Evoque Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a problem with acceleration? Sometime, when I press on the gas pedal, nothing happens.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I notice a small lag with the acceleration but I don't see it as a problem. This is an SUV not a high performance car with fantastic throttle response. I think people are doing a little more knit-picking because of the reliability of Rovers past. Keep in mind this is a NEW vehicle, it hasn't had a chance to be put through the reliability test yet, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: malharden

·
Registered
15 Posts
There was a guy posting about this in the maintenance section. He said it came out to be a safety feature that whenever your foot was even slightly on the brake it would kill the throttle.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
326 Posts
For a Cross over or SUV, depending on how you want to classify the Evoque, given it's size and a 2.0L motor, I am pretty impressed with the acceleration. It's not a sports car, nor a big V-8. Its an all-wheel drive heavy vehicle that will get you most any where.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Guys dont forget the evoque is a turbocharged, any veh with a turbo will lag for at least the first 2000 rpm, then it will feel good. Or you can change to manual from the start, you will notice a difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Than the cross-or off-road vehicles, depending on how you want to classification Evoque, due to its size and the 2.0L motor, I am very impressed with the acceleration. It is not a sports car, nor is it a big V-8. All-wheel drive heavy vehicles, will allow you to most anywhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a similar problem on Thursday. Was driving in the city and when I pressed the gas pedal, acceleration was like walking through mud. Evetually the rpm's would shoot to 5000 and I had to back off the gas. Dropped it at the dealer on Saturday and picked it up on Tuesday. They couldn't find the problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The problem some of you are detailing is due to the Aisin transmission. It lags the acceleration because it is reluctant to downshift. You'll notice that it'll stay as low as 1200 rpm. I'm unsure if it's LR that mapped it this way to boost highway mpg but an ECU remap(or manual override via paddle shifters) helps ALOT. So if you're cruising and RPMs are at ~1100-1300 rpm, stomping on the accelerator does little to accelerate since tranny stays at the current gear instead of downshifting(sometimes after 2-3 secs of this lag, you'll see the tranny suddenly downshifting and acceleration is sudden). Manually shifting down will see a boost in acceleration. This is a known "issue" but it's working as designed(even though it's a flawed design) and the number 1 reason to do a custom ECU remap(apart from increasing boost and whatnot) :p

As to the OP: I'm unsure of the issue you're detailing other than the brake-pedal-pressure-safety that someone else has mentioned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It happened to me...a lot

The problem some of you are detailing is due to the Aisin transmission. It lags the acceleration because it is reluctant to downshift. You'll notice that it'll stay as low as 1200 rpm. I'm unsure if it's LR that mapped it this way to boost highway mpg but an ECU remap(or manual override via paddle shifters) helps ALOT. So if you're cruising and RPMs are at ~1100-1300 rpm, stomping on the accelerator does little to accelerate since tranny stays at the current gear instead of downshifting(sometimes after 2-3 secs of this lag, you'll see the tranny suddenly downshifting and acceleration is sudden). Manually shifting down will see a boost in acceleration. This is a known "issue" but it's working as designed(even though it's a flawed design) and the number 1 reason to do a custom ECU remap(apart from increasing boost and whatnot) :p

As to the OP: I'm unsure of the issue you're detailing other than the brake-pedal-pressure-safety that someone else has mentioned.

I have also experienced this problem....and more than once. I had suffered it more than 3 times.

I have now realized when it happens. Whenever I am in traffic and with the A/C on, it happens. Unfortunately for me I live in Mexico City, traffic is normal down here and A/C is a most, especially since I cannot have my window down for safety reasons.

My evoque performs fine but after 10 or 15 minutes of traffic it feels like I no longer have a gas pedal or at least it doesn't work anymore. I press the pedal at its maximum and my car hardly moves. It moves soooooo slow, I can't even think on switching lanes since the other cars are way faster than mine (even my granma would drive faster than me when my Evoques does that).

Everytime that I had suffered that I have sent my Evoque to the dealership, that means that I have sent my car 3 times...not one...3 times!! and nothing! they can't find anything since the computer never showed any alert. They think I am crazy. They told me that they have tested the car even with traffic and they have not experienced that. I even took video once with my iPhone but still they can't believe me.

It had helped a little bit when I switch to manual, but the problem remain.s

Don't know if it ever would be solved, but at least now I know that I am not crazy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you're talking about a somewhat random 1-2 second "re-acceleration" downshift delay/hesitation that will be SOP.

Lift the gas pedal for a slight coastdown/slowdown period, the tranny upshifts accordingly, and now does not have the energy left over to quickly downshift if you suddenly decide to accelerate(***). Lift the gas QUICKLY if what you wish to do is make use of engine compression for slowing, more slowly if you wish to simply enter cruise mode and an upshift is appropriate. The engine ECU will learn the difference and adjust accordingly.

*** DBW is used to prevent engine torque from rising until the downshift can complete.

·
Registered
13 Posts
1stSoldMexico,

When the engine "stalls" in the way you describe simply lift the gas pedal fully, count 1, 2, 3, and then gently re-apply gas pedal pressure to accelerate. SOP, nature of the BEAST!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The problem some of you are detailing is due to the Aisin transmission.

It lags the acceleration because it is reluctant to downshift.

No, it simply lacks the "energy" to accomplish a downshift closely following an upshift.

You'll notice that it'll stay as low as 1200 rpm. I'm unsure if it's LR that mapped it this way to boost highway mpg but an ECU remap(or manual override via paddle shifters) helps ALOT. So if you're cruising and RPMs are at ~1100-1300 rpm, stomping on the accelerator does little to accelerate since tranny stays at the current gear instead of downshifting(sometimes after 2-3 secs of this lag, you'll see the tranny suddenly downshifting and acceleration is sudden). Manually shifting down will see a boost in acceleration. This is a known "issue" but it's working as designed(even though it's a flawed design) and the number 1 reason to do a custom ECU remap(apart from increasing boost and whatnot) :p

Automatic transmission designs have changed in favor of extending FE beginning in about 2000. The ATF line pressure is no longer held constant at high pressure. When you enter a coastdown, slowdown, mode via relaxing pressure on the gas pedal the tranny will ALWAYS upshift as is appropriate. The engine is now at or near idle so the pumping capacity of the gear ATF gear pump is at the design minimum. Once your downshift is "in process" the real-time ATF line pressure control will be commanded to high pressure but since that cannot happen for 1-2 seconds the DBW system holds the engine off until the required downshift can be completed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts