Phantom Honk

Phantom Honk

This is a discussion on Phantom Honk within the Evoque Maintenance forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque Garage category; I've been reading, on another forum, about a phantom honk issue on the 2016 models. So far I haven't seen mention of it here. Apparently ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sonomadoug

Thread: Phantom Honk

Member #

Phantom Honk

I've been reading, on another forum, about a phantom honk issue on the 2016 models. So far I haven't seen mention of it here. Apparently there will be a recall for this in the 13th week of this year. Below are a couple of post I saw:

I took the Evoque to Land Rover/Jaguar of Lynwood and met with Michael Long who is a Service Advisor. He said he is very aware of the "phantom honk" and Range Rover has acknowledged there is an issue. In fact, multiple rental vehicles of theirs have the same problem. Michael said it's likely attributed to the sensor that allows the tailgate to be opened with a swipe of your foot under the rear bumper.

He said it's either a sensor failure or something electrical, but it is, in fact, a problem and Land Rover is working on it. He asked me to bring the vehicle back Monday so they can provide a loaner vehicle and attempt to fix the issue.

If the fix is software related, it's going to be dome time before the update is pushed out. If its hardware, a replacement sensor might do the trick.

You can reach out to him if you want as I am attaching his contact information. He also said their location and Bellevue are under the same owner so Bellevue should also be aware of this problem now.

Michael Long - Service Advisor
    Phone: 1-425-9222 EXT 143
    Email: [email protected]
    Last edited by Rovingvic; 01-16-2016 at 09:44 AM.
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Thanks for that info. I have the same 'phantom' in my 16'. I began with a very quick 2 part beep-beep and continued with no particular rhythm. While on the phone w/ Rover it naturally stopped so they couldn't hear it. When I walked near the rear of the car the tailgate magically opened w/o input from me. I had not waved my foot under the bumper at all. It finally stopped.
    One morning at about 4 AM I woke to hear it beep-beep once. Waiting for the neighborhood lynch mob if it continued. The next day during a very heavy rain I was looking out the window at the downpour and it did it again...just once.
    When I called Cole European (East bay-SF) I was also informed they were aware and are working on a fix. They also said it had something to do with water and the rear tailgate sensor. After review I realized that it had always been raining with some amounts of water running under the Evoque when I had the issue.
    If you have this issue there is a panic fix. In the rear luggage area, under the small hatch door there, you can pull one of the 25 amp fuses that controls the tailgate. It's in the manual in the fuse schematic. They call the fuse white but it's actually sort of tannish. That should disable it.
    Hoping for a sofware, or hardware, fix soon...
    Rovingvic likes this.

Member #
    FYI The info below is from an owner on another forum.

So, I have an update! I took our car to be serviced last week and, as for now, the solution is working!
    They disconnected the gesture tailgate sensors and there's no more phantom honk! We've had many rainy days lately and I even car washed my car today (major test!) to make sure the issue's gone!
    A software update is currently in development and they will reconnect the sensor once the update become available.
    Land Rover is referring to the issue under "SSM72577".
    Thanks to everyone who helped on this thread!!!!
    Will update the thread as soon as I have any news.
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Ads