Replacing brake pads on the range rover evoque

This is a discussion on Replacing brake pads on the range rover evoque within the Evoque Maintenance forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque Garage category; I’ve replaced the factory brake pads front and rear with EBC ‘green stuff, pads that fit perfectly (front # DP21932, rear # DP 21934.) The ...

Member #

I’ve replaced the factory brake pads front and rear with EBC ‘green stuff, pads that fit perfectly (front # DP21932, rear # DP 21934.) The factory pads had less than 1/8” left in 25,000 miles of mostly city driving, The rear were worn more than the front. The Topix sequence of steps to disengage the parking brake worked as described. I also watched two YouTube videos on the same event, one to disengage the parking brake and the other to re-activate it — very helpful to get the operation down. I didn’t get all the confirmation prompts on the dash as mentioned in the video — search on YouTube ‘Evoque rear brake pad replacement service mode.’ Its mentioned that you will hear the service motor running when the operation is working. The motor is quiet (you may think it hasn’t operated,)

Rear Calipers: A little confusing in getting the 13mm rear caliper bolts removed as the bolts fit inside a sleeve that wants to turn with the bolts. The sleeve has a hex nut around it to hold it stationary while the bolt is screwed out. My open end wrenches were too wide to fit in the space of the sleeve hex. I used a needle nose vice grips to hold it steady.

Front Calipers: You must remove plastic caps to get to the caliper bolts requiring a 7mm hex socket to remove. The brake clips may pose a challenge to remove being careful not to damage them, they are easy to reinstall. There is a metal backing plate to remove and reinstall on the new outer front pads.

To press the caliper piston back (front and rear,) I used the brake piston caliper tool as shown in the photos on our forum’s excellent thread depicting this operation. This tool is easily found at most auto parts stores for less than $10. Its called a Brake Pad Spreader ( Pep Boys and Auto Zone #25265, Lisle # 24400, NAPA #BK7769093. Remember to vent (loosen/remove) the Master Cylinder cap. When finished the brake fluid returned to the full level as I never added any fluid. The EBC pads have a soft material on their reverse side. I assume this is for vibration dampening so I didn’t apply any brake grease to the reverse side of the pad contacting the piston. The only place I applied the grease was to the threads of the caliper bolts as there was no trace of factory grease elsewhere.

As of this writing the EBC pads are still bedding in after 50 miles and work great. They have a temporary abrasive surface to polish the old rotors to the new pad surface. The annoying brake creaking that I experienced since the Evoque was new is now gone. Although only on a short time, my impression of these pads seem equal to or better than the excellent factory pads — great pedal feel and fast initial bite, not found on ceramic pads.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Nice write up, thanks for sharing.

Member #
    Hey All,
    I have a 2015 Evoque Pure Plus with 33,000 miles I just had the brakes and rotors replaced.
    Granted, I put 125 miles a day (600 miles a week min.) on the RR with most in stop and go traffic
    Is this normal wear and tear for this vehicle?

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gebstr83 View Post
    Hey All,
    I have a 2015 Evoque Pure Plus with 33,000 miles I just had the brakes and rotors replaced.
    Granted, I put 125 miles a day (600 miles a week min.) on the RR with most in stop and go traffic
    Is this normal wear and tear for this vehicle?

Thanks
    As I stated in my original post of this thread – at 24,000 miles of mostly city driving, all the pads on my Evoque were worn down to minimal thickness. I didn't replace the rotors as they were in very good condition.

An update on the performance of the replacement EBC greenstuff pads I installed 600 miles ago. I'm very impressed with stopping power of these semi- metallic pads. An added benefit is the low amount of visible brake dust when compared to the original dusty pads. I didn't go with ceramic pads because of their reduced performance, even with the best / most expensive ones. My brake job cost me less than $200 (cost of pads for all four wheels.)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mstraka View Post
    As I stated in my original post of this thread — at 24,000 miles of mostly city driving, all the pads on my Evoque were worn down to minimal thickness. I didn't replace the rotors as they were in very good condition.

An update on the performance of the replacement EBC greenstuff pads I installed 600 miles ago. I'm very impressed with stopping power of these semi- metallic pads. An added benefit is the low amount of visible brake dust when compared to the original dusty pads. I didn't go with ceramic pads because of their reduced performance, even with the best / most expensive ones. My brake job cost me less than $200 (cost of pads for all four wheels.)
    Thanks.

I guess I should have changed the pads @ 24K. The reality was the right rear was scraping and front made a little noise. The others were close
    so I decided to do them all.

Ads