your recommendation - Best BRAND for ceramic pads?

This is a discussion on your recommendation - Best BRAND for ceramic pads? within the Evoque Maintenance forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque Garage category; Dealer said my pads are wearing out,...there is no way I'll replace with the factory pads since they create so much brake dust. What is ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: your recommendation - Best BRAND for ceramic pads?

Member #

Dealer said my pads are wearing out,...there is no way I'll replace with the factory pads since they create so much brake dust.
    What is your first-hand experience using ceramic pads with an Evoque?

IS there a particular BRAND YOU recommend?

- & do they affect rotor wear differently than the O.E.M. pads?

Last edited by dustywheels; 01-14-2016 at 06:45 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    When I installed ceramic pads on my LR2 the first thing I noticed was stopping required more pedal pressure. You'll get use to it a couple of drives but it is a different feeling. You also still get brake dust, not as much and not as dark as the factory pads. I don't really remember the brand , but I think it was Hawk...or something similar.
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dustywheels View Post
    Dealer said my pads are wearing out,...there is no way I'll replace with the factory pads since they create so much brake dust.
    What is your first-hand experience using ceramic pads with an Evoque?

IS there a particular BRAND YOU recommend?

- & do they affect rotor wear differently than the O.E.M. pads?

Ceramic pads will reduce the braking effectiveness of the Evoque. They require more brake pedal pressure to achieve the same stopping force when compared to the metallic pads that are original equipment. The original pads have excellent fast response and have saved me several times where I doubt that ceramic pads would have done the same. Ceramic pads are easier on the rotors but I wonder what the results will be when switching to them if you retain the rotors that are scored with normal use from metallic pads. Yes there is hardly a trace of visible brake dust using the ceramic pads. My experience with ceramic pads are not from installing them on the Evoque but from use on another car I own.
    Rovingvic likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    I really don't think 99% of the people can tell the difference between ceramic pads and metallic pads, though any different pad will require different pedal force. The problem is knowing the differences between pads because that info isn't available and just because they cut their material to fit the Evoque doesn't mean it's made for the Evoque. But I'd say there is no way they would make a difference to the point where someone would say the ceramic's wouldn't have stopped them in time. If you encountered a potential crash you'd press on the pedal really hard regardless of what pad is in there, and they'd stop just the same because the limiting factor is the tires and ABS. I'm an automotive engineer so I do have some qualifications.
    Last edited by cbracer; 01-24-2016 at 11:00 PM.
    dustywheels likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mstraka View Post
    "Ceramic pads are easier on the rotors but I wonder what the results will be when switching to them if you retain the rotors that are scored with normal use from metallic pads.
    Does anyone have experience on the above?
    I was told by 1 independent garage that works on Range Rover's it does not make a difference, but the dealer stating it can and might.
    Arghhh...

Member #
    When I switched to ceramic on my LR2 I didn't change the rotors and didn't have any issues.
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Member #
    I switched to EBC Green pads and like them well enough. Its not an end to Brake Dust, but better than OEM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogscout View Post
    I switched to EBC Green pads and like them well enough. Its not an end to Brake Dust, but better than OEM.
    Arghhh, EBC does not make the "Green" or "Red" versions of this pad for the EVOQUE even though the drop down shows that they do.
    Red ones emit 80% LESS dust than O.E.M.- per their advertising.

https://www.shopebcbrakes.com/EBC-Re...r-Evoque/p9536

EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads - SHIPS FREE - AutoAnything
    Last edited by dustywheels; 02-01-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Member #
    I'm not referring to a panic stop over a distance of several car lengths, but stopping the car where the fractional second reaction time makes the difference in avoiding a collision, such as in city driving at a moderate speed. Thats where the fast bite of the metallic pads out perform ceramics in stopping distance.

Member #
    Sorry I do not recall where I bought the EBC Green pads. Written on the box was a not that they fit a Ford. Mondeo or maybe Fusion. If I find a reciept I'll post back here with a supplier and part number.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads