Evoque Forums banner

20,000 mile service and already needed new breaks. total cost $1,635!!!

8K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ddsski 
#1 ·
I absolutely love My 2014 Range Rover Evoque and really like the dealership that I factory ordered it from. However, I was shocked that at my 20,000 mile service it needed new rear breaks and said that my front ones will need it soon too. I asked him why and he said it was just the area we live in and not something I was doing or breaking incorrectly. I live in the northwest and have had my car for almost 3 years and it has 21,000 miles on it and just drive it around town. I still think that having to replace them so soon and for so much money is absurd.

I have seen one other post that someone needed them at 25,000 miles. I am just curious if this is common and how much they charge?

I was upset how much the total with the service came to and my guy was nice to take of $150.00 but it still cost just shy of $1,500 for the serice and rear breaks. I like the dealership and feel I can trust them with their adice and quotes but I just wanted to make sure.

Thank for any input. I really appreciate it.

#2 ·
Prices for service are outrageous at the dealership! 21,000 miles is a pretty short lifespan for brakes. I think I was at 32,000 miles and I'm hard on the brakes.

#3 ·
FrienzeRedGal, Rovingvic is spot on when he says dealership prices are way too high. Brakes are something any top quality independent shop
can handle. BUT... you would need to take along the instructions on how to disable the Electronic Parking Brake, while servicing the rear brakes.

You can see the instructions in the thread below, post number 6.

http://www.evoqueforums.net/forum/evoque-forum/2233-rear-brake.html

#4 ·
Unfortunately, 20k miles is not unheard of for brakes on luxury vehicles. Many luxury vehicles use 'soft' brake pads to prevent squeal and noises which aren't acceptable on expensive cars. And they figure you have money to burn since you bought a luxury car. But even on some lower end cars they have started going with 'soft' brake pads simply to prevent noises which leads to complaints and warranty work. As such these 'soft' brake pads wear out in 20-30k miles. Sure they can build pads that go 40k but you might hear a squeal. It has nothing to do with where you live, and the factory pads they put in will likely last the same amount of time. For pads alone, figure $30-$80 per pair or $120-$160 for factory pads. Yes there's a difference, but no you likely won't notice. An independent shop might charge $200 per pair for installation while the dealership will likely charge $300-500 for installation. So if you did front & rear at a dealership figure a minimum of $1000.

One thing that can really add up the money is if you replace the rotors or turn down the rotors giving them a new surface. Normally you can do just pads the first time, then replace rotors every other time. So one rotor should be good for two sets of pads. If you want to spend the extra money on turning down the rotors between each set of pads you can, but it's really wasted money unless you have a shudder problem. Some pads last longer but wear the rotors more, other pads wear quicker but are easier on the rotors. Rotors are likely about the same price as a pair of pads but only for one, and you need 2 for the front and 2 for the rear. So the cost can double if you do rotors as well as pads.

I did the pads on a friends Toyota Corolla and got ceramic pads for $60 front and 3 hours of my time. Dealer was $210 for the same pads. Installed was another $300.

Find an independent shop for brake jobs because it will save you a lot of money. Also you might ask how far down the pads are and ask for them back from the dealer to see for yourself. 1/8" or 3mm is time to replace them. If they are 4mm I'd keep driving, but you risk destroying the brake wear sensors. The sensors are another $15-$25 each.

You can search online for part pricing. Rockauto.com is the cheapest but will also carry the cheapest brands as well as some good ones. Think about your time to look up, order, install and all that stuff so maybe a dealer or independent is cheaper in the long run.

#5 · (Edited)
20K on a set of pads means a few things. Not busting, being direct.
1. stop n go traffic a lot.
2. You ride the brakes too much because you tailgate or constantly overaccelerate and then have to correct. Meaning if I'm following you, I see the brakes 5-10 times for each time I touch the pedal!! See it all the time.
3. Left foot brake without skills to do it correctly.
4. YOU ARE ON YOUR CELL PHONE AND CONSTANTLY OVERREACT DUE TO LACK OF ATTENTION.
If brakes are smooth just change pads, don't touch the rotors!! BTW changing pads is a 1 hr job!
I have 59K on my X5 and fronts have 40K left, rears have ~30K left and this car did a serious track day! I am always amused by folks with taillights flickering on/off all the time.

One of the major causes of squealing is repeated light pressure which causes glazing. Easiest way to quiet down brakes is to stand on them occasionally esp if you live in damp climates aka the south and coast.

THE SOFT BRAKES FEATURE IS JUST PLAIN WRONG. CERAMIC BRAKES TRULY SUCK DUE TO THE EXTRA PEDAL PRESSURE THEY REQUIRE AND ON A BMW FOR EXAMPLE YOU'LL JUST KILL THE ROTORS. BMW rotors are designed to wear along with the pads, much of that brake dust is rotor wear. I put them on my Ascender which stays parked outside on side of mountain in Maine thinking the pads wouldn't rot out the rotors as fast. Rotors will still disintegrate in 3-4 years but now it takes double the pedal pressure. They get thrown away next spring! BUT, they are smooth probably because they aren't doing much!!

#6 ·
Just replaced my rear brake pads And sensors for $317 at dealers. Look up my post "brake price" .. I had 46,500 miles and still had 3mm thread so could have gone a couple more thousand miles if I pushed it. Thought my dealers prices were expensive.. Still too expensive but not as bad as others . My front brakes were 4mm and $290. Will get them later

#8 ·
Went in for my 3 year $30k maintenance Service. I get the call from dealer that both pads & rotors need to be changed and total for front & back is $1600. He mentions that i can still go on the current brakes for a 1k or 2k more miles since its has about 3MM left. $800 for pads & new rotors seems excessive given the quotes folks are stating here.

Its getting serviced as we speak and will try to bring him down. Hopefully i wont have to worry about this again for another 25-30k miles plus, but dealer says its common for Evoque since LR uses soft pads and the car is pretty heavy. Dealer stated that the larger versions go through pads & rotors at 10k-20k miles depending on how the car is driven... Not please with this hit to the wallet, especially around xmas... any thoughts?

#10 · (Edited)
NO NEED TO CHANGE ROTORS AT 30K!! Have them show you run out measurements. Damn crooked auto mechanics!! That's BS IMHO!! What they should be saying is the vehicle is grossly underbraked (which performance wise is not true) if it chews up brakes so quickly. At 8K my Evoque pads still look like new BTW. If they wear that quickly I wouldn't replace with stock junk, I'd do some research and go aftermarket with something better like Hawk, pagid, porterfeld, etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.