Evoque Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I am new here and have acquired a 2012 Evoque with a bad engine (knock on cylinder 4). It has the 2.0 turbo that I believe is the ford eco-boost engine. Do I need to buy an Evoque engine or will a w.o eco boost out of a 2011-2014 edge/escape/explorer work? I have searched all over and cannot find if there are any internal differences. I will swap over all the Evoque accessories and sensors and install a new turbo/manifold while I am at it. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Mate, So no experience from me with evoque engine swaps unfortunately and perhaps nobody else by the look of it! But I have experience swapping suzuki M-series engines around, for example, I swapped an M18 from a Suzuki Liana (Front wheel drive sedan) into a Suzuki Jimny (4WD normally has an M13 engine in it) so this is basically a similar theory, although i was changing bore and stroke as well unlike yourself.

Your plan seems sound with regard to swapping all ancilliaries over, but there will be other issues, for example, these are some of the issues I face swapping a Front Wheel Drive motor into a Four wheel drive model- The manifolds are going to be totally different, The Flywheel will be different, as you mention all ancilliaries are going to be different, (you will not be able to be lazy swapping them over, as you suggest you probably have to change all) there may be blanking plates to swap around where some models are using transverse versions of this engine, You will have to swap the Sump in all liklihood it will be different shape for the different vehicle clearances, and this in turn may mean swapping the oil pump and possibly the rocker cover, probably the dip stick may need attention if the sump has changed.

SO that's some of the stuff i ran into swapping very very similar engine blocks around, the Suzuki M-series are all virtually identical blocks just different bore and strokes, and that's all of the stuff I had to change still!!! That being said, it wasn't a nightmare job at all. just time consuming and requiring careful thought. It worked first time after the swap and took me and a mate 2 days in a fairly chilled work ethic.

Due to the advanced electronics package on any cars really from Euro 3 onwards, I think the job stoppers may be as follows:
You need to ensure that you have the same compression ratio, make sure it really is virtually the same engine specs including camshafts. If it's different I think you are going to run into ECU issues flagging fueling etc with engine lights. So just be careful before you spend your money.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts