Transmission Software Reprogram

This is a discussion on Transmission Software Reprogram within the Evoque Maintenance forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque Garage category; I've noticed the shifting is not as smooth as before the software upgrade. My friend also has a 2014 that has the upgrade, and he ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cbracer
  • 2 Post By markosolo

Thread: Transmission Software Reprogram

Member #

I've noticed the shifting is not as smooth as before the software upgrade. My friend also has a 2014 that has the upgrade, and he also noticed the transmission shifting is not as smooth as when he purchased his Evoque. When I received the first notice a few months ago and called the dealer, I was told to ignore the notice. When I went to the dealership a few weeks ago, the upgrade was done.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I just got the upgrade too. I lurches up the onramp if given even a little gas. Not a smooth lurch either! Not like a sweet Turbo boost - more like a "&$%# What just happened?!! I hardly pressed the pedal at all !"

Member #
    I had my 2015 Evoque in the service department and they updated the transmission software Q450 calibration as it was a "recall" and not optional. Unfortunately now my transmission doesn't downshift as I slow down. I used to feel it in the engine braking but now it won't downshift until I'm below 1500 rpm. Here's the problem.... I brake for a corner, turn the corner and try to accelerate. There's a delay as it shifts down then takes off like a rocket. Before it would downshift as I was braking for the corner, and be in the right gear coming out of the corner! ARGH. Seems the throttle curve also changed since the engine software got reset or upgraded not sure. But the downshifting and transmission is no longer fabulous like when I bought it!
    Wish I could go back in time and not let them upgrade this recall.......
    Sonomadoug likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    I have a 2014 Evoque and also recently had the Q450 transmission shift points software pushed on me at the dealer. I noticed the same issues that others have commented on and I'm not a happy camper about it. The car lurches and jerks upon moderate to hard acceleration in D drive setting and the engine lags (strains) upon de-acclerating from highway speed until it finally decides to down shift. I looked into getting Q450 taken off and going back to what I had, no from the dealer and no from Land Rover. In S sport setting, it's better but still not as nice as before. It behaves OK only if you drive with slow, progressive acceleration, not at all why I bought the car in the first place. I'm unfamiliar with some apparent other transmission issues, but here's my take on the Q450. They force quick up shifts and have slowed down shifts, which keeps the rpm lower, which in turn makes for a potential claim to even better fuel economy for their fleet average, which is why the Eco button exists. I already automatically turn off the Eco button, so now I'll see about always using Sport setting. Also: Land Rover slipped (?) out that there is another 9 - speed change referred to as Q 500NAS1 which the dealer at first didn't know about, but then upon checking on their internal system told me it didn't apply to my VIN and have not received any formal notice on it yet. Anyone know anything about Q 500?
    Ironhead2 and Sonomadoug like this.

Member #
    Amen to the two previous posts. Land Rover replaced the transmission a month ago on my 8000 mile 2014 Evoque. Nothing changed. The symptoms noted above were consistent with my Evoque. Note that I said were. From a great vehicle to the post reprogramming vehicle, I got "p..... off" and traded it for a new BMW X4. Took my lumps and went back to my BMW roots. None of the paperwork I received from Land Rover ever said it was a "recall". If it were, try and get the paperwork that made it a "recall". In the end, my Evoque was more unsafe with the transmission trying to find what gear it had to be in and not down shifting when I stopped causing it to lurch forward. Good Luck all.

Member #
    JLR should really go back to the six speed transmission. This is an obvious reason Ford and GM continue to use the six speed on transverse mount engines!
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Member #
    I don't have a problem with the 9 speed over the 6 speed, love it in fact, well before Q450 update. It always downshifted and was always in the right gear. Some shifts were super smooth except for a couple specific ones due to how the tranny works. I just want the thing back before Q450. I drove a used 2014 before buying my new 2015 and its tranny wasn't as smooth, not that the year makes a difference but it was older and abused likely as the service loaner vehicle.

Member #
    Did anyone find any reasonable 'fix' to the Q450 update? I likely don't know any better as mine is a 2016 but it seems to exhibit the same issue with lazy downshifts and early upstifts (lugging). As mentioned it wants to downshift out of the corner and not into it. If you use the paddles you can experience what the tranny should be doing! Frustrating as I can't, or don't want, to manually shift.

Member #
    I finally sold my Evoque because it no longer downshifted going into a corner, which it did before the tranny update !!

Ads