Use of Fuel System Cleaners

This is a discussion on Use of Fuel System Cleaners within the Evoque Maintenance forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque Garage category; After Rovingvic’s post about a Range Rover technician saying we should never use fuel system cleaners, I did a little research on the subject. Below ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rsquared

Thread: Use of Fuel System Cleaners

Super Moderator
    Member #

After Rovingvic’s post about a Range Rover technician saying we should never use fuel system
    cleaners, I did a little research on the subject. Below are two videos posted by a Ford technician about
    carbon build up on Ford’s 2.0 liter Ecoboost engines. Although this is about a Ford Explorer, we have the same engine in our Evoques.

The bottom line is, fuel system cleaners cause too much heat, and can damage the turbo. I had posted I was going to use
    Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner in my Evoque, as I had used this cleaner for years in all my other vehicles. After watching
    the below videos, I have changed my mind!

Gman likes this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Excellent info! Thanks for researching Rsquared!
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Member #
    Using a "Tier Ten" good detergent gasoline will be helpful in light of this problem. Also helpful is more frequent oil changes than recommended by Landrover – synthetic oil vapor with more stability (less mileage) would seem to have less tendency to burn onto the valves during PCV recirculation. Isn't the turbo failure due to cleaners that are sprayed in a condensed form directly into the intake in an attempt to clean the valve deposits, not with cleaners that are added to the gas tank and are used in a more diluted form such as the gas tank added Chevron cleaner you mentioned? My preventive maintenance for carbon build up is a lonely stretch of straight road and hold my gas pedal to the floor at least once a week.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Mstraka,

After reviewing the first video, I agree that the technician is talking about "induction cleaning" damaging the turbos. I agree with you that a gasoline additive would be too diluted to generate
    enough heat to do any harm. To add to that point, if you purchase Chevron brand gas, it has Techron in it already, so I think I may still try a bottle of Techron once I have accumulated
    some more miles.

Member #
    I have primarily use Shell's 93 octane/super sense it is closest to my house and a fairly new gas station. If not Shell then the Super grade from Chevron, Texaco and Exxon, which are all 93 in our part of Texas.
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Member #
    Techron still best product on the market and mileage aside, every vehicle including the diesel get a bottle every six months. I have NEVER had a serious engine issue in the 25+ vehicles I've owned!

Member #
    I find it interesting that my technician at RR said to try using mid-grade gasoline to see if that might stop the lagging at 70mph.... I'm in California, so maybe our gas is a bit "different" ?? Any thoughts to this new strategy by RR? Or are they just grasping at straws, at this point?

Member #
    I was told the same thing, try mid-grade every few tanks. I couldn't follow that logic. Did you read the amber check engine thread I referred you to? The problem was cured after replacing a hose that feeds the fuel rail!

Member #
    FYI, our fuel in CA has 2% more ethanol than other states.... just another reason our gas supply is always in shortage It also gives me worse fuel economy so I use more gas and pollute more. Way to go CA !

Ads