Coolant purge and replace & oil change

This is a discussion on Coolant purge and replace & oil change within the Evoque Maintenance forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque Garage category; Hello, so looking to some maintenance on the 2014 Evoque. 1) has a coolant leak somewhere, having to top it off every month or two. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DEFENDER777
  • 1 Post By batgirl

Thread: Coolant purge and replace & oil change

Member #

Hello, so looking to some maintenance on the 2014 Evoque.

1) has a coolant leak somewhere, having to top it off every month or two. Wanted to purge and replace the gym dex-cool crap with Pink Pentafrost. Has anybody ever done this? My understanding is the capacity of the system is about 1.5 gallons.

2) oil change, any DIY people here and what do you use? OE Castrol or M1?

Also the car a is RR CPO, so should/can I just let LR deal with the coolant issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mlichner24; 12-16-2018 at 04:55 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I am also chasing a coolant leak somewhere. Seems to be up front near the engine block.

Member #
    I use Castrol Edge 5W30 Extended Performance. The Castrol Professional that you can't readily buy in the USA has the specific standard number that LR mentions in their manual. It is readily available in the UK, but not here. However if you look at the manuals for the company that actually designed, tested and built the engine (Ford), the specific standard they mention in their manual matches up to the Castrol Edge 5W30 Extended Performance that you can buy at Wal Mart. I doubt there is significant difference in the oil but I would say Ford knows quite a bit more about that engine than LR does.

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Exten.../dp/B00IPS3GMI

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    +1 I agree completely, and I use the exact Castrol oil you listed. You also need to use an oil filter designed for full synthetic oil, like a Fram XG3614.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by lemmy999 View Post
    I use Castrol Edge 5W30 Extended Performance. The Castrol Professional that you can't readily buy in the USA has the specific standard number that LR mentions in their manual. It is readily available in the UK, but not here. However if you look at the manuals for the company that actually designed, tested and built the engine (Ford), the specific standard they mention in their manual matches up to the Castrol Edge 5W30 Extended Performance that you can buy at Wal Mart. I doubt there is significant difference in the oil but I would say Ford knows quite a bit more about that engine than LR does.

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Exten.../dp/B00IPS3GMI
    Funny you mention that, I was at Wal-mart and was looking at that oil and figured to try it. Was going to use a mobile 1 filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    I have a 2012 Pure Plus with 80k and have had good luck with Red Line 5w-30. I switched when I could not find the right Castrol. I have always changed the oil at 7,500 mile intervals with a Mann filter.

I had a slow coolant leak and my shop replaced the heater hoses or tubes (not an easy job but some where to look). Right after, I experienced a great deal of coolant loss and it turned out to be solved when I replaced both the expansion bottle and the cap. The cap and bottle sealing faces had failed allowing coolant to escape through the overflow port in the bottle when hot. I have been using Pentafrost with no problems.

Hope this helps!
    mlichner24 likes this.

Member #
    [QUOTE=DEFENDER777;25608]I have a 2012 Pure Plus with 80k and have had good luck with Red Line 5w-30. I switched when I could not find the right Castrol. I have always changed the oil at 7,500 mile intervals with a Mann filter.

I had a slow coolant leak and my shop replaced the heater hoses or tubes (not an easy job but some where to look). Right after, I experienced a great deal of coolant loss and it turned out to be solved when I replaced both the expansion bottle and the cap. The cap and bottle sealing faces had failed allowing coolant to escape through the overflow port in the bottle when hot. I have been using Pentafrost with no problems.

The coolant is not GM dex-cool. It is ford coolant. That is what I use. As for the oil I have been using Amsoil 5w-30. Their extended line.
    mlichner24 likes this.

Member #
    I recommend LIQUI MOLY

Expensive and bit over kill but why not? Really you cant go wrong with any brand of oil as long as it's ACEA a3/b4 rated - simplified version, it tends to have better performance, as far as breakdown for longer life because its actually synthetic; especially under turbos. Also I would recommend getting a Pela oil Extractor, I have been using it for years with all my cars, it goes into the dipstick and you pump the oil out. Replacing the filter is a breeze.

I also have 13 Evoque, which had a slow leak, passed the pressure check then one day I had a puddle, turned out to be a crack in the radiator; I would take it the dealer it will be under warranty they will pressure test it for you. Its not uncommon in general though to loose a bit of coolant in the winter.

Member #
    [QUOTE=batgirl;25610]
    Quote Originally Posted by DEFENDER777 View Post
    I have a 2012 Pure Plus with 80k and have had good luck with Red Line 5w-30. I switched when I could not find the right Castrol. I have always changed the oil at 7,500 mile intervals with a Mann filter.

The coolant is not GM dex-cool. It is ford coolant. That is what I use. As for the oil I have been using Amsoil 5w-30. Their extended line.
    From what I have gathered the coolant they recommend in the manual is the Havoline XLC (Xtended Life) coolant which you can get at NAPA and is like the Dex-Cool coolant. It is an OAT (organic acid technology) with no silicates and phosphates which is waht DEX-Cool is.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/HCA2840A

This place sells LR coolant and it says "XLC Coolant Organic Acid Technology" on the label

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...9-MFG1250.aspx

Member #
    hey is castrol EDGE 5W30 makes any different ?

Ads