Motor Oil Options / Alternatives

This is a discussion on Motor Oil Options / Alternatives within the Evoque Maintenance forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque Garage category; I was looking to build a thread similar to the one for alternative oil filters. I have checked with Mobil 1 as well as Amsoil ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mstraka
  • 1 Post By scrannel

Thread: Motor Oil Options / Alternatives

Member #

I was looking to build a thread similar to the one for alternative oil filters.

I have checked with Mobil 1 as well as Amsoil and they do not make an oil for our evoques (motor oil meeting specification WSS-M2C913-C, which is fully synthetic low saps suitable for diesels with dpf's and all petrols). If anyone has it please list the ford part number for the oil and any other oils that meet the manufactures specifications. Thank you

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by wfo_180 View Post
    I was looking to build a thread similar to the one for alternative oil filters.

I have checked with Mobil 1 as well as Amsoil and they do not make an oil for our evoques (motor oil meeting specification WSS-M2C913-C, which is fully synthetic low saps suitable for diesels with dpf's and all petrols). If anyone has it please list the ford part number for the oil and any other oils that meet the manufactures specifications. Thank you
    Unless you have a diesel (???) any good synthetic of the correct viscosity will work for your Ford manufactured 2.0 ecoboost.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mstraka View Post
    Unless you have a diesel (???) any good synthetic of the correct viscosity will work for your Ford manufactured 2.0 ecoboost.
    What brand have you been running and for how long? What change intervals have you been gone with?

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    When I had my oil changed at the dealer, I asked the Service Adviser to put one of the empty oil bottles into a plastic bag I had in the boot. I knew they used
    Castrol, but I wanted to know exactly what product they used. You can see from the picture that this is Castrol "Professional". This isn't sold at the local auto parts store. However, the Castrol
    Edge fully synthetic, in the gold bottle, sold at parts stores, does meet Ford's WSS M2C929-A , but not the WSS-M2C913-C. But I agree with mstraka, that any good synthetic should be okay.

I have used Castrol products for 30 plus years. My 12 cylinder Jaguar, as well as my BMW specified Castrol products in the owner's manual. Land Rover also recommends Castrol products.
    That's good enough for me... of course this is just my humble opinion. There will be forum members just as loyal to Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Valoline etc.

Name:  Castrol Edge.JPG
Views: 2540
Size:  1.40 MB
    Last edited by Rsquared; 05-02-2015 at 03:19 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by wfo_180 View Post
    What brand have you been running and for how long? What change intervals have you been gone with?
    I change it more frequently than Land Rover suggests, at 6,000 miles. Some folks think this is a waste and environmentally wrong. We all have our favorite brands. I use Mobile 1, often on sale at Costco or an auto parts store, and either a Mobile 1 or K&N filter. WIX premium filters are also good, often sold at NAPA as their premium (gold?) filter. For peace of mind, when I change the oil I know what oil is in the motor. Make certain the oil filter is a long life type that can be used with the extended oil change interval of synthetic oil.
    wfo_180 likes this.

Member #
    I'm sure you are aware that the definition of "synthetic" has been changed by the Mobile vs Castrol court case of a few years back. That aside, I do think it's a waste of time, money and material to change your oil more frequently than required unless you are, essentially, racing/rallying your car where the engine spends large amounts of time in severe conditions.
    Rovingvic likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
    I'm sure you are aware that the definition of "synthetic" has been changed by the Mobile vs Castrol court case of a few years back. That aside, I do think it's a waste of time, money and material to change your oil more frequently than required unless you are, essentially, racing/rallying your car where the engine spends large amounts of time in severe conditions.
    How many miles are on your evoque? Have you been doing your on oil / filter and if so which oil and filter have you been using? thank you

Member #
    Plan on DIY myself this fall, but 0W-30 will be my choice for cold starts below zero at times. 5W-30 if fine for the benign climate in Britian. Turbo motors are pretty hard on oil. The oil in my Evoque at 7000 miles looks like it isn't going to win any trophies. Annual oil change unless garaged or, personally, I'd never let a 4 banger turbo go more than 10000 miles. I don't bother but I'm sure some of our petrol heads with Ecoboosts have had their oil tested by now.
    BYW I fully agree that 3000, 5000 and even 7500 mile oil changes are fruitless in most motors, but this turbo motor is almost always on boost (meaning hot) and runs at very low rpms TOO often for ideal filtration to occur. Even my Diesel BMW is annual or ~15000 mile service intervals. They wouldn't allow it if it caused damage, but on the other hand, its better for them if vehicle doesn't last forever....hummm. At least we're not filling landfills with Prius batteries..hehe as oil is recyclable

Ads