K&N Air Filter

K&N Air Filter

This is a discussion on K&N Air Filter within the Evoque Performance forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque Garage category; Has anyone purchase the K&N air filter for the Si4? Any better response from your SOTP? I had one in my W211 E500 and it ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wrenchbender412i

Thread: K&N Air Filter

Member #

K&N Air Filter

Has anyone purchase the K&N air filter for the Si4? Any better response from your SOTP? I had one in my W211 E500 and it fouled up my MAF but I have 2 conical K&N on my jag right now and it's running fine. I think the key is to wipe down the excess oil when it comes from factory so the oil doesn't flow to the MAF and stick to the sensor. I ordered one for the Evoque and waiting for it to arrive. Just seeing if anyone else have one on their Evoque and your thoughts.
    Last edited by LIONHEAD; 12-18-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    '12 Evoque (Prestige):Blacked out trim,Painted front and rear U Bar,Painted center console,black letters,wheels,exhaust tips,lip spoiler,roof rails/'08 Jaguar XKR (V8 SC): Mods/'06 MB SL65 (V12 Twin Turbo)(stock 604HP/738TQ)/'12 MB GL450/'10 E350 4matic: http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps19361479.jpg
    My SL65 AMG and XKR in Friend's Vid: http://youtu.be/0cyA55UTcRI

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Do not use these things. They don't filter air worth a damn, despite the claims. A clean air filter with each oil change is what the Volvo and Porsche turbo enthusiasts recommend. You can use a K&N on track day to keep birds and wildlife out of your engine, but that's it.
    malharden likes this.

Member #
    Air filters can actually improve filtration after driving on them for 500 to 1000 miles once a light layer of dirt cakes on to the filter. The K&N products work well and dont need to be cleaned that often. I have installed them professionally on vehicles for the last 20+ years in everything from pro street drag cars to grocery getters. The drag cars got cleaned more than needed to get max air flow and keep large debris from entering the intake. The grocery getters got filters cleaned between 15k to 40k and never had any problems until Mass Air Flow senors and Electonic Throttles (drive by wire) hit the scene. Then it became more important for us as technicians to pay attention to how much oil we put on the filter after cleaning it. A carb wasnt affected by over oiling and a cable operated throttle body might collect a little more dirt with some oil sticking to it but a good tehnician was looking at that when the car came in for regular service and could easily clean it with a few minutes work. The customer would never notice any symptoms and all was well. Once the Mass Air Flow sensors hit the stage we had to consider how much oil would get sucked through and coat the sensor, thereby insulating the sensor from the air flow with that same caking affect that would actually filter the air. You see, the oil would cause dirt to stick to the oil and that would insulate the sensor which would change its output signal to the ECM. The ECM couldnt tell it was caked with dirt and adjust fuel incorrectly. The Electronic Throttle Bodies could stick and cause lots of drivability symptoms and failure codes which we wont get into here. So, the oil works very well at attracting dirt but we shouldnt be using the moron method. You know, the more i put on the better it works......wrong! Oiled properly they dont suck so much oil downstream that it becomes a problem. Sorry to all the techs that wanted to be just mechanics of the past and load them up with oil....you are behind the times and need to reevaluate your methods. Kudos to the modern, well trained techs that understand the effects over oiling the filter will have! Get it? OVER OILING is the cause, not the well designed product. So use a K&N filter but OIL IT CORRECTLY and look into your intake after 2500 miles. New filters are oiled correctly at the factory but you should still recheck the intake downstream of the filter after 2500 miles. Is there a lot of oil after the filter? If so, you used the moron method. Clean it out, dont reoil it and recheck in 2500 miles. Still more oil? Repeat. No oil, youre good to go! Read this article from start o finish and learn a little more about filters: http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-traile...ir-filtration/
    Last edited by BaroqueEvoque; 12-22-2012 at 10:23 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    So I've had it in for a week now but only driven it 3-4 times since. So far so good and no codes or rough idle. I do feel a slight better response in throttle. I've had the K&N Filter on my Corvette's Vortex air induction kit for 4 years and had no problems. I have the K&N conical filters on my Jag XKR right now for 1.5 years now and have no problems. My buddy has had the K&N filters with smooth tubes kit on his Viper for 5 years now and no problem. Only problem I've had was again on my '04 Mercedes E500. The funny thing was my friend who owned a Corvette shop borrowed my car after installing the K&N filter a few days earlier and he noticed hesitation and rough idle. He opened the filter box and saw the red oil stuck on the MAF screen (preoiled from factory). Brought it to the dealer and they said the MAF failed and needed a new one. I think the Mercedes MAFs are more sensitive and so I switched to Green Filter and had no problems before I sold it.

You're right on the Porsche.....I talked to my buddy who owns a 997TT and he said the forum guys said there is really no gains with the KN Filters on the dyno. I remember reading the R8 guys installing hiflo filters on their V10 and gained 21HP to the flywheel on the dyno. I think it all depends on the car as I know the Viper and Vette guys have shown HP gains. I would think the more benefits would be during higher speeds as more of a ram air effect during higher speeds.
    '12 Evoque (Prestige):Blacked out trim,Painted front and rear U Bar,Painted center console,black letters,wheels,exhaust tips,lip spoiler,roof rails/'08 Jaguar XKR (V8 SC): Mods/'06 MB SL65 (V12 Twin Turbo)(stock 604HP/738TQ)/'12 MB GL450/'10 E350 4matic: http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps19361479.jpg
    My SL65 AMG and XKR in Friend's Vid: http://youtu.be/0cyA55UTcRI

Member #
    Sometimes you can clean the oil fom the sensor with Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner and they will work again. Sometimes they wont. Its always worth trying and not vey hard to do. Remove sensor. Hold sensor with tip of sensor pointing down so cleaner will drip off of sensor and not go into it. Spray cold sensor with cleaner until it is clean. Clear codes, reinstall and test drive.

Ads