Performance/Power limiters and mods
I've modded a Subaru WRX and Mini S before so have some understanding on squeezing hp out of a motor. Since there currently isn't an off the shelf option right now, let's start listing things that could hypothetically be done(and not spend a crap load of money) to increase the hp. Ford is supposedly putting out high 200's(270 I believe) and another 300+ power out of the same engine so it's possible. I'm just unsure of the limiters of LR's other parts.
1. Turbocharged vehicles could potentially see increases in hp via increase in boost. Not a very safe option unless you're exceptionally technical or have a tuner that make changes to the power/torque curves. This would be easiest since it's an ECU flash. I'm contacting the tuners I've used for the WRX to see if they'd be interested in attempting on my Evoque. I have to repeat this: Increasing boost by itself can be VERY DANGEROUS so carefully attempt this with a knowledgeable tuner. Frankly I have no idea if ECU access can even be done at this point in time.
2. Exhaust swap: A catback/turbo back system with larger downpipe has traditionally given the WRX more power(less exhaust restriction). I'm unsure however if this is the case with the RRE. Anyone know?
3. Cold air intake: To get the most out of these things, you usually need a tune. Off the shelf, these things do nothing and may cause your vehicle to run lean(too much air, not enough fuel). However, an exhaust overhaul plus CAI has boosted some vehicle's hp by 15-20%.(my stock WRX had dynoed at 211hp AWD. After exhaust swap, CAI and retune, it dynoed at 290hp. This is at the wheels, so we're talking about ~350 at the crank)
4. Bigger turbo: Pretty obvious but ain't cheap. This would entail a pretty large leap in modification. I don't see myself doing this but quite a few chaps have increased stock hp by 50-80% by doing number 3 and this.
5. Injector swap: Ability to deliver more fuel.
6. Intercooler swap: This would need a specific manufacturer to fit the RRE so it's not something we can technically attempt right away.
-I've read that the Aisin transmissions on the RRE isn't known to handle much more than 290hp. Increasing power beyond that point has led to early failures.
Anyone else wanna toss more ideas/comments? Like I said, I'm not too familiar with the RR systems so if you do, correct my Subaru WRX/Mini S assumptions.
Last edited by Izzy; 09-01-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Reason: Grammar :X
09-01-2012 08:39 AM
Hamman has ECU flashes but not for the US model AFAIK.
All the exhausts I've seen are either for the diesel model, or have a center exit exhaust which requires a new bumper. I suppose you could go custom and delete the secondary cat's but I'm not sure how it would sound. The WRX sounds great because of the boxer engine, which the Evoque doesn't have. I don't want my evoque to sound like a civic.
An Intake may sound good, maybe if we can hear the turbo/bov that may be better, it may not give much power on its own but will sound good. Upgrading the intake alone shouldn't make you go lean most turbo cars run a little rich from the factory anyway as a precaution I'm sure the evoque will be fine given that its not exactly a super high HP application, as long as the intake tubing and size stay the same you shouldnt run into any issues with the MAF.
I wouldn't do a bigger turbo without being able to tune it, and I'd bet we's have to do injectors at the same time, does anyone even make plug and play injectors for the evoque?
Yes the tranny is an unknown variable.
I would have to say you could do everything you did to a WRX to an evoque, BUT there isn't the vender support yet and with the limited number and the usual moder doesnt spend this kind of money to make it faster I don't see it happening. That being said if the parts were availble I would definetly be looking into them. I to am a WRX owner and currently have a stage 2 2011 wrx that keeps my mod bug busy at the moment so thats probably the main reason I'm not to upset there isnt a cobb accessport or downpipe available yet. I would love to see a moded RRE smoke an SRT8 Jeep sometime in the future haha doubtful but you never know
There is an aftermarket exhaust available at this time for the Evoque that doesn't require bumper modification and mentioned here in an earlier thread I posted...
The distributor contacted me to purchase one and be the guinea pig but I didn't feel comfortable purchasing an exhaust system without hearing the tone and the option to return.
The only thing holding me back from going apeshit experimental on the performance mods is the fact that no tuner in my area is capable of remapping the ECU(or decline to do so at this moment). Most of the changes without a remap will be minimal at best. On the good news front, Kahn has a remap that I'm trying to see if they'll do off-the-shelf. Exhaust plus remap gained 36 hp(so north of 270 at the cranks). I swear I saw someone posted 300hp tuned but I can't find it(it involved a larger turbo though).
Why is the link censored? I hate forums that censor other forums, Its pretty childish.
I think once the Focus ST is out and tuners work with the engine you'll see some tunes for the Evoque. The problem is your average Evoque buyer isn't looking at performance modifications. I currently have a tuned 08 STI and the Evoque is actually shorter than my hatchback. It's a lot taller and somewhat wider as well as heavier but it surprised me that it's so similar in size.
For tuners to show much interest there needs to be sufficient sales and demand and I'm not sure if the Evoque will have it. What LR needs to do is put the supercharged V-6 in an Evoque sport.
I believe the Evoque R that LR is working on(slated to release next year) is supposedly a 270hp+ ecoboost 2.0 or a 290hp v6. I'm hoping for the forner.