Considering this sexy SUV

This is a discussion on Considering this sexy SUV within the Evoque Purchasing forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Yes, as the title states, I've been doing some due diligence on the Evoque and would appreciate any feedback/help you good people could give me. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Yes, as the title states, I've been doing some due diligence on the Evoque and would appreciate any feedback/help you good people could give me. It's almost a case of love at first sight with the Evoque, as I'm sure a lot of you would nod your heads in agreement, but I don't want to be used and abused and left with a bad taste in my mouth and regret in my stomach. So I'm approaching this beauty with a lot of trepidation and caution.

I'm located in Maryland, so there are quite a few dealers within driving range, not to mention close proximity to other dealers in other states, has anyone had any success in price negotiation or having dealerships compete for your money? Do you feel they're more willing to work with you now on invoice price, and is there a better time in the year to buy (end of year coming up)?

Looking at the 5dr Pure model, but wondering about your thoughts on the upgraded Meridian stereo and if it's worth it? Is that a part of the tech package or can it be installed on its own without all the other bells and whistles? Don't really need 360 camera or park assist, but the sound system would be a nice amenity. Although I'm addicted to keyless entry now, and it sucks that it's not standard. It's hard to think about pulling out my keys now, my god, we've gotten so lazy. But it's a nice convenience. Can any of these be ordered by themselves or do you need it all wrapped in a package?

So, a 5dr Pure prestige model, Fuji white, almond/espresso interior, 19" wheels are fine. That's what I'm thinking.

Of course, my biggest fear is reliability issues and the driving in the rain engine fiasco which is quite troubling. I went for a test drive the other week (albeit a very, very quick test drive. Felt like we pulled out the dealer, strolled around the block and pulled back in), and when I was exiting the vehicle, the exterior door handle casing fell off. The salesman laughed it off, saying it was an easy fix and that the clips had broken off, but kind of speaks about build quality. The back seats are a little tight, I know, I know, it's a small suv, but I'd hate to be back there for an extended period of time.

The drive was nice, but did notice sometimes the tranny searching for a gear in lower speeds. I need to give it another go and hopefully a longer drive to get a better feel for it, but I'm still very much intrigued with it. The more I read about it, the more I look at pics, the more I want one. I feel like a kid wanting Santa to bring me my favorite present for Xmas.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I feel that I'm in the same position. I was going to purchase a 2012 coupe dynamic but instead will wait for a 2013. A while back I took a 5dr pure for a test drive because the dealer only had one dynamic and it was on the showroom floor. A few months later I took a 5dr dynamic and coupe dynamic for a test drive. My saleman said they first have to drive the vehicle off the lot to check it out before the customer gets behind the wheel. As he drove off the lot the 5dr dynamic won't shift out of first gear. He thought it was in sport mode but it wasn't, after stopping and moving the gear selector back and forth it then shifted gears after he started driving again. It makes me a little worried about the reliability especially that the closest dealer is over an hour away from where I live. I really do like the Evoque and want to purchase a coupe dynamic. One other reason I want to wait for a 2013 is because KBB is showing the Evoque could lose up to 41% of it's value in the first year. Even if you get a 2012 at invoice price I'm not sure if it would be worth it when the 2013's will be out soon.

Member #
    Yes, that's quite disconcerting.
    The coupe's are a tad bit too small and restricting, especially if you have a family.
    Might be wise to wait for the '13's to come out.

Member #
    Maybe I am mistaken, but I didn't think there's a 2013 Evoque coming to the US this year since it was marketed as a new 2012 vehicle model. The only 2013 model I've heard/seen about is Victoria Beckham edition which only ~200 are made and cost upwards of $90K+. I believe Europe might have a diesel model and have been testing out a convertible type.

I just purchased my 5dr Pure Premium last week and I love it. I wasn't sure if I wanted a car with high monthly payments yet but now I'm so glad I did. Like you, I was impressed with the Evoque once the spy shots came out back in 2010 while I was in school and continued to admire it when looking around for a new vehicle and test driving different models.

With the Pure Premium package ($4K) it comes with the cameras, upgraded sound system, xenon lights, keyless entry/start, voice control, navigation. I skipped out on the $2500 20" tires - I'll save that upgrade for next time . I think you can save money by adding the premium package to your Pure vs paying for the Prestige model (differences in leathers, trim options, etc). Check it out and play with it online. I kept changing stuff online on the the build it page and then looked at what models were available at my local dealer and nearby. Also, I'm only leasing mine since I live about 2mi from work, it takes me about 6mon to do 3000mi. Maybe if you aren't completely sure about it, but love it so much, leasing may be a good option for you.

Hope I helped.

Member #
    There will be a 2013 Evoque(I believe some dealerships already have info on them). I'll go through my experience as it seems it might answer some of OP's questions or concerns:

Like you, I fell for the Evoque's looks first and foremost. The ad with 2 Evoque(s) at NY's Time Square was definitely a head turner. However I never really looked at one(since I didn't have an immediate need of a new vehicle). The time did come last month and I decided to go for a test drive. Biggest concern going in was 240 hp(at the cranks) for a ~3600lb vehicle is not alot. And we're talking about peak hp(and being AWD, there's a typical loss of 20-40% at wheels so really if you dyno-ed the vehicle, it would be pulling sub 200hp). At the test drive, I realized that LR should have made the Sports mode regular. The shift points for the Aisin transmission is dismal to say the least. I have no doubt they did this to achieve higher mpg ratings(which is sort of fraudulent IMO but that's another story). So that searching for a gear is an issue at any speed. You'll notice it most when you're cruising at ~1200-1400 rpms(regardless of speed) and when slowing down, the transmission stays at the same gear and granny gears it down to 1100rpms before shifting. Try to accelerate at that point and it'll produce a lag of about 2-3 seconds before downshifting big time(giving an abrupt acceleration). Only resolution is an ECU remap to get different shift points. The hp number might be low(and personally a tad low for my taste) but it's sufficient. With a claimed time of 7.1 secs for 0-60, it's respectable.

I've not had the "driving in the rain" issue yet and I've been in a few heavy downpours. Might be just lucky and I jinxed myself but who knows. Post 2008 models for J/LR reliability seems to be improving(ever since Tata Motors purchased the brand) and I like the direction that Tata motors is going with the brand(I keep an eye on the plans for a specific make before buying one of their models)

As for the options, I would definitely recommend the premium package. The keyless entry and adaptive Xenons(HUGE must) are sufficient reasons to get it. The surround sound is just icing on the cake(I'm not an audiophile but am impressed with the sound system). For me, it came down to this reasoning: I wanted a luxury vehicle that has the ability to carry enough but not HUGE(we have a large SUV already at the house), looks good and ability to personalize(I've done a few things to it already).

Member #
    Thanks, Izzy, I'm leaning more toward the premium package everyday. If you're spending this much already, you might as well get what you want and be happy rather than regretting it later.
    Now, any one have any pointers or good advise on negotiating the best price?
    Don't want to deal with a lease, I'd rather own.
    The dealer closest to me said that if they had to tow the car that matched my specs from another dealer, it would affect the bottom line (depending on the distance of towing), which I can understand. Would it be better off just ordering one and waiting 5-6 months, or working a deal with the dealer that actually has the style (5dr Pure Fuji white / almond interior / Premium package) in inventory?

Member #
    If you can find one in stock, negotiate. Tell them an evoque depreciates by ~9 grand in the first year(edmunds website print out) and it is already year end. Secondly bring print outs of eBay evoques on sale. There's one for ~47500 ASKING(and that's before you negotiate). It's slightly used(1200 miles) but still a 2012. Using these 2 points, I got mine for about 4 grand off sticker.

Member #
    I am getting a 2013 Prestige for $1250 under MSRP, with my calculations this years MSRP will be 2K less than 2012, so really getting the Evoque for $3250 less I so hope I am right on my calculations for my wallets sake

Member #
    I thought the $2k price drop was only on the Pure (base model), which will be a new trim. Did they drop the price on the other trims as well? According to MotorTrend the price will be going up $200 for the Dynamic and Prestige.

2013 Range Rover Evoque Introduces New Pure Trim, Price Drops By $2000 - WOT on Motor Trend

Member #
    Let's be clear, the $2000 price drop does NOT include a navigation system nor the glass panorama roof.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads