Evoque Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my parents 2014 Evoque for a few weeks. Having some overboost and no boost issues. I've narrowed down to it doesn't seem to be mechanical or heat related, but please read on for a little history to how I came down to this.

I assume the turbo model is the turbo model. I do see the date code on the vehicle is a late 2013, which I understand could have some spillover parts related to the wastegate from 2012-2013 models, that later model 2014's and on use some different design/parts. I'm assuming those that will reply to this post are familiar with these differences.

So, my dad wanted me to "drive this thing" for a month while my mom is recovering from surgery. So when I got it, I put the turbo thru its paces and had some insane issues in how this thing responded. Sometimes it seemed like the engine would just wind out at high RPM and not go anywhere. I definitely felt an overboost where the engine bucked and seemed to cut off the fuel for a sec. And times where it just felt like the turbo wasn't spooling at all - felt like a slow 4 banger. Then, I picked up a CEL after farting around a bit.

Once I worked out a scanner (Bluetooth) I started getting some more info. P0234 overboost. OK, cleared it. Drove around a bit. Seemed AOK. Pulled good, boost showing reasonable on the scanner (15-16lbs it seemed max when really getting down on it). I didn't seem to be able to recreate the things I first felt. So I drove it on my 45 mile daily one-way commute. Felt fine the whole way. Pulled well the 7 mins on the side roads before getting to the highway. On the highway, I drove normally. When I got off the highway, it seemed like the turbo wasn't spooling again. Checked, and only seeing like 2lbs boost max and it felt like a normal 4 banger. Again. But no CEL. Shut it off when I got to work. I figured maybe a cracked manifold was rearing itself after getting heated up and not building exhaust pressure for the turbo to spool.

On the way home, pulled strong again. So I played a bit by getting on it pretty good, and ended up feeling like I lost boost again. Showing that low 1-2lbs max on the scanner, but no CEL. Got home and parked it. Still thinking it's issues after it's warm, at this point.

Next day, I take it out to see if I can get it to CEL again by doing successive high RPM pulls one after another. I'm able to pop the same P0234 CEL, right after a long pull and I felt the fuel get cut off quickly. I hit the gas and can tell the turbo is dead again, and still getting 1-2 lbs. I clear the CEL while I'm driving, get on it, and the boost is back! I drive it hard again for a bit until I feel the boost gone again. No CEL, but I have no boost. To see if this is electronic, I shut the car down and turn it back on. Sure enough, boost is back. I drive it hard for a bit again, get the boost to stop again, shut the car off, turn it back on, get on it, and the boost is back. So shutting the car off, when the CEL isn't there but I don't have boost, brings the boost back.

So it doesn't seem heat related, and it doesn't seem mechanical. I know this thing is doomed with the turbo, but I'd guess the way my parents drive, the turbo rarely even engages, which is why they've never noticed the issues. I'd assume I could clear the CEL and give it back to them and they may never have an issue. This doesn't seem like it really needs a total turbo replacement right now, but what could this be? It seems like an electronic issue. Bad switch/valve/actuator/sensor.

And if 50% of the work to replace whatever may be bad here would need to be done for the full turbo, I'd consider talking them into a turbo replacement. I know there are multiple failures that can occur with these turbos, and they mostly seem heat related with the manifold. And heat is heat, regardless if the turbo is engaging or not, things can break and the rattling can start. If we only replaced some random exterior part of the turbo to fix this current issue, and considering my parents likely rarely even engage the turbo, should I even be considering a proactive replacement of this turbo now, if I can try and fix this current issue with a less costly/intense solution? Can the factory turbo survive in these vehicles indefinitely, if they aren't "used" that much (I know it's still being used, but it's not being pushed to it's limits)?

Depending on the work, I'd attempt it myself, but I know where my limits are. I'm no expert - barely a novice. But I can read and watch videos and I think logically. I already called my mechanic (who I doubt touches these often, if at all) and he already threw out "bad turbo". And I'd assume most shops will also just push for that since it's the global "easy" fix, instead of troubleshooting actual components of a known crap turbo design.

Any guidance or advice would be helpful. I can dig deeper into the scanner data to confirm recommendations, or at least have something more to take to the mechanic in the hope they can target a specific component for me.

Thanks!
Tim

PS - Oh yeah, this is my first post. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm narrowing things down. Again, I'm a novice. And I believe the early model 2014's have wastegate control parts that are different than later model 2014's and later years. I'm considering swapping out the wastegate actuator valve, but am not 100% sure what needs to be purchased.

Genuine OEM By-Pass Control Valve Part# LR074184 Fits 2012-2015 Land Rover: Up To 35% Off On Every Order And Guaranteed Fit When You Enter Your VIN | Jaguar Land Rover Cary

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Actuator. Valve. Passenger - LR093490 | Land Rover Palm Beach Parts, West Palm Beach FL

Are these one in the same for different models, or is this a completely different part?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
56 Posts
When my 2014 Turbo went out, at 45k, I was on the way to the airport to pick up a friend. I was still close enough to home that I could drive it back. Revs would go crazy just to achieve 35mph. My turbo seems to kick in around 20mph. Had it replaced with an off the shelf turbo that has Bosch parts. I was told it should last at least 60k. Knock on wood. I don't think it would be good for your parents to drive their car without the turbo, unless they are going at 15mph or less.

·
Registered
2016 Evoque HSE
14 Posts
I have a 2016. The stock turbo/manifold assembly failed at 63K. My understanding is they fail between 50-80Kmiles. I called the dealer and asked if the part number changed since 2016, it is an assembly. He said no change. I asked if he has replaced more than once on a customers vehicle. He said yes.
Often the issue is not the turbo but the exhaust manifold failing. It is a weldment, meaning it is made up of individual parts that are welded together. Mine failed between the manifold body and the mounting flange to the head. The weld does not go all the way around but is spot welded.

My solution was to buy an aftermarket assembly with a Stigan Turbo ILO stock. It is is performing well so far. The assembly uses a cast manifold which should solve the manifold issues.

I have to say that the engine driving management system is a bit off in mine. Excessive turbo lag, slow downshifts and there are situations where the behavior is much like you describe, high rpm for no good reason.
However, using the paddles to shift or using the sport mode works well. I have found turning the paddles on for D mode works well too. If I am in a hurry and don't want to wait for a response, double click the downshift and go. Very little delay in response with impressive acceleration.

Keep in mind that this is basically a Ford Ecoboast 2.0L engine. The mechanic I used use to work for Ford Dealership and felt very comfortable working on it.

I had a situation where the engine started missing on the highway at 70. I limped to my destination on 3 cylinders. Turned it off and then back on and it was fine afterwards. Took it to a dealer who tried to replicate the problem and was not able to. He stated that cylinders 3 and 4 were missing in the code history but it was not hard. Haven't had a problem since. No CEL either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts