• Seasuckers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking at bike rack types and their pros and cons. I'm aiming to find the best option for my car.

1.) Roof Rack
Pros:
  • Stable
  • Sturdy
Cons:
  • Will require roof rails
  • A bit pricey
  • I'm 5'7 so I find it hard to put it to the roof
2.) Trunk Rack
Pros:
  • Affordable
Cons:
  • Contacts car paint
  • Can't use trunk when installed
3.) Seasuckers
Pros:
  • Small Footprint
Cons:
  • Will require you to remove bike's front wheel
  • A bit pricey
  • Will be blocking the panoramic roof
Right now I'm leaning towards the trunk rack but a bit skeptical if the spoiler would hold up as I'm not seeing Evoques having trunk racks. Any opinion is highly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
As someone who used to install both Yakima and Thule racks professionally, I believe the best source of advice, especially if you are thinking about a rear mounted rack, would be the rack manufacturer. If it is not suitable for your vehicle, then they will tell you in the guide which tells you what is appropriate for your vehicle. If you have a receiver for a hitch, a hitch rack is the most reliable and easy to use. There are hitch racks that swing open to allow you to open your hatch. Personally, I would avoid the roof rack option (If your car has a panoramic roof) because any slip will leave a crack on your roof, not cheap to replace (unless you have a glass rider on your policy; well worth the extra $50.00 which I know from experience. I had an icicle fall off a roof an hit my car which cracked the pano. Insurance covered the whole thing, but I was lucky to get the only replacement glass in North America at the time. Would have taken weeks otherwise). Anyway, good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Since you prefer not to lift bikes onto the roof- My first choice would be a trailer hitch rack for you. Probably more cost effective to go to uhaul and have a trailer hitch installed than to do the roof rail thing. Then choose from the wide variety of trailer hitch bike racks. (don't go too cheap) Easier to get to and you won't run into your garage with them.

you could get a set of roof rails for ~$250 off ebay. They're ok. Not quite as nice as the expensive rover ones, but they'll do. I use them for a ski rack and other stuff. it works.

A trunk rack, with straps- does hang onto the plastic air spoiler. While I haven't heard of anyone's falling off.... I wouldn't trust it. Looked at that myself and decided ... no way.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I put a 2" hitch on mine and use a 1UP USA rack. I have been a very serious cyclist (road and mountain) for over 25 years and early on I decided I never wanted a roof rack. I know I would foreget and end up damaging the bike or my car. Add to that the added noise and wind resistance and lifting the bikes up on top is a bit of a pain.

Pros (in my opinion)
1. Easy to install/remove bike and no wheel removal
2. No contact with the car an any way
3. The 1UP rack can be taken down to one tray and adjusted to be very close to the bumper. So this makes it quite compact when not being used and allows the rear hatch to open even when it is folded up
4. Much less worry about damaging the panoramic roof or damaging your bike or car by driving under something too short
5. Very stable
6. Can still use trunk with bikes on it because of the bike rack tilt mechanism (a bit of a pain)
7. The hitch can be useful for other things besides just a bike rack

Cons:
1. Cost, the 1UP isn't very cheap and a hitch has to be installed too (not expensive if you do it yourself)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put a 2" hitch on mine and use a 1UP USA rack. I have been a very serious cyclist (road and mountain) for over 25 years and early on I decided I never wanted a roof rack. I know I would foreget and end up damaging the bike or my car. Add to that the added noise and wind resistance and lifting the bikes up on top is a bit of a pain.

Pros (in my opinion)
3. The 1UP rack can be taken down to one tray and adjusted to be very close to the bumper. So this makes it quite compact when not being used and allows the rear hatch to open even when it is folded up
4. Much less worry about damaging the panoramic roof or damaging your bike or car by driving under something too short
5. Very stable
6. Can still use trunk with bikes on it because of the bike rack tilt mechanism (a bit of a pain)

Cons:
1. Cost, the 1UP isn't very cheap and a hitch has to be installed too (not expensive if you do it yourself)

Pros (in my opinion)
5. Very stable

Cons:

Pros (in my opinion)
5. Very stable

Cons:
I realized I haven't included the trailer hitch in the options because it required trimming the fascia but now I'm thinking it's the more solid and cost effective choice. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
plus- if you put a trailer hitch on your Evoque... you could tow something fun behind it... like this: View attachment 4508
Based on what you said, I guess having the hitch attachment would be the most advantageous aside from the options I've mentioned. I was a bit uncomfortable in the idea of having the fascia trimmed to accommodate the hitch receiver but now I think it's a small quirk for the pros it'd bring. Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
just a bit of a trim. the guy at U-haul did it, and did a fine job when installing the rack (but he totally messed up attaching the 7-pin connector and wiring).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts