Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer

This is a discussion on Potential Buyer within the Introductions forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque category; Hello, will try to keep short but need advice. Love Range Rovers but understand short comings. My daughter is turning 18 for her senior year ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sentine1

Thread: Potential Buyer

Member #

Potential Buyer

Hello, will try to keep short but need advice. Love Range Rovers but understand short comings. My daughter is turning 18 for her senior year if high school. She is very conservative and safe driver and not overly outgoing. I want to buy her a new car for senior year that will last through college and then for another 4 plus after she can depend on and afford to take care of herself.
    I know a new hybrid Lexus nx300 h would be the practical choice, but want to get her something that may be less practical than what she normally does. While at college I don’t want to have to worry about repairs and her taking in to shop. I want safety amd dependability for her and us since not close to home soon. Whatever I buy her will have a warranty so I know the big stuff covered but don’t her bothered by annoying issues.

Any thoughts. Every desicion I usually make is practical. Trying to avoid that this time, but not sure I can. We just rented a Range Rover Sport to drive up west coast and thoroughly enjoyed it amd felt safe and less than ideal road conditions.

I have been researching for months.
    Thanks for indulging me on my indesiveness.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Welcome to the forum!

Lucky girl for you to be looking at upscale vehicles for her to drive while at collage. Before buying a Range Rover for her, I would check to see how close a Range Rover dealer would be to where she is going to school. If one is close, it would then be convenient for her to drop it off and get a loaner while any issues are fixed. The nearest dealer to me in an hour away, so wouldn't be practical for a student to get any issues fixed.

The other advantage of an Evoque, it's small, and might be the right size for her uses, as apposed to a full sized RR, or other SUV.

Just my thoughts. Let us know what you decide.

Member #
    Thanks for the feedback! Her short list of schools have dealerships nearby, so that should not be an issue for warranty work and basic scheduled maintenace.
    I am probably paranoid but having owned 2 used RRs and reading the different reviews , I worry about getting a car with issues that can’t be resolved or are just annoying and not becoming of a car of this price. I understand most people who don’t have issues never post that and you just read negatives. I guess my real questions is , are most people who buy Evoques new, pleased for the long term. I don’t want her making numerous trips for pesky issues, even if under warranty. I am choosing the HSE model because of all the safety features which is my main reason for buying. The second reason is for dependability but with a cool car factor. My wife and I have Land Cruiser amd almost never to to dealership except for standard maintenace. Thanks again , I appreciate the honest opinion of owners. James

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    We have a MY13 Evoque Coupe purchased new. We have had zero issues in the 5 years 4 months we have had it. But... to be honest, it is a garage queen/grocery getter. Has only 10,000 miles in that time, so not a daily driver. There is a post by Dogscout on 5-22-18 about his MY12 Evoqoue turning 100,000 relatively trouble free miles. Others added similar comments to his initial post.

I would say to definitely stay away from a diesel model. The majority of the folks on the UK Evoque forum have diesel models, and the new EU6 pollution standards, are causing major oil dilution problems. This is true for other marque's diesel engines as well.

Have also owned Toyotas over the years and wouldn't expect you to have much trouble with a Land Crusier

Member #
    I'll offer the view that you refer to this as your decision, and I disagree. It should be HER decision. You refer to her as "not overly outgoing" and it seems like you are reinforcing that by not giving her the experience of shopping for a car and making her own decision. And by choosing a car for her you clearly expect her to keep for almost an entire decade.

Member #
    Just remember, whether you go with a Toyota, a Honda, a RR, etc. There are ALWAYS stellar units and there are ALWAYS lemon units in every lineup.
    Good luck with the decision and yes, lucky girl! My first car was a $500 1959 Peugeot. BUT I LEARNED ALOT!
    -cindy
    ~~ Cindy ~~
    2016 Evoque SE, born in Halewood England, adopted into new family in San Diego, California

Member #
    I agree with the father’s prerogative to select the car for his daughter. Whether or not an 18YO has the capacity to select her car, is moot. It’s a gift from him to her - his choice. And he is doing his due diligence as a father to make sure he choose what he deems as appropriate for her.
    Rsquared likes this.

Member #
    I appreciate everyone’s response. We are still looking and considering. I have narrowed down to a couple of choices which have the safety features I consider a must but may let her get involved at the end, but always like to see the surprised look since not expecting and hasn’t asked for anything. Oddly enough I sent an email to my RR salesman and Lexus salesman a week ago with no response. Thanks again for the opinions, I will continue to monitor yalls feedback on different Evoque issues. Have a good day....

Ads