Evoque Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I last posted in early 2014 after going through 2 bad brand new 2014 Evoques in just 3 months (both replaced by a great dealership), now the 3rd replacement needs a new transmission after only 12K miles! Explanation is the original 2014 9 speed has issues and updated version fixes them. The car was shifting funny which couldn't be fixed by a software upgrade so need to replace entire transmission. Dealership says they've had to do this several times. Anyone else had so much bad luck? I see lots of transmission posts so suspect we're not the only ones. Considering just trading in for another brand at this point which is too bad as we like car.

Original post: Multiple issues with 2 new evoques -now auto acceleration

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow sorry for your bad luck with the evoque. If they let u out under lemon law since u had to get 3 different cars, then I would.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think the lemon law service documentation starts over with each vehicle.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm in process of discussion with aftermarket sales on mine. The transmission sucks and is ruining an otherwise fabulous car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the feedback. Fortunately my FANTASTIC dealership in Seattle has not left me needing to look into lemon laws at this point. They replaced the first 2 cars with identical brand new ones at no cost plus they are replacing the transmission on the current on at no cost plus gave us a loaded new XJ as a loaner. If it wasn't for their loyalty, I would have given up earlier....it has been a big inconvenience and made us question the reliability of the vehicle though. I own an XJ I bought from them 5 years ago which has done very well and any issues were dealt with professionally. The feeling is the new updated version of the 9 speed transmission will solve our issue...I'll let you know in a few months.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sounds like you're dealing with an exceptional dealership & you're very lucky to have found them. I'd give them a shout-out in the forum & other social media!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Too bad the 2016's can't be configured like our 2015 Dynamic Coupe with the red/black interior or I'd lean on my dealership to take the 2015 SH$$box back. Yea I'm getting fed up with their idiot engineers that refuse to listen to common sense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update....

Got the Evoque back from the dealer with new transmission....WHAT AN AMAZING DIFFERENCE! Felt like we went from a sloppy 4 cylinder to a smooth V-6! Drove so much better so think the early ZF 9 speed had some problems that the new one has fixed.

Dealership has been exceptional in taking care of us. It is Seattle Land Rover/Jag. GM Dmitri has taken care of us all along the way. I would highly recommend them.

The warranty work cost Land Rover over $25K and was fully covered as I would have hoped. My recommendation is if you've had issues with how an early ZF 9 speed drives, push for a transmission replacement.

Kent

·
Registered
518 Posts
Glad to hear everything has worked out for you!

·
Registered
335 Posts
VERY GOOD TO KNOW. LR was foolish for using this new untested unit just to be able to say "it has a 9 speed tranny". Hopefully mine fails so it can be replaced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do you know

So..how do you know when your transmission needs to be replaced? I have had a couple of updates, not as bad as it was before...but I still get the "whiplash" affect when the car goes into 2nd gear. Nothing when downshifting. I find that the 2nd gear whiplash is worse when it is cold outside. I drove the 2016 as a loaner... talk about smooth. The $25,000 price tag bothers me, what happens when my warranty runs out and the transmission fails? I wil definately be filling out the survey on this site.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dealer blew off complaints about the 2014 9spd transmission after Q450 messed it up. Constantly jerky shifting, up shits too fast, down shifts too slow then engine rpms lag. Only way to keep it smooth was to drive with slow acceleration and to goose the engine to make it downshift sooner when deaccelerating. JLR wasn't concerned either, no follow up after initial contact. They changed the behavior of the car for the apparent sake of fuel economy. Unacceptable, so I sold it. I heard a Mercedes model let's you set the shift points. Hummmmm.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The 30 mpg highway figure is pure unobtanium regardless of everything they've done to the transmission. I'm very happy with the 25-26 mpg it gets at 80-75. I didn't buy a 60k to worry about a few mpg. Seems the auto industry is all in a tizzy over these BS EPA requirements. They are forcing any of us with money to buy big trucks to get smooth drivetrains. The Ecoboost motor is actually very smooth and linear, and if you let it run, say in dynamic sport mode it usually runs in the 2-4 k rpm zone. When it won't upshift, the human just takes over. LR is getting a black eye from this poor performing transmission and my dealer is a bit embarassed about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally gave up on the Evoque...upgraded to a Land Rover Sport

So did u decide against trading it in? I thought I read u considered it.
....and so my saga continued. The new transmission was great...for a while! Then we started having problems with the computer systems. Computer kept telling us all the tires were flat likely because sensors were damaged when wheels were removed to replace the transmission...plus the car wouldn't start shortly after we went to a store. Dealership had to send someone out to get the car (glad we weren't in the mountains skiing!!). After another couple weeks in the shop it was deemed "fixed" with sensor replacement and new software. We drove 200 yards off the lot and the computer said the tires were flat again...and on and on and on. Time to give up after 3 Evoques and try something new. Sad, because still think best looking small SUV on the road.

Dealership (Seattle Lynnwood JLR) was again reasonable with us. Despite the problems, we wanted to stick with JLR for an option because we like the dealership. They made us what I felt was a fair deal to get out of the Evoque and lease a new Range Rover Sport instead. Yes, a more expensive car but seems a more solid one and good fit for us. I could have escalated things in lemon law territory, but the dealership had always treated us well. We always had top of the line service loaners, no monetary charges for all the issues (except the stress and time), respectful treatment, etc. I much prefer that we could find a reasonable solution that could allow us to move on.

I think 2014 was just a bad year for the Evoque since it came with lots of untested changes. Hopefully they are getting it better with newer versions. I'll let you know how the Sport goes...although since I no longer have an Evoque I'm probably out of this forum ;-)

Cheers!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Congratulations on the Sport, a very fine vehicle!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts