Argh. Engine Problems at 3500 miles!

Argh. Engine Problems at 3500 miles!

This is a discussion on Argh. Engine Problems at 3500 miles! within the Evoque Maintenance forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque Garage category; I love the looks of my black-on-top, white-on-the-bottom 5-door Dynamic. It's cool and loaded with every option except the rear entertainment system. And, I've already ...

Member #

Thumbs up Argh. Engine Problems at 3500 miles!

I love the looks of my black-on-top, white-on-the-bottom 5-door Dynamic. It's cool and loaded with every option except the rear entertainment system. And, I've already started adding little custom bits like custom aluminum rear door sills and a third 'dead' pedal.

But, I also knew how legendary this marque was for it's mechanical problems.

I've only had it 6 weeks and I've got a check engine light and got the wonderful 'performance restricted' warning in the information cluster. I'm angry enough to spit nails. This shouldn't happen to a brand new car.

Much as I love this new 'toy', I can't be one of those owners whose car is on the road only slightly more often than it's in the repair bay. If this is what I have to look forward to, I'm dumping this car. Assuming they can fix this expeditiously, I'll give it one last chance.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Sorry to hear that. You would think that if Land Rover can get the design right, they would also finally get the production side of things in order. Aparently not. All these problems seem typical of the Land Rover brand. I've avoided Land Rover for years knowing they were plagued with problems. Having seen the evoque, I conter intuitively rushed out and bought one. The design is beautiful. Fingers crossed I stay trouble free.Keep us posted on how you go and thanks for posting.

Member #
    This is our 3rd Rover. No problems on the first two. Hopefully none on this one. Keep in mind that the engine is a Ford eco boost unit. Kinda hard to blame Rover.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    OK, verdict is multiple occurrences of fault codes p0303-00, p0300-00 and p1315-00. Multiple engine misfires in cylinder 3.

(Engine misfire is exactly what I told the service adviser to look for, because unfortunately I have suffered that before and I know what that feels like.)

So the good news is that while I was expecting to have to replace ignition coils/coilpacks, my dealer made a call to Land Rover and was told to first try simply replacing the spark plug. Replacing the spark plug seems to have done the trick! If this fix lasts (should know within a week, hopefully, if this particular cylinder will keep fouling spark plugs) it will be a load off my mind. It would be a terrible sign for engine build quality (yes, a Ford engine, I know) if coilpacks are going after 3500 miles or if keeps randomly fouling plugs.

Anyway, I am back on the road -- keep your fingers crossed.

(Insert gratuitous plug for Hannah The Service Advisor at Rosental JLR in Tyson's Corner [Washington DC Metro Area].)

Member #
    Any news on this spark plug replacement fix?

I just dropped mine off at the dealership with a solid check engine light after only 630 miles on the odometer. I'm crossing my fingers that it isn't serious but not very happy that this occurred on an essentially brand new car. This is my first Land Rover and I too was well aware of their spotty reliability record, but chose to ignore my common sense in favor of style.

Oh well, I'll keep you posted on the diagnosis.
    Last edited by EvoGoon; 06-19-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Member #
    UPDATE: Dealer said my check engine light was triggered by several fuel system error codes, one of which requesting a software update. Dealer performed diagnostics on the fuel system, conducted the necessarly software update, test drove it and the light turned off. Note that my car had not been exhibiting any adverse mileage or performance symptoms after the light had come on so I do believe the software update was the only problem.

Service Experience: Requested the service appointment in the evening via the web after hours. Land Rover Dealer (Darien, CT) called me the next morning while I was eating breakfast and told me to come drop it off before work that day w/loaner car ready. They called me back around 2pm said the car was ready for pick up today and being washed as we spoke. Very satisfied with service department, but still concerned about a brand new car needing service updates.

CT Land Rover Dealer | 203-951-6133 New & Used CT Land Rover Dealer Serving Milford & Larchmont in Darien CT 06820 | Land Rover Darien

Member #

same problem at 4800 miles

4800 miles on new Evoque. On a business trip home from DC this weekend. Three hundred miles into the trip I got the same 'restricted performance' engine light and issues out of nowhere coming down an onramp. After a few restarts and prayers, I limped it home with the check engine light on. It is showing codes 1315 and 0303.

Member #
    My issue turned out to be a simple fuel system software update, which frankly should have been done before they delivered the car. But I think this discussion thread below is more relavent to all of us and your issue specifically:

https://www.evoqueforums.net/forum/ev...-bulletin.html

Ads