Evoque Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i have a 2014 Evoque Dynamic and i attempted to change the oil myself for the first time. Well I mistakenly took off the wrong bolt and drained the Transfer case fluid instead. I did find the correct oil plug, drained the oil and replaced the filter like i wanted, but now I'm stuck.

My questions is can i add transfer case fluid back in easily, how much do i add, and where does it go?

I have attached an image of what i'm trying to describe.

Thanks for any help with this.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Someone with more technical experience should be along to help, but I wouldn’t go putting the old transmission Fluid back in. If you have drained it, it’s an ideal time to replace it with new.

if nobody else replies, google it to find where it goes and the best oil to use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone with more technical experience should be along to help, but I wouldn’t go putting the old transmission Fluid back in. If you have drained it, it’s an ideal time to replace it with new.

if nobody else replies, google it to find where it goes and the best oil to use.
i can get the new oil but i don't know which oil and how to put it back :(. Tried to google it but no luck.

·
Super Moderator
583 Posts
Have a look in your owner's manual, it should list the transfer case oil specification. It won't show where/how to fill the transfer case, but you will at least know what oil is required.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a look in your owner's manual, it should list the transfer case oil specification. It won't show where/how to fill the transfer case, but you will at least know what oil is required.
Am i looking for Gearbox oil? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
583 Posts
No. The gearbox oil is automatic transmission fluid. My "belief" is it would be the "Power Transfer Unit". You can always ring the dealer parts department, and ask if they have the transfer case oil in stock, and what the type is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. The gearbox oil is automatic transmission fluid. My "belief" is it would be the "Power Transfer Unit". You can always ring the dealer parts department, and ask if they have the transfer case oil in stock, and what the type is.
Hey thanks for the guidance. So i confirmed with the dealership and it is the "transfer case", and the oil they recommend is Castrol BOT720 $62.
The amount of oil that came out is around 200ml.

Now i need to figure out how to fill it back. hmm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the help.

So here is an update for anyone who might make this mistake in future. I contacted the dealership and they recommended Castrol BOT720 or any oil of grade 75W-90.

Using a 10$ hand pump, you can top it up. In my case the drained oil was 250ml, so i topped up with 250ml Castrol 75W-90. It's definitely gonna be a little messy, just make sure to stop the oil from coming out and screw the plug immediately.

DO NOT put all your effort into transfer cases, they are aluminum, they will crack and break. Ideally you should use torque stick to screw the plug, but even without it do not apply excessive force.

The picture of the oil and hand pump are attached.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help.

So here is an update for anyone who might make this mistake in future. I contacted the dealership and they recommended Castrol BOT720 or any oil of grade 75W-90.

Using a 10$ hand pump, you can top it up. In my case the drained oil was 250ml, so i topped up with 250ml Castrol 75W-90. It's definitely gonna be a little messy, just make sure to stop the oil from coming out and screw the plug immediately.

DO NOT put all your effort into transfer cases, they are aluminum, they will crack and break. Ideally you should use torque stick to screw the plug, but even without it do not apply excessive force.

The picture of the oil and hand pump are attached. View attachment 4520 View attachment 4521
Where did you fill it up?

·
Registered
5 Posts
From the same plug that i accidentally opened. Used hand pump to fill it.
How did you get the 200ml back in if you lost that amount it would have been above the plug ?.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How did you get the 200ml back in if you lost that amount it would have been above the plug ?.
I’m not sure what you’re asking. Could you please re phrase your question so that i can understand better.
anyways let me explain it again. So i unscrewed the bottom of the transfer case. Around 200 ml of oil came out, i quickly screwed it back. After that i bought new oil and a hand pump. With the help of hand pump i filled back almost the same amount of new oil.
it gets really messy every time you screw and unscrew though. Hope that explains.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m not sure what you’re asking. Could you please re phrase your question so that i can understand better.
anyways let me explain it again. So i unscrewed the bottom of the transfer case. Around 200 ml of oil came out, i quickly screwed it back. After that i bought new oil and a hand pump. With the help of hand pump i filled back almost the same amount of new oil.
it gets really messy every time you screw and unscrew though. Hope that explains.
Ok I get what you mean, you filled above the plug level with your pump then quickly tried to get the plug back in.
I just wondered how you filled above the plug level without loosing all the oil again.
There must be a higher fill point.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm confused too. It looks like that plug you took out is on the bottom. So if you open it up and oil runs out, then put the plug back in to stop more from coming out, it seems that when you opened it back up to add 200ml back in, it would have just run out as soon as you were adding it back in.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Lemmy999, It's an optical illusion, the plug is on the side of the transfer case, towards the bottom :)

Ok, thanks. I have spent quite a bit of time under mine, but not in the last 6 months so I didn't quite remember. But it still seems if fluid ran out when he took the plug out, then it would have been difficult to add more without it running out. But I know 75W-90 is pretty thick and I guess you could always jack the car up in a way so it would accept it without running out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How did you put oil in then? It would be like draining the oil from the engine and trying to put a quart in it through the drain plug. It seems it would just all run out.
The plug is actually at the bottom and yes 75W-90 is thick.

You also need to know that even though oil is gonna come out, but it's really thick (not like engine oil) so you can actually stop the flow comparatively easily.

So here is the solution: Once you open the plug you will find the oil running out so what you're gonna do is immediately use paper towel or a cloth towel to stop the flow.

Keep the towel right next to plug all the time while unscrewing so you won't waste much oil.

Next you will have hand pump already prepared with oil, you are gonna insert the pipe without letting any more oil coming out. Some oil is still gonna come out and It's gonna be messy for sure but it's not impossible to fill it.

In my case after i accidentally opened the plug 250ml oil came out.
While pouring the oil back approximately another 50ml came out.
So i injected 300ml just to make sure the right quantity.

Hope this helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts