My Engine Problem will become a Technical Service Bulletin

This is a discussion on My Engine Problem will become a Technical Service Bulletin within the Evoque Maintenance forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque Garage category; Well, unfortunately the problem that I describe in this thread https://www.evoqueforums.net/forum/ev...500-miles.html has reoccurred. My dealer has had my car since 5/25/2012. I have been informed ...

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: My Engine Problem will become a Technical Service Bulletin

Member #

Well, unfortunately the problem that I describe in this thread

https://www.evoqueforums.net/forum/ev...500-miles.html

has reoccurred. My dealer has had my car since 5/25/2012.

I have been informed that they have escalated the problem to Land Rover and found that this is not an isolated problem with my car. Others have the issue, and it is known to LR. The scenario that seems common to cars having this problem is:

1) Car being driven for at least an hour
    2) Weather is rainy or road is wet
    3) Car is under heavy acceleration (e.g., downshift for highway pass) when problem manifests

It is not clear to me whether this problem is with US Evoques only, although I gather from reading this forum that folks in other countries have different engine programming than we do. Our programming has the Ford EcoBoost engine tuned for 240 H.P. If I understand correctly, other countries seem to have less (?)

My suspicion (as yet unconfirmed by LR) is that there is nothing wrong with the engine -- it's either the computer or one of the engine sensors (e.g., O2 sensor). When the car is restarted after the problem manifests, the car does not always register a problem. I was on a major highway when the problem occurred and the computer put me in a "limp" mode where it regulated my speed. When I stopped for gas and turned the engine back on, the computer let me drive normally. Maybe a sensor or some exposed wiring had dried enough to let me keep going?

I have been unofficially told that this fix would be a TSB for other drivers. No idea whether you guys would get it as a recall or they'd wait until your first service interval.

Anyway, I'm not having a great time with this ownership experience, but the dealer is trying to make things right. They have me borrowing a 2012 LR4 HSE while I wait to hear more on my car.

(shaking my head)
    gapeachleelaa likes this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    No new news yet.

Land Rover TSBs available here: Land Rover results under Recalls & TSBs | AutoMD

Member #
    Epilogue....

Picked up my Evoque this morning.

The exact same three computer codes were thrown this time as last.

New diagnosis was water in seeping into the engine ignition area after prolonged driving in the wet.

Two new ignition coils in for Cylinders 1 & 3. Presumably the leak/water-tightness was also addressed, though the service advisor could not be detailed and explicit about exactly how.

LR has made this fix to numerous Evoques, but does not plan to issue a recall or a TSB at this time.

Good luck, all....

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Just happened to me, exactly as posted here:

1) Car being driven for at least an hour
    2) Weather is rainy or road is wet
    3) Car is under heavy acceleration (e.g., downshift for highway pass)

Had to have the car towed because car self-limited speed and the engine light was on.

THIS WAS A SCARY EXPERIENCE ON THE HIGHWAY. (sorry for the caps web blog guy)

The dealership diagnosed next day the issue as moisture near cylinder #3 combined with heat of the nearby intercooler. I may not have translated the service-speak exactly right.

The service guy also advised that this is something LR knows about, but doesn't have a fix for yet. So what, no driving in the rain? The service guy does not have an answer for this.

FIX IT FAST PLEASE, THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. There is a Lemon Law where I live ... And, otherwise, I love this car.

Member #
    I suspect that a lot more cars have this issue and they simply have not driven the car in these conditions and therefore have not had this happen personally.

To put it in non service speak this is a very fixable issue. I am not sure they fixed mine correctly (I have yet to drive in the rain for an hour to test) but the issue definitely CAN be fixed. It does not have anything to do with the relative location of the intercooler. It's not condensation, it's water literally leaking in. They can change the plug, change the coil, clean the cylinder, build it all back and re-seal it. They key is getting the re-seal perfect.

All I can suspect is that this is an assembly line issue where the robot screwed up the seal.

There are probably a ton of Evoques on the road with this problem. LR really needs to make this a TSB. I suspect that they consider the labor to rebuild the cylinder to be too costly to do a full TSB or recall just yet. Or, they are embarrassed at this sloppy build quality issue.

I crushed them for this on the new car survey documents -- they sent me 3 from different companies....

Member #
    Obviously its not all EV. I drove mine home in a deluge from NJ to MD. It never flinched the whole way. Sporadic problems are the worst.

Member #
    Happened to me yesterday. Exactly as previously described- Was driving 30 min at high speeds (60-70mph), road was wet. Have previously driven in these conditions with no problem several times. Accelerated rapidly and the car shuddered and the check engine light came on and the "restrictive mode" came on. Pulled off, shut down and re-started- no problems and has been fine at all speeds for 100 miles since. Will be in for routine service in 1 week- will have them look for faults. I asked the dealer about it yesterday, they claim they have "no idea" about this problem. As common as it seems, I doubt it....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Member #
    Wow...that sounds pretty freaky. Can rain a lot in San Francisco so I'm glad this was posted.

Member #
    Yeah, to be honest, this was not an "unsafe" thing, just frustrating. But it does shake my feeling of the car being "reliable". I am worried about what this says about the car's long-term ability and also what water damage might be occurring that affects the car down the road.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Evocurious View Post
    road was wet
    I've been a bit worried about this issue and have been reading about it and have been cross posting over to the other forum. In the mean time I've been hesitant to drive my Evoque in the rain and I normally drive my truck to work anyway. The rain/wet, coils got wet, software was updated to Q203, or fuel system error all seem to be common to the discussions I've seen. With the rain issue, I'm particularly curious about the person in Houston that the dealer decided he had the wrong connector type (part number) going to the coil module and it was causing the misfiring. It made me think they possibly have a water intrusion issue if these connectors aren't moisture proof. I popped the engine cover off a couple of days ago and looked at those connectors and cannot tell much so I'd like to see what that person's connectors looked like before and after his dealer repair. It just sounds reasonable that water is getting to the top side of the engine when driving at highway speeds on a wet road and in the rain. Maybe these 4 connectors need to be moisture proof and have a boot on them for good measure.

Un-f**king-believable!

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads