Evoque Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone did their own transmission fluid change?
what transmission fluid did u use?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I believe you don't have to change the transition fluid ever; it should last for the car's life.
My neighbor is a mechanical engineer that once had a business that performed lots of automatic transmission testing and verification. His opinion is that regardless of what the manufacturer claims, the transmission fluid should be changed every 50k miles. A drain and refill doesn't replace all of the fluid, but it gets a significant portion of it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
has anyone did their own transmission fluid change?
what transmission fluid did u use?
My owner's manual for the 2015 Dynamic gasoline engine says "Gearbox oil: Shell L12108" which I think is LR part number LR023288. When I get around to doing mine, that is what I plan to use.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My neighbor is a mechanical engineer that once had a business that performed lots of automatic transmission testing and verification. His opinion is that regardless of what the manufacturer claims, the transmission fluid should be changed every 50k miles. A drain and refill doesn't replace all of the fluid, but it gets a significant portion of it.
What kind of oil to use? From the dealership? Do you know how many qts ? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I change the gearbox oil every 20000km. The oil is Rheinland JAKO. Our gearbox is Aisin 6-speed system. It is easy to change the gearbox oil, but you need to wait for the gearbox to cool down before you can change the oil. Use a measuring cup to calculate the amount of oil leakage, and then add new ones according to the amount of leakage. Just use oil, remember to reset the gearbox setting after changing the oil.

·
Registered
Evoque 13 plate pure
4 Posts
"Don't forget to reset gearbox setting after changing oil" prey tell how we do that please

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just finished doing a full fluid swap a few weeks ago... Fairly easy process (once you figure out where everything is).

The fluid you want is Idemitsu TLS-LV. For those in the US, NAPA carries it... as does Amazon. You can also order Ravenol AW-1 (or something like that).

I have a 2013, and this being my first fluid swap, it took 6 fill and drains to get to an almost new coloration of the fluid. Takes about 3.5 - 4 quarts per exchange. (I used 24 quarts in total). Don't forget to cycle through the gears before each drain.

To access the fill port, take off the left wheel. The fill plug is right behind the shock, upper right of the block, facing a 45 degree angle. you need a T-50 for that. Opening is 3/8" -- i used a 3/8" RO tube to bridge between the port and a cheap hand pump from Harbor Freight (also available at most auto stores and even Home Depot).

When on your final fill, level the car and get the engine running until the transmission temp is about 125F. rate of fluid coming out of your auto level port should be a "mild sputtering stream" :)...

Reset the service state by following : How To Reset Oil Service Light On Range Rover Evoque (2011-2021)

·
Registered
4 Posts
The fluid you want is Idemitsu TLS-LV.
TLS stands for Toyota Lexus Scion, so it's designed for Toyotas. Beyond that, my concern with that product is that it is not a full synthetic.

The correct ATF to use is Land Rover LR023288 or any ATF that is compatible with that specification. In the U.S., commonly available products include

Castrol Transmax ATF DEXRON-VI MERCON LV Multivehicle Full Synthetic (product 468081)
Valvoline Max Life Multi Vehicle ATF Full Synthetic

Both of these products specifically cross-reference LR023288 in their datasheets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
TLS stands for Toyota Lexus Scion, so it's designed for Toyotas. Beyond that, my concern with that product is that it is not a full synthetic.

The correct ATF to use is Land Rover LR023288 or any ATF that is compatible with that specification. In the U.S., commonly available products include

Castrol Transmax ATF DEXRON-VI MERCON LV Multivehicle Full Synthetic (product 468081)
Valvoline Max Life Multi Vehicle ATF Full Synthetic

Both of these products specifically cross-reference LR023288 in their datasheets.
Actually, the Idemitsu fluid is full synthetic. And believe is the OEM fluid. The service manual indicates Nippon AW-1. But, Idemitsu and Nippon oil are alliance partners.

Plus, the trans maker Aisin is a subsidiary of Toyota.

The key is look for a liquid that is for "WS" type transmissions. Idemitsu TLS-LV is WS specific.

That said, Castrol and Valvoline both work as well -- I didn't go with these even though they are easier to get because I wanted a specific WS fluid vs more universal ones. When I researched for as close to stock fluid (without paying Land Rover prices), Idemitisu came up as the OEM or near OEM equivalent. So far, my trans is running smoothly, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe you don't have to change the transition fluid ever; it should last for the car's life.
@angeli662

BTW -- manual says that... but don't believe it. It's seal for the life of the trans, true. but that's until the the trans dies or you're out of warranty. :). When the trans breaks, you replace the whole thing... so "lifetime".

I just did my first trans fluid swap at 74K miles. Black. Thick. Sludge. My car runs much smoother now that I did a near full swap until it was close to the new fluid red. Took 6 swaps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually, the Idemitsu fluid is full synthetic.
I didn't see that indicated anywhere on the bottle or the data sheet, so I assumed it is not synthetic. That's something manufacturers usually brag about in their marketing.

Plus, the trans maker Aisin is a subsidiary of Toyota.
Ah, I get the picture now: you must have an earlier Evoque with an Aisin 6-speed. Mine has a 9-speed ZF. The ATF requirements are quite different!

ZF 8- and 9-speed trannies require an ultra low viscosity ATF, not just low viscosity, which makes reading ATF data sheets mandatory. Pennzoil Low Viscosity Multi-Vehicle ATF, for example, is recommended for nearly all transmissions -- except there's a footnote on the spec sheet that says not recommended for ZF 8- or 9-speeds. There are a lot of products out there with vague and confusing claims, labels can be misleading and I found some auto parts store websites recommending the wrong fluids.

Your Idemitsu product is no doubt a perfect choice for your Aisin transmission, but I wouldn't recommend it for the ZF's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ah, I get the picture now: you must have an earlier Evoque with an Aisin 6-speed. Mine has a 9-speed ZF. The ATF requirements are quite different!

ZF 8- and 9-speed trannies require an ultra low viscosity ATF, not just low viscosity, which makes reading ATF data sheets mandatory. Pennzoil Low Viscosity Multi-Vehicle ATF, for example, is recommended for nearly all transmissions -- except there's a footnote on the spec sheet that says not recommended for ZF 8- or 9-speeds. There are a lot of products out there with vague and confusing claims, labels can be misleading and I found some auto parts store websites recommending the wrong fluids.

Your Idemitsu product is no doubt a perfect choice for your Aisin transmission, but I wouldn't recommend it for the ZF's.
Yes... OP was inquiring about fluid for a 2012. :)

The ZF definitely has a different requirement. I envy the ease of access to the fill plus on the ZF. Same process to get to it by removing the wheel. Just don't have to hug the shock to get to the fill plug with the ZF. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
My apologies to you and to the OP for erroneously talking about the wrong transmission. Next time I'll read the thread title before spouting off 🤦‍♂️

1 - 16 of 16 Posts