Oil Type?

Oil Type?

This is a discussion on Oil Type? within the Evoque Maintenance forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque Garage category; The car says Castrol 5-30w SAE. Couldn't find a synthetic designation anywhere on the car or in the manual, called the dealer and they said ...

Thread: Oil Type?

Member #

Oil Type?

The car says Castrol 5-30w SAE. Couldn't find a synthetic designation anywhere on the car or in the manual, called the dealer and they said use 100% synthetic. Anyone know different?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I believe castrol is synthetic.

Member #
    They make a 5-30w non synthetic, a synthetic blend and a full synthetic. My previous cars have all clearly designated which to use but it's vague on the Evoque.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Well synthetic is oil based oil with a lot of engineering additives that break down slower than regular oil(conventional). Which in turn means you can drive more miles or go longer with out and oil change. In my eyes they only way to go. Cost is more as well with Synthetic.

I ran into the same issue when I called the dealer about the car as well. They stated that the oil doesn’t need to be changed until 16,000 miles or every 12 months. I have been racing for a long time and never heard of any oil going that long without a change. Plus they said it was synthetic oil as well, but the manual and the cap has no such markings. I will take the dealerships word since it would be under warranty if they mess it up…lol

Member #
    My dealer wants me to come in and change my oil at 7500 miles.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchgeekLdibari View Post
    My dealer wants me to come in and change my oil at 7500 miles.
    Manual says 15 or 16,000 miles, or 1 year. Dealer told me to do it at 7500 or 1 year.

I run my diesel pick up 10K on oil changes, and oil analysis says at 10K my oil is still good. Use full synthetic

2012 Dynamic 5 door, Fuji White and Santorini black top, Lunar interior Style 6 sparkle rims, Climate comfort, adaptive dynamic, Sat and HD radio
    2012 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLTRXSE Harley Davidson Roadglide White Gold Pearl and Starfire Black
    2013 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLHRSE5 Harley Davidson Road King an ultra-premium Diamond Dust, Obsidian and Palladium paint scheme, 110th Anniversary Edition.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by FLSTFIDave View Post
    Manual says 15 or 16,000 miles, or 1 year. Dealer told me to do it at 7500 or 1 year.I run my diesel pick up 10K on oil changes, and oil analysis says at 10K my oil is still good. Use full synthetic
    How often are people rotating tires? 7500 or earlier?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Evocurious View Post
    How often are people rotating tires? 7500 or earlier?
    I think I will do tire rotation at 10K. That is what I have been doing on my Crew Cab Dually, my Impala and the FJ cruiser I traded. Seems to work well.

2012 Dynamic 5 door, Fuji White and Santorini black top, Lunar interior Style 6 sparkle rims, Climate comfort, adaptive dynamic, Sat and HD radio
    2012 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLTRXSE Harley Davidson Roadglide White Gold Pearl and Starfire Black
    2013 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLHRSE5 Harley Davidson Road King an ultra-premium Diamond Dust, Obsidian and Palladium paint scheme, 110th Anniversary Edition.

Member #
    Well I just had my first oil change 15000 miles, no problems. It is synthetic oil just a FYI. I watched the mechanic put it in.

Member #
    The oil is always all "well-discussed theme". There are preferations of the owners and those of the carmakers. In fact, oiltechnology advanced in the last years, but the physical facts stays the same. There are mechanic parts moving and they have to be cooled and lubricate under different conditions. An oil change more than requested is always good for the engine, caus the small parts out of the machine are transported and cought into the filter. So the main thing is, not to change the oil and leave the old filter in. What kind of oil you fill in depends on where you live, how you drive, and what you want.
    I went well with all my recent cars with Mobil 1, anyhow expecially for Turboengines the "synthetic" factor is a matter. Apart of the oilqualitiy it is also important, how you treat your engine. If its cold and you push like hell... not good. Remember, that the watertemperature display show the water temperature, and not the oil temperature. So when water is OK, oil isn't still. On the other side, some people let their engine run after arrived at destination for 20 seconds to give the oil the flowbacktime.
    the 7500 KM change is in fact a "goodwill" to your engine. Not measurable, but after years it could help to let your engine properly with no oilconsumption and a maximum efficiency. Shure... it costs a bit. But longterm: it is a good investment. I drove for 12 years Saab Turboengines and never had any problem due to a bit of discipline.

Ads