Static-like noise from sound system

This is a discussion on Static-like noise from sound system within the Evoque Maintenance forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque Garage category; Hello Fellow Evoque Owners I wanted to share an issue I have been having with 2012 base model 5-door Evoque I picked up in April ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #

Hello Fellow Evoque Owners

I wanted to share an issue I have been having with 2012 base model 5-door Evoque I picked up in April this year from an MA dealer: static-like crackling sounds are coming out of the speakers, mostly on very humid & wet days. I made an audio recording of it with my cell phone during one of those occurrences for my dealer and I am attaching it here as reference.

Some interesting things about this issue:
    1 - it's happened on occasions when both the engine and the audio system was OFF (i.e. pretty much as soon as I open the driver door)
    2 - on the day when I did the audio recording, I also noticed that the backup camera image had grainy streaks moving on it, something which I had never seen before

So far the dealership has performed only updates of the sound & navigation module software, telling me this might solve the problem, but acknowledging that it might not. And those updates have actually not resolved the issue.

It's an intermittent problem, one could say not a major problem right now, but I am concerned that it may develop into something more serious down the line, and I am pretty disappointed overall because I shelled out close to 50K for a new car which I was hoping to be absolutely worry-free (I've had other problems with it, including improper fit of a passenger door trim panel, steering wheel not mounted to its exact center position at the factory, etc.)

Anybody out there who has experienced similar issues ? Any suggestions would also be appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. # ADS
    Ads

Sid
    Member #
    I have been getting static from my speakers since the car was new. Mine occurs are dry days when traveling faster than 45mph.
    At first I thought there was something loose in the glove box or door or a leaf in the ducting. My troubleshooting determined it was static from the speakers. It's going in for the one year check up next week. Hopefully they have a fix for it.

Member #
    Hey Sid, sorry to hear you are having a static issue too ... It does sound like it might not be the same type as the one I am having: did you listen the mp3 files I provided to see if it did sound similar ? After the software updates failed to resolve the problem for me, my MA dealer has swapped the amplifier unit last week and I have been keeping my fingers crossed since then. I'm not convinced the amplifier is the culprit, but we haven't had any really wet days since the amplifier was replaced, so we'll see ... If the problem comes back on my side, my next step is to get in touch w/ LR Customer Service and start turning the heat up because I'm not going to get stuck with a car that's just a few months old and has a problem that has been going on since day 1 and cannot be fixed ...

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Sid
    Member #
    I listened to your post...mine is not that loud. I will try and get a recording the next time it happens.

Member #
    Is it the same sound pattern though ? There seem to be some rhythm to it in my case when the issue occurs ... One of the things I had hoped other readers on this forum might be able to provide were suggestions in terms what the origin of this might be ... I'm not an electrical or a sound engineer, but I would have been interested in hearing hypotheses from people who would have more knowledge or would have seen similar issues, maybe on different vehicles in the past ?

Member #
    Wow I just listened to your mp3, that is really bad! It almost sounds like a bad cable connector somewhere. Do you have anything plugged to your AUX or iPod jacks? Also is the sound coming from all speakers or just one?

Member #
    Thanks for taking the time to listen to the samples :-) Nothing is plugged in when the issue occurs and the crackles come form all the speakers as far as I can tell ... And yes it is pretty bad, but it happens just once in a while (again, wet days usually), and so far it's always stopped after some amount of time (5 to 20 minutes of driving). That's the big pain in the neck with this: I don't have a reliable way to reproduce the problem on demand ... So, any ideas, please feel free to chime in !

Member #
    Hello, I have my Evoque since February and I have the same static coming from my speakers when the sound system is on or off. I turned off the Bluetooth and it still happens. It is maddening. The dealer could not duplicate the sound . However I need to find someone who solved the problem.Thanks

Member #
    @kwarndt: sorry for the late reply, here is some info I can share.

1 - After the software update I had mentioned initially failed to cure the problem, the dealer replaced the amplifier back in January and that did not help either

2 - We then also started to get random issues with the electric windows on the driver's side (both front and rear windows would refuse to open, sometimes for a couple of days in a row, and then would start working again), so we brought the car in again, and they re-flashed the door modules software, and since then we haven't observed the issue again: it's only been about 6 weeks though, and I wouldn't even be sure that there is a real link between what they did last and the fact that the car has been trouble-free since then.

We almost never use the Bluetooth connection, but I haven't checked whether it is turned off in the settings right now. Like you, we've seen the issue happen both when the sound system is on or off (and sometimes this was triggered simply by opening a door with the car not even started yet).

Hope this helps, if you learn more on your side as you work with your dealer, please let us know !

Member #

Ditto

Unfortunately, our 2 week old 5 door Evoque has just returned from the dealer (having to have an oil leak repaired) with this same fault. I got into the car without turning the engine on, or any devices and the speaker crackled. Drove round for a bit to see if it would do it again and now it won't stop! Back to the dealers tomorrow, so will let you know how we get on ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads