Evoque Forums banner

PotentialProblem

6K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  oliverz 
#1 ·
Left my Evoque out in the driveway yesterday. During the time in the driveway, it rained hard. I got into the vehicle to put it into the garage and car would not move...the parking break was engaged??? I had not put on this brake so I don't know how this happened. Any ideas?

#2 ·
The parking break sets itself and releases automatically for your normal typical usage. It's set every time you shutdown. Just yesterday I got in and went to move my car up about a foot and put it in drive and it wouldn't move. I had the door open a couple of inches and had to manually disengage the brake.

So the auto-setting is normal and after yesterday I'd ask if you had your driver's door closed all the way too.

Or some other detail we need to know?

#8 · (Edited)
The brake will also remain engaged with the vehicle not moving, engine running, doors closed and the vehicle on a semi-steep incline/decline. I've noticed this stuck in stand-still traffic on a hill. Lifting my foot off the brake pedal and slowly move it over to depress the accelerator and I feel the brakes disengage as I give it slightly more gas. I believe this is similar to what some manual trans vehicles use to assist the driver in helping to engage the clutch on a hill AND this same system is used on the Hill Descent feature.

I've also noticed that my pads are very sticky & grippe when cold. I can see this system getting stuck a bit with cold pads, on a hilly driveway and wet out.

#10 · (Edited)
Correct, all part of the Hill Start and Descent Assist system/features.

Watchgeekldibari - I agree that these systems should disengage the brakes when applying enough gas pedel. If you find this is happening too often after being parked on a hill you probably should take it back to the dealer so they can check out the gas pedal sensor, programming or to apply the appropriate backout adjustments on the brake pads.

#12 ·
The Evoque does not have drum brakes inside the rear brake discs like other vehicles. Rather, they have little electric motors with reduction gear drives that literally screw the brake pads down against the brake discs when you engage the parking brake or select Park. This is why you feel the brake pedal drop an increment when you engage Park. It takes some getting used to. Can't wait to see how this system performs in the long run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.