New member from San Diego

This is a discussion on New member from San Diego within the Introductions forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque category; Hi all, New here. Lurked for a while and decided to register since it appears an Evoque will be our next vehicle. Not set in ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New member from San Diego

Member #

Hi all,

New here. Lurked for a while and decided to register since it appears an Evoque will be our next vehicle. Not set in stone but at the top of the list at the moment.

While looking for something to replace our 2-door Civic, we've run the gamut of 4 door sedans like the Fusion, Altima etc to smaller SUV's like the Escape and Cherokee. Since our kids are getting bigger we have to have a 4 door and I was looking for something "cool". Or at least more cool than the Civic. Have even considered the Audi S3 that's coming out in a few weeks.

I keep coming back to an SUV of some sort- or at least something that we could take off-road (or at least places we wouldn't take our minivan). The Evoque seems to check all of our boxes.

LR San Diego is around the corner from my office so I went over yesterday to look at an Evoque up close and personal. They brought around a Dynamic to test drive. Too $$$ for what we want to spend, but the sales guys tend to bring out the nicer ones when they are trying to sell you a car. I'll end up with a Pure Plus or Premium (do they still make that model or has it been replaced by the Prestige?)

It would take more much more time in a car to get a really good feel for it, but I liked the way it drove. Good power, seats etc. Much different than the Discovery I drove way back when.

There seems to be an abundance of grey, white and black ones, but I'm thinking Zanzibar, Loire Blue or Aintree would be my choices. Have to see them in person to know for sure. They have a Loire blue Pure Plus coming in a few days so I'll wander by when they give me a call.

Well, that's the official DVFlyer intro.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    If you haven't considered, don't rule out a demo. Sales people want to sell and don't want to be embarrassed so all the bugs, rattles, etc. have been sorted. You can get pretty good discounts on demos and the dealers want to move them.

Happy hunting!
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Member #
    Thanks. Yes, I considered a Demo. May have been a post of yours that pointed me to that option. One of the dealers here has a 2013 demo, but I'm hoping for a 2014+. Will keep looking for sure.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Hi again....

Purchased a 2014 Zanzibar Pure Premium last Friday. Really like it so far. The transmission will take a bit to get used to. With 9 gears, it always seems to be working.

Only issue so far is a "Gearbox Fault" on the way home last night. While driving in traffic I used the paddles to shift down to slow for traffic. Vehicle kind of got a mind of it's own trying to cope with it. Held the right paddle to get it back into drive and it stumbled and displayed the gearbox fault message. Pulled over and turned the car off and on and the message cleared. I'll be talking with the dealer this morning to talk about what they think.

Pictures soon.

Member #
    Congratulations on the new purchase!!!
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Member #
    Dealer has been looking at the car yesterday and today. LR told them to check the connections. Connections looked fine so they are replacing the transmission....

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DVFlyer View Post
    Dealer has been looking at the car yesterday and today. LR told them to check the connections. Connections looked fine so they are replacing the transmission....
    Wow, transmission replacement? From what I've read, that will take a while. I had a gearbox fault about two weeks after taking delivery of 2014 Pure Premium. I brought it in and they checked everything, and re-downloaded the software. Took one night, and hasn't happened again. I got to drive a Jag XF as a loaner, kind of nice, but I prefer my Evoque. Good luck with your gearbox, and keep us posted.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by markdartj View Post
    Wow, transmission replacement? From what I've read, that will take a while. I had a gearbox fault about two weeks after taking delivery of 2014 Pure Premium. I brought it in and they checked everything, and re-downloaded the software. Took one night, and hasn't happened again. I got to drive a Jag XF as a loaner, kind of nice, but I prefer my Evoque. Good luck with your gearbox, and keep us posted.
    What was the circumstances behind the fault you experienced?

Ya, they said they are unsure of the ETA but will know more after they talk to LR today. Could be 2 days, could be 2 weeks. I have an Evoque Dynamic as a loaner so I'm ok. Wish I was driving the car I paid for though....

Member #
    @DVFlyer, I was pulling up to a parking space, intending to back into it, when I shifted to Reverse, it jumped to Park and the gearbox fault light came on. The shifter knob was locked in P. I couldn't turn it, even though it remained exposed. I was stuck there blocking an entrance to an alley. I called LR immediately and the service tech said to shut the car down, wait a few moments, then start it up again, which I did, then it worked and I was able to park properly. He said to bring it in to have it looked at. I had to cancel a trip I had planned for the weekend. The closest LR dealership and service is about sixty miles away from where I live, so it's kind of a chore to "bring it in". It hasn't happened since, knock on wood, but the tech said if it does happen, do the same thing. He said it wouldn't be necessary to bring it in again, unless the re-boot doesn't work. Great. Now we have cars that go "blue screen" on us!
    bangsters likes this.

Member #
    Thanks Mark. Must have been a stressful event. Had a similar experience with a 1998 Corvette I purchased new. Had to turn that car back in as a lemon.

In my opinion, I'd bring it in, if only to document the error. In the event it continues to happen, having paperwork in the computer is better than trying to prove you spoke to someone at the dealer over the phone. Or perhaps you can get them to document in writing that you were instructed to turn your car off and on next time it dies on the street.

FWIW- Transmission should be here tomorrow (was told "Monday or Tuesday"). Tomorrow marks one week in the shop.
    Last edited by DVFlyer; 08-18-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads