Evoque Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Evoque. Turbo is starting to whine louder and louder.
Anyone replace the Turbo them selves?
If so any pointers?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes, I did about 13 months ago.

If you search through some of my old posts you will find lots of info. Some have been able to access it from the passenger side wheel well, but I think that would be very difficult unless you break the turbo/manifold in to two parts before you bring it out (which wouldn't be that big of an issue). I purchased a small lift with the $1000s I saved by doing it myself and accessed it from the rear. The manual says to remove the front subframe, but that is definitely not needed. I removed the driveshaft and exhaust system and both wheel well liners. The hardest part was one of the bolts on the manifold to downpipe but I was able to access it with lots of "wobbler" extensions.

When going back I replaced the turbo, exhaust manifold gaskets, the oil line and water line gaskets, the exhaust manifold bolts (the manual says to replace and they are copper so I have been told they should be) and the exhaust gasket (may not be necessary). It was a royal pita the first time I did it, but if I had it again and I had a second pair of hands while dropping the exhaust and 3 piece driveshaft, it would go much more quickly.

BTW, you can find what appears to be identical turbo replacements for about $1000 or a little less, but I got one with the aftermarket cast iron manifold in hopes that it would last longer (because the manifold is almost always what fails). I got it for about $1000. I think the company just buys the manifold from China (and that manifold was available on ebay, at least at the time, for a about $250). Mine has last a little over a year, but I haven't driven that much in the last year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips.
I bought a new Turbo with cast manifold for $330 on eBay and another $30 for the gaskets.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks for the tips.
I bought a new Turbo with cast manifold for $330 on eBay and another $30 for the gaskets.
Wow, what a price! The gaskets were $200 more total for me from LR. Also be sure to replace the little filter in the oil line.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I hadn't looked on ebay since I replaced mine. I guess when pretty much every turbo on these fail, the competition for replacement parts will drive the costs down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Almost done.
I am having a hard time getting the coolant line to the block to line up and screwed back in. Taking a break so hopefully a rested mind and body I can get it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Almost done.
I am having a hard time getting the coolant line to the block to line up and screwed back in. Taking a break so hopefully a rested mind and body I can get it.
I had a problem with one of the lines and it ended up being the orientation of the turbo with the manifold. The mainfold was already attached and I did not want to take it off. Thankfully I was able to loosen up the bolt for the clamp that holds the manifold and turbo together. With that loose I could slightly rotate the body of the turbo so things lined up. I then tightened up the clamp bold and everything after that wasn't so bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My problem is the fitting to the engine block. It is loose at the Turbo. Its a tight fit and I can't see what I am doing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Your issue very well may be different, but connecting to the block was my issues too. Even though it was loose at the turbo, it forced the line off from where it should be just enough that I couldn't even get the bolt started.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts