PROs and CONS on my Evoque

PROs and CONS on my Evoque

This is a discussion on PROs and CONS on my Evoque within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Hello, I have had my 2013 Evoque Pure Premium for about 2 weeks. I added a few extras including: Rubber mats, illuminated tread plates, chrome ...

Member #

Talking PROs and CONS on my Evoque

Hello,

I have had my 2013 Evoque Pure Premium for about 2 weeks. I added a few extras including: Rubber mats, illuminated tread plates, chrome pedals, mud flaps and replaced all interior lights with LED lights. I often go through new vehicles every couple of years. Over the last 10 years I have owned/leased the Audi A5 (with S-line compartment), Infiniti FX 35, VW Toureg, and BMW 5 series. The Audi A5 was my most recent car which I felt was the best of the group. Most of my comparisons are between the Audi A5 and the Evoque.

REVIEW BY SYSTEMS:

1. Engine: the 4-cylinder turbo certainly does have power to overcome most driving needs, but isn't as strong as the V6 Audi A5 or Infiniti vehicles. Engine is relatively quiet and smooth while shifting gears or accelerating. Braking system is great and stops very well. The stabilty with 4-wheel drive is great. I feel very little lateral movement on icy conditions.

2. Gas Mileage: a little disappointed so far as I expected better mileage. I am averaging 21 miles/gallon of mixed driving. I've never reached the 28 miles/gallon peak. Hopefully, that improves with more driving. Compared to my Audi with a bigger engine, the Evoque runs about 2-3 miles less per gallon.

3. Interior: Very clean and modern appearing interior with leather and lighting. Much better with LED bulbs as it enhances the modern new age apperance. The illuminated tread plates, chrome pedals and matts enhance "the look". Some of the interior parts are made of cheaper plastic (visor, glove box) which detract from an expensive interior. The interior of my other cars were equal in this respect. Land Rover just has a cleaner and more intuitive setup.

4. Entertainment System: Must get the upgrade stereo system with 17 speakers. Truly the best system in the market. Movies, Radio and music are enhanced with this system. However, understand you must have good quality music to begin with, especially with mp3's. The surround sound rivals good movie theatres. The USB ports are average, as I've seen more ports and better placement of the ports in much lesser vehicles. USB movies only work with Divx format. A 10" screen would have made the movies really stand out, but this is a car afterall.

5. 4-Door Function. This was one of the main reasons for buying this car for me. I have a young family and it was challenging to get them in and out of the Audi A5. Much easier with 4 doors. I would't recommend this car for older or large kids as the leg space is smaller than the Infiniti and Toureg, but those vehicles are larger SUVs. The rear-view mirror is small and could lead to some blind spots. The cargo space in the rear is below average. My Audi A5 had more cargo space. However, with the seats down, there is more room for hauling medium sized items.

6. Camera & Light system. Athough its cool to have all those cameras, it is functionally not very applicable. The rear camera, which is most commonly use, has very poor clarity and the image is grainy. Compared to the A5 camera, it's like comparing HD to non-HD televsion. Disappointed with Evoque. Wonder if the rear camera can be changed?? The LED front lights are great. Still like the Audi look better. However, adaptive headlights, automatic high beams and fog lights are all great. The push botton retractable roof is great, and awesome to see the sky from every seat. The exterior sound is not affected by this much glass.

7. Navigation system: Although there have been many posts complaining about the navigation system, I found the Evoque to better than any of the other vehicles. However, I still use my cell phone which seems to be better.

8. Phone system: A better system with bluetooth than the A5. This may be due to the better speaker system, but there is also a built in phonebook and it can accomadate up to 10 phones. It has several other practical features. This is a plus for this vehicle.

9. Nitrogen filled tires: Sounds like a great feature. Hopefully, I will not need to fill these up too often. Time will tell.

I think I covered most of the relevant areas of the Evoque. The "look" is great. Although at some angles it could be mistaken for the Ford explorer or edge vehicles. I would like to hear from anyone who may have answers to the rear view camera. Any way to enhance?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Very fair comparisons. I would say that my one disappointment so far is paint related, the car already has 2 paint chips on the bumper and we've had it for 2 weeks. Granted my wife took it on two road trips, but I was hoping it would be a longer than 2 weeks before the first chip.

Member #
    Great post, I'd say you nailed it, in every catagory. Especially the "look" comment. Although I've heard mumbling, from some of my pick-up truck buddies, it looks like a girls ride.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    I am taking delivery of my Evoque in two days. It's a Dynamic and with the only option I felt -- since it was available -- was a "must-have": Magnetic suspension. I had it on my C6 Corvette and will always get this if avail. This suspension is a revelation. Developed by Delphi and AC/Delco, first for Cadillac and then, in 1993, Corvette. Corvette struggled for years to get their meat-head fan base to get-it, and when Ferrari embraced it, meat-heads finally did. If you have not driven a car with this suspension, try it.

OK, nitro tires are all the rage on new cars these days and really well, honestly a waste. But, hey, vogue is vogue.

Member #
    What is the advangtage of a magnetic suspension. I have not heard of that before.

Member #
    More than you wanted to know, but, hey... https://www.evoqueforums.net/forum/ev...echnology.html

Only thing it doesn't say (I think) is it samples the road surface at a minimum of a 1000 times a second. Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagneRide
    Last edited by scrannel; 01-17-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Member #
    Yep, I feel the magnetic suspension is a must have. Love mine

2012 Dynamic 5 door, Fuji White and Santorini black top, Lunar interior Style 6 sparkle rims, Climate comfort, adaptive dynamic, Sat and HD radio
    2012 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLTRXSE Harley Davidson Roadglide White Gold Pearl and Starfire Black
    2013 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLHRSE5 Harley Davidson Road King an ultra-premium Diamond Dust, Obsidian and Palladium paint scheme, 110th Anniversary Edition.

Member #
    Took delivery Saturday -- car is gorgeous! Right in the middle of going over everything, my sales-guy and I are asked to please relocate as the Kardashians were coming in, with their whole film crew, to take delivery of three, new black Ranges. Fun day, great car.

Ah, now I see where one of them went: notice my dealer on the front plate!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...-sweet-16.html
    Last edited by scrannel; 01-21-2013 at 04:07 AM.

Member #
    Wow...very interesting...still $90K for a car for a 16 year old seems like a bad business investment

Member #
    OK, my turn. I got the USA version of the Dynamic. This means it came with nearly everything I wanted (not including racks and such). I wanted a Mag Suspension car and Ork Grey and Lunar perf int. So my dealer found one on a dealer exchange. It did not come with sat radio (which I never use); it did not come with parking assist; it did not come with proximity sensors; it did not come with the rear tv screens. But everything else, including the surround camera setup; cold weather package; upgraded Dynamic interior which includes Strata Wood and brushed aluminum. Came with illuminated sills; metal trim on pedals; etc. All that stuff I guess comes on the Dynamic.

Coming from a full size Range the gas mileage is great, to me. In fact I drive around with it in Sport mode 99% of the time. And with the Mag suspension, this is really a Range Rover Sports sedan. I love AWD cars and this one handles very well. I haven't really played with the Mag Suspension in agressive mode. I like the mix of leather, wood, metal and recycled materials. It's got the Meridian sound system, which is damned good. Got the pano roof which brightens everything up. Bluetooth synchs with my Motorola phone perfectly; iPod through USB, perfect; read complaints the CD upload was slow, mine is fine. Nav -- no complaints. In So Cal using the traffic monitor system is like taking LSD in a nut house because everything is screwed up all the time. Shut it off. Seats are v. comfy.

In conclusion: charming, slick Range Rover sports sedan with paddle shifting auto that's great for sport touring and perfect for dodging around (and parking) in a tight city environment. When I drive up to Mammoth, will find out about snow. In short, love it!
    Last edited by scrannel; 01-28-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Ads