Switch from 18 inch wheels to 17 inch wheels to improve ride quality?

This is a discussion on Switch from 18 inch wheels to 17 inch wheels to improve ride quality? within the Evoque Wheels & Tires forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque Garage category; Having lived with my car for a few months now I am very disappointed in the ride quality of my 2014 9 speed auto Pure ...

Member #

Having lived with my car for a few months now I am very disappointed in the ride quality of my 2014 9 speed auto Pure Tech Evoque 5d on the standard 18 inch wheels particularly on the patched and potholed city streets of my native Bristol (UK). My recent switch from the standard fit 'all season' Pirellis to my 'Continental Winter Contacts' has not made much difference (I had hoped the softer rubber of the winter tyres might help but if anything the ride is marginally worse still on the winter tyres). I would have loved to have specced 'MagnaRide' but it was not available with the Pure/Pure Tech in UK.

I have noticed that many European spec Evoques (but not UK) come with 17 inch wheels as standard (and consequent deeper section tyres) and I am investigating purchasing a set of these wheels and tyres to try and fix the problem.

I've read on at least one Evoque forum of people switching from 20 inch wheels to 18 inches and getting a benefit so I thought there might be some benefit in going for the 17 inch wheels.

Has anyone had an experience of the difference between 17 and 18 inch wheels or got any other help or advice?

Regards

Gary Davis

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    In the US 19 inch is the standard wheel on the pure plus. Very disappointed with the Continental's from the factory. Can't say on the winter tires sense I live in SE Texas. When I switched to Yokohama there was an immediate improvement. If you can stick it out on your current winter set you might try a different all season before purchasing new wheels. The bigger rims just look better. Smaller rims offset with taller sidewalls may be cushioning in a straight line , but will flex more in the turns...
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Although this might sound trivial, have you checked your tire pressure to insure it is set to the recommended pressure. My experience in the U.S., is that dealers, and most tire shops want
    to over inflate the tires. This is the most common reason for a harsh ride complaint. Looking at a 2014 owners manual at the Topix website, correct tire pressure for the 18 inch tires is
    Front: 35 PSI; Rear: 30PSI. You should be able to confirm this by looking at the door jam sticker on the driver's side door.

Of course, the other thing is, that ride comfort is very "subjective". One man's harsh, is another man's just right, or sporty feel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Hi R^2

It's not a trivial point, it's a very good one, but yes I did check already the day after the winter tyres were fitted (and after the car had cooled down overnight). I took the pressures down from 40 PSI to 35 PSI at the front and from 35 PSI to 30 PSI at the back. The problem still persisted so I posted the question on the blog.

It seems that dealers and tyre fitters in the UK are the same as in the US and probably the world over!

Note your other point to, ride is very subjective

Thanks anyway for your comment, if I hadn't already checked it could have been a very inexpensive solution to my issue!

Regards

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Rsquared View Post
    Although this might sound trivial, have you checked your tire pressure to insure it is set to the recommended pressure. My experience in the U.S., is that dealers, and most tire shops want
    to over inflate the tires. This is the most common reason for a harsh ride complaint. Looking at a 2014 owners manual at the Topix website, correct tire pressure for the 18 inch tires is
    Front: 35 PSI; Rear: 30PSI. You should be able to confirm this by looking at the door jam sticker on the driver's side door.

Of course, the other thing is, that ride comfort is very "subjective". One man's harsh, is another man's just right, or sporty feel.

Member #
    Thanks Rovingvic

Your points noted I'm sure different tyre makes do have different comfort and it's definitely an idea. Can you give me the exact model of the Yokohama tires you chose?

Regards

Gary

Member #
    Yokohama YK580. I replaced the stock size 235/55/19 with a 255/50/19, which offers a little better rim protection.
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Member #
    Thanks Rovingvic

Member #
    Don't know why they just don't offer MagnaRide as an option on all models. I had a C6 Corvette with run-flats that everyone on the Vette forum complained about as being far too rough -- except those of us with MagnaRide. Have it on my Dynamic and it's great.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
    Don't know why they just don't offer MagnaRide as an option on all models. I had a C6 Corvette with run-flats that everyone on the Vette forum complained about as being far too rough -- except those of us with MagnaRide. Have it on my Dynamic and it's great.
    Thanks Scrannel

I agree completely, I double checked before ordering and it's not available on the Pure or Pure Tech in the UK. I would have definitely opted for it if it had been available.

Many of the German brands (e.g. Audi and BMW) permit almost any option to be ordered with any trim level. For example adjustable dampers are available with any model in the BMW x3 range and sport versions of Audi cars often let you delete the sports suspension (at no extra cost).

Regards

Gary

Ads