Changing Headlight Bulb

Changing Headlight Bulb

This is a discussion on Changing Headlight Bulb within the Evoque Maintenance forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque Garage category; Sounds simple right.... We have a MY13 Coupe, purchased new, with just over 9,000 miles on the clock. A garage queen/grocery getter for the wife. ...

Super Moderator
    Member #

Changing Headlight Bulb

Sounds simple right....

We have a MY13 Coupe, purchased new, with just over 9,000 miles on the clock. A garage queen/grocery getter for the wife. We don't have Daytime Running Lights, so the wife always turns on the lights when she drives. Yesterday morning, she was backing out of the garage to go to the store, I noticed the driver's side headlight was out. A little research, and I found it takes a standard 9005 Halogen bulb.

A trip to the auto parts store, and home with a Sylvania 9005 bulb. The driver's side has precious little room to get at the back of the headlight assembly, due to the air box. Removed the rear cover, and the electrical connector from the bulb. I cloud then turn the bulb counter clockwise and remove the bulb. The factory bulb was made by Philips, the new one by Sylvania. They looked identical, with three tabs along the outside of the base, used to lock the bulb in place. I paid attention to the position of the bulb locked in place, as well as where it ended up when rotated to remove.

I place the new bulb in the back of the headlight assembly and no way would it turn to lock in place. I tried the old bulb, and it rotated with no problem. Although the new bulb had the same size tabs, they were thicker, and therefore wouldn't let the bulb go in far enough to rotate into place. No one in my area carries Philips bulbs. So, I placed the bulb in my vice, and using a medium course rasp, filed the tabs so they were the same thickness as the original bulb. It then rotated into place and worked fine.

Just thought I'd post this so if someone else runs into this, they would know why the new bulb might not turn.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Ads