Seriously considering buying an Evoque but have some concerns... please help!

This is a discussion on Seriously considering buying an Evoque but have some concerns... please help! within the Evoque Purchasing forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Like many on this forum, it was instant love for me when I first saw the Evoque. It's a uniquely beautiful car. The test drive ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Like many on this forum, it was instant love for me when I first saw the Evoque. It's a uniquely beautiful car. The test drive confirmed that. It's a great joy to drive and sitting in the driver's seat feels like sitting in a library in a formal mansion.

The first yellow flag was seeing that a barely new 2012 Evoque (3K miles) was sitting in the dealership lot. When I asked about that, I was told it was probably a couple with kids who decided the coupe was just not right for the family and returned it and got the 4 door. I was even told it was a lease so easier to switch out. Even though that seemed odd, I don't have kids and 85% of my driving is commuting on a turnpike by myself, so that's OK with me.

My second flag was reading this forum and hearing about the Reduced Performance issue in rainy weather. That's concerning to a commuter in Massachusetts where it rains frequently and suddenly. Not like I can plan to take the other car on rainy days.

My third flag was reading a post from a poster upset because she has this problem and LR is giving her grief and not taking the car back even though she has read that others were able to return the car after having the problem and not getting resolution.

THAT is a better explanation for returning a leased car after only two months.

Sure, I could just a buy a new vehicle, but not knowing that there's a fix for this problem... driving in the rain... always wondering. I need some reassurance that it's only a few in the many. I did a quick check for recalls and found nothing on that issue (bad brakes and badly installed windshields tho).

I want this car really badly. I'd almost say I'm in love but... she has "history."

Thanks for your read.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    OK, I'm an ex-Vermonter and know the kind of crap God can heave at you...

1) If you go here Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) look to the right and drill down you will see the "going into limp home mode" is now a service bulletin. So, sounds like they are on the verge of a recall to sort.

2) The Coup is the more perfect form of the Evoque but is far less useful than the 5 door. I wanted a coup, but 5 door was best. Do not know why that car is sitting on the lot.

3) I presume if you have a lemon law in Mass (like we have in California) you just drive up, kick the dealer in the balls and leave the keys.

But seriously, I can only speak from personal experience. Our 2013 Evoque is our 8th LR product and we have had amazing luck with them. My Big Range (replaced by Evoque) is ten years old with 97k miles and has only let me down once. My wife's current Sport has been nearly as great. But we also have a great dealer. V. important. Can not over-state.

The 2013 MY is the best -- better Nav, should come with all software updates, etc. And, if you get the Dynamic, you can get MagneRide, which really turns it into a sports sedan. I love mine. But... it's brand new.

Member #
    I am really enjoying mine. 2013 Dynamic. Has all options and I really like the car. My only complaint is mirrors are huge creating a need to get use to blind spot on turns. Otherwise so far it is a blast. Lots of people asking about it and compliments. You only live once

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    My wife has a 2012 5 door with 11,000 miles and zero issues. I have received the paperwork for the limp Mode recall, so that issue is going to be resolved. We have never experienced any issues while driving in the rain.<br><br>With two kids the 5 door is a must. <br><br>I am sure you can visit any high end dealership and see vehicles with only a few thousand miles on them porsche, bmw and so on. <br><br>I purchased a brand new 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ and it was back at the dealership with the transmision sitting on the floor after 3,000 miles. It is a crap shoot with any brand you buy, but you will always want the Evoque....<br><br>If you consider 2012 being the first year for the Evoque they have had very little issues for a first year model.<br><br>Good Luck....<br>

Member #
    I live in Boston and I currently have a 2012 Dynamic 5 door with 16,000 miles. This car has not once let me down or had any major issues, I commute to Marlborough 2 days a week (100 mile roundtrip), have been to the cape, VT, ME, upstate NY and I can say it's a blast. I have also now been through 2 winters, several rain storms (never had limp mode happen) and even with the 20" wheels / summer tires the car has been comparable to my previous Toyota 4Runner. I can honestly say it's the best car I've ever owned, great performance, amazing stereo system and you will get compliments on a regular basis.

Member #
    Fuck you... I used to live in Vermont where this car would be a star. Credit its flexibility, it's also a star in Los Angeles traffic.

Member #
    26,000 miles over 10 months on mine-Still love it, still get compliments and smiles, and I only had one "limp mode" incident- shut down at side of road and started back up like nothing had happened. I debated a lot during the 3.5 month wait for mine. I should have bought it and never had a doubt. My last car was the best car I had owned at the time---Don't miss it at all! The best of all things for someone who does not require a large SUV.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    2012 Fuji White Evoque Prestige- Tan/Ivory/Espresso Interior, Sport Pedals and Sport Style Foot Rest, Mud Flaps, Silver Rails, OEM Ski Rack and Bike Rack , Climate Package, Style 6 wheels with Hankook tires in summer, Style 5 wheels with Blizzak tires for the frozen Minnesota tundra in winter- Set for Adventure in Style!

Member #
    I am going to buy an Evoque this year. However given that I want one that is not on the showroom floor (they all seem to be in white, black or Red here in California), I am going to have to order it, which will be a delay of 90-120 days at my last query.
    My question is, would the consensus be to wait until Fall to see what the 2014 models bring?

Member #
    2014 is supposed to (maybe?) bring the 9 speed tranny. Search around about it, I think it's not a performance thing, but something to help get better miles. And, I think I read the first three gears may be strickly for off-road? Which could be cool.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
    2014 is supposed to (maybe?) bring the 9 speed tranny. Search around about it, I think it's not a performance thing, but something to help get better miles. And, I think I read the first three gears may be strickly for off-road? Which could be cool.
    I was wondering about that - but was unsure if it would be a 2014 thing or not. I would much rather be ordering it now and driving it in the Fall, rather than ordering in the Fall what may be an untested product... But I would kick myself if it was something pretty cool like that :-)
    Having said that, I do most of my off-road driving in Death Valley, and if James May can drive the current version there...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads