VVT Camshaft Issue

VVT Camshaft Issue

This is a discussion on VVT Camshaft Issue within the Evoque Maintenance forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque Garage category; 2014 LR Evoque - No warranty. I was driving and noticed an odd noise coming from engine. Shortly after I got yellow check engine light. ...

Member #

Unhappy VVT Camshaft Issue

2014 LR Evoque - No warranty.

I was driving and noticed an odd noise coming from engine. Shortly after I got yellow check engine light. No limp/restricted mode. Truck is sluggish when accelerating from a stop, but don’t notice any change when driving at higher speeds.

Trip to the dealership, I got codes

“P0341-00 Camshaft position sensor A circuit range/performance (bank 1 or single sensor) - no sub type information.

P0014-71 Exhaust (B) Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Advanced (Bank 1) Actuator stuck

P052A-00 Cold start intake (A) camshaft position timing over-advanced (bank 1)

P0011-71 Intake (A) Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Advanced (Bank 1)

Actuator stuck perform pinpoint test on camshaft sensor will need to remove valve cover to inspect both cam.”

They cannot tell me what the exact problem is, They have quoted me $2,700 to replace the VVT and $5,400 to replace the VVT, chains and guides.

Does ANYONE have any information or help with this issue? I went to a non LR mechanic and they wanted $1,100 just to tell me what the problem was.

I’m still driving the truck, it randomly has a hard time starting. The only noticeable issue I’m having is the huge drop in performance when accelerating from a stop and the check engine light. When driving on the highway there is no problem really.

ANYONE had this issue? ANY insight would be SO helpful!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Welcome to the forum! Sorry that you joined due to a major issue.

If you want to PM me your e-mail address, I can send you an exploded view of the cylinder head from the factory service manual. This shows both of the cam shaft position sensors, exhaust and intake, as well as both of the variable valve timing solenoid valves. Could be that it is one of these solenoid valves that is causing your problem. Of course, this is just a guess on my part. Seeing all of the parts involved, my help you better understand what the shops are telling you about the work involved.

Member #
    Hi,

New owner here and only had the Evoque a few months. This is my first issue. I will send you my email... any help is dearly appreciated. I’ve only been able to find one other post with a similar problem. The dealer has quoted me several different prices and they keep changing every time we talk and always go up lol. I understand it could be something simple as one of the sensors or a lot worse they won’t really know till they look. It's very frustrating. Thanks again!

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    E-mail has been sent. Let us know how you make out.
    Good luck!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamSledd View Post
    2014 LR Evoque - No warranty.

I was driving and noticed an odd noise coming from engine. Shortly after I got yellow check engine light. No limp/restricted mode. Truck is sluggish when accelerating from a stop, but don’t notice any change when driving at higher speeds.

Trip to the dealership, I got codes

“P0341-00 Camshaft position sensor A circuit range/performance (bank 1 or single sensor) - no sub type information.

P0014-71 Exhaust (B) Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Advanced (Bank 1) Actuator stuck

P052A-00 Cold start intake (A) camshaft position timing over-advanced (bank 1)

P0011-71 Intake (A) Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Advanced (Bank 1)

Actuator stuck perform pinpoint test on camshaft sensor will need to remove valve cover to inspect both cam.”

They cannot tell me what the exact problem is, They have quoted me $2,700 to replace the VVT and $5,400 to replace the VVT, chains and guides.

Does ANYONE have any information or help with this issue? I went to a non LR mechanic and they wanted $1,100 just to tell me what the problem was.

I’m still driving the truck, it randomly has a hard time starting. The only noticeable issue I’m having is the huge drop in performance when accelerating from a stop and the check engine light. When driving on the highway there is no problem really.

ANYONE had this issue? ANY insight would be SO helpful!

My 2016 Evoque died on the road recently. A 'pop' and lost all power. Flatbed to the dealer. Timing chain had broken or detached but apparently the culprit was the VVT piece. Timing chain popped a hole thru the valve cover. I had 800 miles left on factory warranty. Thank god. They've installed new engine. It took a month.
    Possible helpful info is the mechanic at the dealer told me he thought there had been a service bulletin about this issue. Maybe Land Rover knows of this issue?

Member #
    2013 evoque replaced intake valve solenoid. Ran fine now codes up po366 bank one. Doesn’t turn engine light on. But runs rough and over advance camshaft timing. Checked all wiring and connections all look good. What am I missing??

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I'm assuming from your post you replaced the variable valve timing solenoid.

I'm certainly no expert, but looking up the po366 code shows it's a "cam shaft position sensor". Obviously, there are two cam shaft position sensors, one for the intake cam, and one for the exhaust cam. The cam shaft position sensors are located on top of the cam cover directly opposite of the variable valve timing solenoid valves. If you want to PM me your e-mail address, I can send you an e-mail with an exploded view of the cylinder head, showing the location of the sensors.

Member #
    I need to change the VVT solenoids on my 2013 Evoque. Any advice for accessing and removing the old solenoids? Looks like a pretty involved job unless I'm missing something.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    The VVT solenoids sit on top of the cam cover, and can be accessed without removing anything except the plastic engine cover. If you want to PM me your e-mail address, I can send you an exploded view on the cylinder head components. This should give you an insight into where they are located etc.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsquared View Post
    The VVT solenoids sit on top of the cam cover, and can be accessed without removing anything except the plastic engine cover. If you want to PM me your e-mail address, I can send you an exploded view on the cylinder head components. This should give you an insight into where they are located etc.
    Thanks Rsquared, PM sent. I see the solenoids on the left side of the engine, but it looks like the valve cover must be taken off to access the fastener bolts and get them out. There is a rubber boot around the very top, but it appears like they stay with the cover and cannot be removed without tearing them.

Ads