there that have kids, please let me know if you think the leather seats of the Evoque would be a better fit than the "water resistant" cloth seats of the 4runner. Also, being that I live a few hours away from a Land Rover dealership, do you think that the Evoque reliability would match that of a Toyota? Trying to consider all factors in this decisioning, but am mostly concerned about reliability, safety, cargo/backseat space, and resale value. Any advice/input you have on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Kimber13,

You have some legitimate concerns and good questions. I have only owned my Evoque for a few weeks, 1000 miles, and it is my first new Land Rover product. I am a fan of Toyota's and have owned several different models over the years. Previa (2), Corolla, MR2 Turbo, 4 Runner, small pickup, all of which served me well and never had a emergency break down. I also maintain all of my vehicles with my own labor and OEM parts when possible. Having once owned a import repair and restoration business, I can honesty say that the imports (Toyota's) were the easiest to repair and the most economical.

I have worked on a Land Rover Freelander, once with the local dealer and the experience was not of a positive nature. It could have been the mechanic or the fact that it was an older vehicle. Everything was very expensive and the labor rate was sky-high.

The purchase of my Evoque was what I consider more of a gamble then I would normally take but, this forum was a major influence in my decision after having read many of the posts regarding the different experiences by various owners. I have been very happy with the performance, function of different features, reliability, drive-ability, fuel mileage, roominess, build quality and the out-of-state dealer was excellent.

I am curious about your statement regarding the price of both being "comparable". You must be looking at a very "loaded" 4Runner. My Evoque is a very basic Pure with the "Climate Package" as the only option. These vehicles are considered a "ala-cart" type of purchase and as one adds on the options the price climbs rather quickly. Starting at $41k and easily reaching $60K with lots of goodies.

For your young family, it will be plenty of room until your children are out of their car seats. Storage in the cargo area is smaller than most SUV's as a golf bag only fits length wise with one back seat folded down. The interior materials appear to be durable, time will only tell. There are many safety features. Being several hours from a local dealer is a "deal breaker" in my opinion as warranty work will mean a 4 hour trip plus the wait: basically the entire day. Resale value on the Evoque should be excellent as this a very "hot" vehicle, this year. After a few years if the Evoque acquires a bad maintenance history plagued with problems, then they will be difficult to "give away". Toyota's have a great history of "good" resale value.

We all purchase vehicles for different and personal reasons. I find that it is always best to listen to your inner voice. If you can see yourself driving the Evoque then you should also feel good about the purchase. Shop around and I mean the country, some dealers are very motivated.

Member #
    I love my Evoque. But the things you bring up would give me pause.
    1. resale value for LR has never been great. It is getting better, but it will not be as good as Toyota in this vehicles lifetime, I think.
    2. With the rear seats folded down, cargo space is pretty good. That is how I use it, as I have no kids and use it for hauling supplies on the job. With the seats up, it is pretty tight, if not poor.
    3. The dealer distance is tough for you. I would not have gotten this car with that type of distance.
    4. Reliability is an unknown. It is important to everyone, but there has to be a leap of faith I think at this point. LR products are improving, but again, Toyota has us beat for now. I think Toyota has had it's share of issues lately too!

I really think you owe it to yourself to drive both vehicles. That's the only way to prove it to yourself.

Again, I love this vehicle, but I do not have ( or plan to have) a family, I live 15 min from the dealer, and I was willing to gamble on reliability and resale, as I plan to keep the car a while. Just be honest with yourself regarding use and your willingness to deal with possible issues with the car.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by Evocurious; 12-30-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    2012 Fuji White Evoque Prestige- Tan/Ivory/Espresso Interior, Sport Pedals and Sport Style Foot Rest, Mud Flaps, Silver Rails, OEM Ski Rack and Bike Rack , Climate Package, Style 6 wheels with Hankook tires in summer, Style 5 wheels with Blizzak tires for the frozen Minnesota tundra in winter- Set for Adventure in Style!

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Thanks for the input guys. To clarify for Dabbler, I am considering a limited or trail edition 4runner and a base model Evoque - which are all around $40k. I am hoping to keep this vehicle for the next several years but am conscientious of the fact that some day, I will want to upgrade and will need to factor in the resale. Being that I am coming from an '04 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, I am not overly concerned about torque or speed, and I am used to a bare bones when it comes to creature comforts, but am hoping for some nice touches, a more refined interior, extra seating capacity, and not to mention that anything will be more fuel efficient than what I am currently driving. The distance from the dealer is not a breaker for me, I can easily make the drive to Atlanta to have routine service performed, provided I don't have to make frequent trips due to mechanical problems or make extensive repairs. I have never owned a Land Rover but have always wanted one, I just want to be sure that this would be a vehicle that I can grow into when the time comes. Also, it's a plus for me that it doesn't look like a "mom" SUV. This would definitely be a head turner in my city.

Member #
    I have been very happy with my "base" model Pure and don't see the need for the NAV, cameras on all corners, power folding mirrors and the like although I would have enjoyed the panoramic roof. That was one feature that I wish I had. My passengers would have really enjoyed it I think. I have had many a vehicle with a sunroof but never really missed it when I didn't have one.

One feature that I have come to appreciate is the Blue Tooth connection to my cell phone. The interior noise level is so low that making cell calls has never been as simple or enjoyable. The Mederian sound system is fantastic.

There was a used 2012 in CO. with 21K miles for $43K that is nicely loaded. It was a lease turn in and from my discussions with the dealer there were no reliability issues mentioned from the first owner. BTW, this vehicle has a 240 hp 4 cyl. turbo that is very quick and fuel efficient.

I too had always wanted a Land Rover and now I have one less item in my 'bucket list". As far as looks, my Evoque is constantly getting looks and I usually find at least one person looking it over in the parking lot. That alone is one of the main reasons I purchased!

Member #
    Hi kimber, I just picked up my Evoque earlier this week. I currently have a 5 year old and a 3 year old. The Evoque rocks, but as far as practicality goes, it doesn't come close to a larger car. It isn't as bad now, but when the kids were younger, there are too many "things" that you want to take with you. My wife drives the family car which is a Ford Flex, and when it came to carting around 2 kids, a diaper bag, a bugaboo (stroller), school bags, her own work stuff, etc, etc, the Flex was perfect. We also have the ability to pick up a couple of their friends to take them to the local park at the same time. I love my Evoque, but IMO, it's not the best choice for a young family...

Member #
    Thanks for the feedback. Seeing as how I don't really know what to expect as far as what to carry around when I have kids, it makes it hard to gauge how much storage space I will need. Your posts really help. I just don't want to find myself in a position to have to sell the new vehicle in order to have a practical daily driver later on down the road.

Member #
    Kimber13,I have had my Evoque for 7 months and I love it. ...but I am retired with no children at home . I don't think it is a practical car for a young family because of the storage space. With the back seats up with two little ones, you will not have the space to carry the necessary items that were commented on earlier in this thread.

Member #
    Hi Kimber13,

I got an Evoque a couple of months ago, and have had the new 4Runner Trail for the last year and a half. We don't have young kids (yet) but with any luck, they will be coming soon. Here are my thoughts:

If I only had one car to carry the kids in, it probably wouldn't be the Evoque. I don't yet know how much stuff they will need, but the trunk space is quite small. I can see a stroller being stuffed in there, but not much else. The 4Runner, on the other hand, can carry pretty much anything you want to throw at it. It's been a great car. Durable, safe (I hit a deer head on at 70mph and was able to drive home), and comfortable for long trips. I do landscape photography and have slept in the back several times despite my tall stature. If I was going to own 1 car, and had small kids coming, it would probably be the 4Runner.

That being said... there is literally no contest between the rigs. The Evoque is night and day the more entertaining, luxurious, fun, and desirable SUV. I literally LOVE going for a drive in the thing, and even though it's still new to me, I don't suspect that will go away. Mine is fairly loaded with tech, so it's not even close to the 4Runner's price, but I absolutely marvel at the quality of the materials etc. The 4Runner isn't even in the same sport. I suspect the 4Runner will have better residuals, but I have no intent on getting rid of it. I'm going to keep it until the wheels fall off.

Long and the short of it, the 4Runner is probably better for a family car, but it's a mode of transportation and not much else. The Evoque is an experience. Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong either way, but I'd drive the 2 hours and test the Evoque. Certainly worth your time.

Member #
    Kimber13,

I appreciate your concerns with children. I am selling my Audi A5 and buying the Evoque on Friday January 4th, 2013, partly for transporting my kids. I have 3 children, 10, 7, 5 years of age. We also have a Honda Odyssey for the long road trips, but for local trips we hope to use the Evoque. I am also a avid bike rider and hope that transporting my bike will be more feasible. I realize the Evoque doesn't have the largest cargo area, but it does have 4 doors and 3 seats in the back. If you haven't made up your mind, I can update you next week. thanks,

Manish

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads