Evoque Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Red Dynamic (with black rooftop since I went to Georgia, of course) last August (2012). One of the things that I noticed after owning the car a few months was that I did not smell the world anymore. The air filtration system was amazing and I could be driving right behind a polluting semi or next to road kill and nothing. So impressed, in fact, I brought it up to husband's attention and he agreed. Anyway, I took it in to dealer for first year service this past September. The moment I drove off, I smelled everything, not just trucks and smoke but things like wet pavement and cigarettes. Took it in and I got the "little lady" treatment and a talk about how there's nothing that will protect me from smelling the world and how I could just manually adjust the air circulation system. I was pretty upset, but ultimately decided it to let it go since the dealer pretty much has the market cornered in Ga. It has gotten worse and now so much smoke and fumes invades the cabin, I get bad headaches and even nausea during bad traffic conditions. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? I've contacted the dealer again and I am waiting to hear back but it would be very helpful to get thoughts from other owners so I have ammunition to protect against "it's just you, lady" responses. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It is not "just you, lady". I do not smell the outside much at all either. I love that. I also do not get dust in the car. That is awesome. I leave the recirc mode in "Auto" at all times. I am not even sure what taking it to manual will do. I never took the time to look it up. Anyway, the dealer changed the cabin filter during the complementary first service (done at 7800 miles). I never had a problem before, and don't have a problem now. Of note, when they were changing the filter, they accidentally unhooked a wire and induced a problem with the transmission. The transmission would not automatically shift to park when the car was shut off. In fact you could not shut the car off unless it was in park. I had another dealer look at it and they fixed it in a day.

My point is that to change the cabin filter, it is very labor intensive, and not a straight forward process. The second dealer said that it was quite difficult in fact and takes a couple of hours. Maybe they did not re-install the cabin filter when they did your service, did not get it seated properly??? My two cents. Take it back and have them look at it again.

Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your post rwsave. This will help me a lot. I just dropped it off at the dealer and will share your info. The issues started, dramatically after I took it to the first complimentary service, so there's no other explanation. Like you, up to that point, I was extremely impressed with the auto-air circulation system. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
242 Posts
There a two filters available. One is carbon impregnated to stop odors. The other is without the carbon. Here's a good video about changing the cabin air filter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As for me the Auto circulation DOES bring smells from outside but only if there's a polluting source (such as a truck smoking in front of me)....I active (press & hold) the manual button usually when I'm at traffic light or traffic congestion you know and then the cabinet is isolated from any smells .... this's since I bought the car 3 months ago ...I don't know if this's the standard options or if there's somthin wrong as you said! :s
try to read the manual book you might get a clue

·
Registered
58 Posts
Auto is recirculating inside air, Manual is bringing in filtered air from outside, correct?

Since we are on the subject, what does MAX do for me? Is that the maximum amount of air coming out as in comparison with pressing all 3 arrows (Up, Down, Out)? I think I am just as lazy in not reading the manual.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Auto is ecirculating insid air, Manual is bringing in filtered air from outside, correct?

Since we are on the subject, what does MAX do for me? Is that the maximum amount of air coming out as in comparison with pressing all 3 arrows (Up, Down, Out)? I think I am just as lazy in not reading the manual.
Center AUTO control: Computer uses all features A/C, heating and ventilation (recirc. and non- recirc. ) to give you the best environment at the temperature you've selected.

Recirculation Button auto/manual:

Recirculation auto: Computer senses the interior humidity and pollution and uses a combination of recirculated and non recirculated air to make optimum environment.

Recirculation manual: Ventilation switches to closed recirculation (example use if a smoking bus or truck pulls in front of you and you want to switch over quickly to avoid the diesel/oil smell.)

Max Button:

Computer chooses combination of features for quickest defogging and defrost.

·
Registered
68 Posts
"The second dealer said that it was quite difficult in fact and takes a couple of hours." My dealer charges $130 per hour. That equates to about $260 labor to install a $35 filter. The posted video has it done in less than 10 minutes. The internet certainly is a great resource when it comes to saving money.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Auto is ecirculating insid air, Manual is bringing in filtered air from outside, correct?

"Max" turns on the defogger, as well as front, rear, and side mirror defrosters.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just installed a new "carbon" cabin filter. I took about 15 minutes. Filter was a MANN filter purchased on eBay for about $20 with free shipping. The original filter was a carbon filter and after 26,000 miles it was noticably dirty. I can't believe the dealer charges 1.5 hours to do this work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Auto brings air from the outside, manual recirculates from the inside. The great majority of cars are wired this way. It is more efficient as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just bought a 2012 all white Evoque with 73k miles. It is an awesome car. I drive about 120 miles per day and just put 10k miles on it.

I just changed the cabin filter few minutes ago, it's not easy, but it took me only 45min. and I was taking my time watching youtube videos etc... a mechanic would probably do it in 20-30min. unless they are drunk or they are ripping you off.

I also get the fumes in the car, not from outside, from my own car, it gives me nausea and makes me sick. This happens with the heater on, not the AC.

I' haven't tried the new filter yet, but I doubt it would solve the issue.

I will update this post as soon as I find out what it is.

Thank you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just bought a 2012 all white Evoque with 73k miles. It is an awesome car. I drive about 120 miles per day and just put 10k miles on it.

I just changed the cabin filter few minutes ago, it's not easy, but it took me only 45min. and I was taking my time watching youtube videos etc... a mechanic would probably do it in 20-30min. unless they are drunk or they are ripping you off.

I also get the fumes in the car, not from outside, from my own car, it gives me nausea and makes me sick. This happens with the heater on, not the AC.

I' haven't tried the new filter yet, but I doubt it would solve the issue.

I will update this post as soon as I find out what it is.

Thank you.

Any update on this? ^^ my car, especially when I start it / auto or not with heat on, I smell my own exhaust very strongly. Especially when I initially start or standing idle

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any update on this? ^^ my car, especially when I start it / auto or not with heat on, I smell my own exhaust very strongly. Especially when I initially start or standing idle
If you are starting the car with the windows closed and smell exhaust, I would have the car checked for an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you are starting the car with the windows closed and smell exhaust, I would have the car checked for an exhaust leak.
That's what I was thinking. Any idea how they check this? I assume it's not like there's exhaust being ripped into my car lol... That's be very odd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have to say I was very skeptic, I thought a filter couldn't have been the source of this problem. Well after two weeks and trying the heating and AC in all its modes, finally having the reasons to have it on everyday, it is reallyamzing how GOOD the air is in my car. It feels like pure air. It's really an astounding system.

So YES it was the old filter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts