Evoque Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
QUESTION......HAVE A 2013 PURE EVOQUE WITH CLIMATE PKG......WINDOW STICKER SAYS "KEYLESS ENTRY" since i have purchased it a few weeks ago i have noticed i need to press open for doors to open and lock for them to lock......i do see others evoques door open as u put your hand behind handle then lock when u push area on handle when out of vehicle..in other words..key is always in pocket and never pressed when near truck.....i brought truck to LR dealer and they are telling me its not equipped with that option...i said" thats an option"? so question is...do you guys have same situation on a pure evoque 5 door? thanks to all who help!

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I can't remember all the terms but there are two different systems. One, you have to use the key fob to lock and unluck the doors. I had an Evoque loaner from the dealer recently with this set up. The other is, infact, totally keyless/fobless. To lock the car all one has to do is touch the door handle in a certain spot. To unlock just wrap ones had around the handle. I have this system on my cars. Regardless, I guess they both can be considered keyless?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep....does have 2 different keyless options....i called landrover themelves....rep says...if you do not have "passive keyless"then u must use key to open and lock doors. usually comes with premium package. so sticker has to say "passive keyless entry" thanks to all

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yup. Spouse has the passive keyless entry on her LR4 where she needs no fob to lock or unlock doors. I have to use the fob to lock and unlock the Evoque. But I do have the luxury of pressing lock twice and hearing the horn chirp to confirm locking while she does not. Trade offs. Oh well....we have the best of both worlds. No BMW's and two Rovers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got my new Evoque yesterday. LOVE IT. But I do have keyless entry and it does not work no matter how perfectly I follow the instructions. Touch the two ridges, just the top or bottom, tried both fobs, etc. how can this be fixed? Do I have to return to dealer to fix it? Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
590 Posts
Just got my new Evoque yesterday. LOVE IT. But I do have keyless entry and it does not work no matter how perfectly I follow the instructions. Touch the two ridges, just the top or bottom, tried both fobs, etc. how can this be fixed? Do I have to return to dealer to fix it? Thanks,
You are mixing metaphors. There is a huge difference between “Keyless entry” and “Passive entry”.
Keyless entry has been around for decades. You press a button on a key fob, and the doors unlock.

Passive entry means you don't have to do anything, except walk up to the vehicle, touch the two bars,
and the doors unlock. Passive entry is an option that comes with the Premium Package on the Pure Plus model. Not sure if it is standard on the Dynamic or not.

All of the door handles are the same, whether you have the Passive Entry or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Keyless entry

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Now I get it. What throws me is that the handbook only refers to the passive system. Even my wife's Prius has a passive system. I don't understand why Range Rover would not make all the cars with a passive system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same experience with my new Evoque. It's my understanding that there is a sensor in the door handle that makes it "passive" keyless entry. I wonder if that is something that could be installed by the dealer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
AH, you can't do that if it's not equipped with passive entry to begin with. Frogman wants to know if the sensor in the door handle can vbe changed to make it "passive" from simply "keyless" and the answer is no. There are a number of sensors around the vehicle that receive signals from the key fob in your pocket or wherever and they are activated upon touching the vehicle. Simply attempting to change one won't help him. My spouse has the LR-4 and if she is more than about 2-3 feet away from the vehicle, it won't open for me. But if she is close or touches me, I can open it. I believe it acts on body capacitance in that manner. The BMW's and other vehicles also did the same way.

A note on battery life...every time you are near your vehicle with passive entry, the electronics wake up awaiting your entry, whether you actually open the door or not. This will help kill your battery in no time at all. I found it was better to leave the fob far away when working in the garage unless I wanted to actually work on the car and needed entry. Now this was BMW and not RR, so I can't vouch the same will happen, but there are reports of vehicles humming or not shutting down after driving when the driver remains in the area, which I attribute to the same issue. Or the clicking or humming when the vehicle is unlocked and you're near the vehicle at rest. Dunno how this equates to the RR yet but it sucks the life out of Der Wunderwagens...

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just picked up my wife's Evoque pure plus and could not be more disappointed with this issue. What is the point of keyless start without passive entry? Is this the only car on the road with push button start that does not have passive entry? Clearly all of the equipment to recognize that the keys are near the vehicle are there for the start feature to work why would they stop the passive entry from working? We thought it had the passive entry because the door handle looks like it does. All the convenience of push button start is lost when you have to dig through your pocket to find the fob to lock and unlock the doors. The fix for this has to be easy like inserting a fuse or something simple like that. They should make it available to customers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have the 2013 pure with keyless entry not passive entry. Does anyone know if the passive keyless entry can be added by the dealer? I thought It was included since the window sticker said keyless entry. Did not know there was a difference. I had it on my other car and really miss it. You would think it would be an easy install since the handles already have the sensors in it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts