Evoque just died, giving dozens of error codes, won't recognize key, etc

This is a discussion on Evoque just died, giving dozens of error codes, won't recognize key, etc within the Evoque Maintenance forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque Garage category; Hello all, I set out today to change the rear brake pads on the car. Tried multiple times to put the car into brake pad ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Hello all,
    I set out today to change the rear brake pads on the car. Tried multiple times to put the car into brake pad service mode, but had no luck. Eventually decided to put the car into neutral, disengage the parking brake, and unplug the brake motors in case the parking brake decided to re-engage.

Got things put back together, all was well, turned the car off. It stayed in neutral. When I tried to turn it back on, I got error codes for
    • parking brake
    • neutral
    • transmission
    • hill descent
    • adaptive dynamics
    • stability control
    • terrain response
    • headlights
    • smart key
    • blind spot monitoring

and probably more. It appears every fault I could get, I did get.

The car now won't recognize the key at all, even if I place it under the steering column.. I can't lock/unlock the doors. When I can get the dash to power up, it won't even go into the error codes any more, just says no key, then illuminates both blinker arrows constantly.

I tried disconnecting the battery for a while to see if I could hard reset the system, but no luck. Pulled fuse 1 to try to reset the smart key system, but no luck.

Any thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    It looks like you tried everything I would have suggested. I know to reset the Check Engine Light on most cars, the battery needs to be disconnected for
    10 minutes. I know you are not trying to reset the CEL, just using that as an example. How long did you leave the battery disconnected? If less than
    10 minutes, I would try again for at least that long.

Good Luck!

Member #
    In fact it may just be a bad battery.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
    In fact it may just be a bad battery.
    Might be as it showed all those warnings when my battery died

Member #
    Yup, ended up being a battery issue.
    I still haven't been able to get he car to go into brake pad service mode though. Any tricks that aren't clear from the instructions posted around?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mllcb42 View Post
    Yup, ended up being a battery issue.
    I still haven't been able to get he car to go into brake pad service mode though. Any tricks that aren't clear from the instructions posted around?
    Glad you got your error messages sorted out, and was only the battery, and not a major systems failure.

Might seem like a stupid question, and no offense meant, but you are following the "Activation" section trying to get the EPB into service mode, right?

I know some folks might think "Activation" is coming out of service mode, and "Deactivation" is deactivating the EPB. But it is the other way round.

Just a thought.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsquared View Post
    Glad you got your error messages sorted out, and was only the battery, and not a major systems failure.

Might seem like a stupid question, and no offense meant, but you are following the "Activation" section trying to get the EPB into service mode, right?

I know some folks might think "Activation" is coming out of service mode, and "Deactivation" is deactivating the EPB. But it is the other way round.

Just a thought.
    Yup, I was following the activation steps (I also tried the deactivation steps, just to be sure). The car will not enter brake pads service mode

Fortuately, while searching high and low to find anything online that would resolve my car not going into brake pads service mode, I came across a land rover document on how the evoque is supposed to be transported prior to delivery. Included in this document was discussion on how to manually disengage and retract the emergency parking brake motor/piston.

By unbolting the 2 bolts that hold the parking brake motor on, you can slide the motor off. This gives you access to the back of the parking brake piston which is keyed. A properly sized torx key can be inserted and rotated to retract the piston.

Following that method, I was able to retract the piston and get the pads changed without ever having to enter into brake pads service mode. .

Member #
    Good to hear. So everything is sorted now?
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Glad to hear you found a way to get this sorted out. Still a mystery as to why you can't get the car into the EPB service mode.
    You may want to ask the dealer about this, the next time you go in for service.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mllcb42 View Post
    Yup, I was following the activation steps (I also tried the deactivation steps, just to be sure). The car will not enter brake pads service mode

Fortuately, while searching high and low to find anything online that would resolve my car not going into brake pads service mode, I came across a land rover document on how the evoque is supposed to be transported prior to delivery. Included in this document was discussion on how to manually disengage and retract the emergency parking brake motor/piston.

By unbolting the 2 bolts that hold the parking brake motor on, you can slide the motor off. This gives you access to the back of the parking brake piston which is keyed. A properly sized torx key can be inserted and rotated to retract the piston.

Following that method, I was able to retract the piston and get the pads changed without ever having to enter into brake pads service mode. .
    Could you possibly scan and post the document you found?
    Either that or send the link.

Much Obliged.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads