Towing with an evoque

Towing with an evoque

This is a discussion on Towing with an evoque within the Evoque Performance forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque Garage category; For what it's worth, I purchased a 4x6 enclosed trailer to tow behind my Evoque 2 door Dynamic. Pulled a trailer about 400 miles with ...

Member #

Towing with an evoque

For what it's worth, I purchased a 4x6 enclosed trailer to tow behind my Evoque 2 door Dynamic. Pulled a trailer about 400 miles with absolutely no problems. At 70-75 MPH my MPG dropped from about 26 down to 19. Trailer weight made no differece, loaded or empty 19 MPG. I had a totally stock Range Rover receiver, wiring harness and hitch installed. I was impressed when I picked up the car and handed a nearly small brief case sized plastic box full of hitch goodies. The hitch/tounge itself, a 1 & 7/8s and a 2 inch quick change ball. Balls simply snap onto a shaft and a pin is easily rotated to switch them out. Also, there was a very substantial locking pin that locks the hitch into the receiver.
    All very nice but I'll give you the bad news first. I got to the trailer dealer only to find out that very nice locking pin can't be put into the hole because of the plastic molding around the hitch. Also, even if you could the darn pin is way to big for the hole.....good grief!!!! In my opinion that's disgusting engineering coming from an out fit like Land Rover. The good news is ,of course, the dealer had locking pins and was able to sell me one for about $30.
    Any how,some nice things happen when you hook it all up. First when you use your turn signal a little green trailer light, shaped like a little trailer, flashes in sequence with your turn signal lights. The light is just to the right of the right green turn signal in the speedometer. I'd suspect that same light may give you a warning if you have a light out in the trailer. Next, if you have the cameras you'll get a single line, if selected, in your back up camera helping you guide the the car to the trailer's hitch. Also, if you have the blind spot lane changing monitoring device it is disabled and your little yellow lights in the mirrors are on continuously. The cameras can also be used to keep an eye on the trailer during the tow if you like.
    One more thing. The Land Rover wiring harness is not compatible with LED lights. A piece of paper so stating came with the harness. Some said it was no big deal. However, I elected to not find out. I found an outfit, Diamond Cargo out of GA that uses all incandescent lighting. Leonard trailers use a mix of both. U-Haul has a mix, older trailers incadescent, newer LED. I'd wager the old ones are hard to find.
    All in all the pull was no problem. Performance with a 1100 lb. trailer behind me was still excellent even for a little four cylinder. Even with the short towing arm of the trailer the rear tailgate of the car cleared all trailer hardware when opened, namely the landing gear crank handle.. Trailer had a V nose, kept the dust off of the rear window too!!
    Last edited by Skywagon; 04-15-2012 at 07:24 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Thank you for the good information. I doubt I will ever tow with my Evoque I have a 1 ton dually to deal with those chores. Very interesting about the LED lights.

Thanks again.

2012 Dynamic 5 door, Fuji White and Santorini black top, Lunar interior Style 6 sparkle rims, Climate comfort, adaptive dynamic, Sat and HD radio
    2012 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLTRXSE Harley Davidson Roadglide White Gold Pearl and Starfire Black
    2013 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLHRSE5 Harley Davidson Road King an ultra-premium Diamond Dust, Obsidian and Palladium paint scheme, 110th Anniversary Edition.

Member #
    Folks,
    I just got back from the Land Rover dealer. Partially solved the problem. I did not notice, stupid me, a rubber ring on the Land Rover pin that if removed allows a sleeve to slide off the high tech Land Rover pin....so, obviously the diameter issue is solved. However, my two door Dynamic has the different plastic molding on the lower rear than the Pure so consequently I still can't get the Evoque pin in. They are advising Range Rover. Again, the good news is the problem can be solved with a shorter after market locking pin available at many places. Master Lock made mine.

Ads