Evoque Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm new to the forum and new to the RR world. That said, I recent had a 2011 jaguar xf. Loved that car, but it had its electrical gremlins as these JLR vehicles often do.

So, I just bought a 2013 rr Evoque with 37,000 miles. The truck seems to be in amazing condition. It is out of factory warranty. I bought from a non LR dealer. My question is should I spring for an aftermarket extended warranty?

I am hesitant because I see all these horror stories online of all these warranty companies that are quick to take your cash upfront, but then getting them to pay a claim is nearly impossible. They always find a reason why it isn't covered, etc. So many bad reviews. Warranty Pricing ranging from 1700-7000 USD. That said, a little about me and my driving.

I easily get bored and end up trading in my cars, etc. after 2-3 years. I'm sure I'll upgrade this in that time frame as well. I put about 10k miles on a car a year. I'm very good about oil changes etc.

Do I spring for an "extended warranty" and risk the companies finding a reason to not pay out a claim or do I save that money for when and if something large happens in the next couple of years??

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
590 Posts
WiscoRover, Welcome to the forum!

Everyone has to do what they think is best for their situation. If it were me, I would save the cost of the warranty in a savings account, and if needed, use that to help pay any repair costs. If you don't have any issues, you still have the money for repairs on your next purchase.

We have a MY13 Evoque Coupe, and haven't had any issues. Having said that, it is a garage queen/grocery getter with only 9,800 miles after 46 months. So maybe not a good benchmark for repair issues:eek:.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm leaning towards that idea as well. It's a gamble, but from what I can see, so are these after market extended warranty companies...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I ended up going and getting a warranty. 99/month until $2650 is paid, cancel whenever, 4 yr/ 48000 additional miles. They refund whatever portion you don't use over the 4 year/48000 additional amortized.
Went with a company called "Autopom" out of California. They sell a Platinum Plus full exclusion warranty thru CARGUARD. Seems to be legit and a decent price IMO.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a 2013 Dynamic which had been perfect until I got a rear dif error and warning car was two-wheel drive only. Turned out to be a rear suspension lubrication pump that was a $2000 fix. I had bought extended warranty when car was new so cost to me was $200. Can't remember pump name, but a little research showed it was the same pump used on some Fords. Big difference was Ford has a filter and fluid service interval, Land Rover claims it's sealed for life. In other words, until it breaks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my 2013 has 83,000 km on it, bought it new and it has been a piece of crap, they never offered me extended warranty when I bought it, , the on demand coupling pump went on mine too, it was under warranty then , but, 3000k out of warranty, the coupling failed, that was over $5000.00, had a grinding noise after the second year, turned out to be a transfer case, ( they kept telling me it was my tires until I put new ones on and the noise was the same) that was replaced under warranty, then it was the dynamic suspension that failed, after paying nearly $600.00 for a height sensor, I left the dealer drove half mile and returned it, another $1000.00 it got a new strut, oh, and it needs a new turbo for another $4000.00.

get the warranty, you will need it!!!!!! piece of crap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
do let us know how the autopom warranty is, i bought it for my M5 and do not have high hopes. Is it backed by carguard?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do let us know how the autopom warranty is, i bought it for my M5 and do not have high hopes. Is it backed by carguard?
Yes and also had to file a claim. Hvac blower went out. Pending to see if they’ll fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well, I ended up going and getting a warranty. 99/month until $2650 is paid, cancel whenever, 4 yr/ 48000 additional miles. They refund whatever portion you don't use over the 4 year/48000 additional amortized.
Went with a company called "Autopom" out of California. They sell a Platinum Plus full exclusion warranty thru CARGUARD. Seems to be legit and a decent price IMO.
The factory warranty is 4yr/50k and you got an exclusionary warranty that covers it to 8yr/98k for only $2650? That sounds like a great price. Have you filed any claims yet?

I don't understand the refund of the amount you don't use? Is that if you sell the car?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The factory warranty is 4yr/50k and you got an exclusionary warranty that covers it to 8yr/98k for only $2650? That sounds like a great price. Have you filed any claims yet?

I don't understand the refund of the amount you don't use? Is that if you sell the car?
Yes and yes. I just filed a claim actually as my HVAC fan blower randomly went out. Weird on a 2013 with 38k miles... And a 7 hour labor job. Unreal.

But they are covering a portion of it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes and yes. I just filed a claim actually as my HVAC fan blower randomly went out. Weird on a 2013 with 38k miles... And a 7 hour labor job. Unreal.

But they are covering a portion of it.
I was looking at their website and it looks pretty good. The only issue I would have is that all maintenance has to be performed by a licensed repair facility. I like to change my own brakes, coolant, brake fluid, oil, air filter, etc. I assume all extended warranties require you to strictly stick to the manufacturer maintenance schedule and have it done by a licensed facility.

Why are they only covering a portion of it? Shouldn't a 2013 with only 38k miles still be under the factory warranty?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was looking at their website and it looks pretty good. The only issue I would have is that all maintenance has to be performed by a licensed repair facility. I like to change my own brakes, coolant, brake fluid, oil, air filter, etc. I assume all extended warranties require you to strictly stick to the manufacturer maintenance schedule and have it done by a licensed facility.

Why are they only covering a portion of it? Shouldn't a 2013 with only 38k miles still be under the factory warranty?
Nope five years has passed. No warranty. They just mean oil etc which I have zero time to do that anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I feel you!.. had my 2013 RR PPlus for only 2+ years and 3rd cyl. missfire is turning into a choice eng. replacement.. wish to god I had purchased an extended warr. sooner! Not sure I want to pay 10 to 13K for a new or used eng. Might as well junk the thing now...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I feel you!.. had my 2013 RR PPlus for only 2+ years and 3rd cyl. missfire is turning into a choice eng. replacement.. wish to god I had purchased an extended warr. sooner! Not sure I want to pay 10 to 13K for a new or used eng. Might as well junk the thing now...
Damn, that sucks. I know LR has the reputation as one of the worst manufacturers in the world as far as reliability. But the engine and turbo are from Ford and these ecoboost engines seem rock solid in the Ford cars. I expected the engine and turbo would at least be reliable. I really want an extended warranty (mine just went out) but I just can't decide who to go with. Mine is just over 4 years old and has 49k miles. Right now everything seems to be ok but I do have a whirring noise that I suspect might be the early stages of a turbo going bad.

Let us know what you decide to do. I would think if an engine or transmission went out on one of these you might be financially better off parting the thing out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts